You can type here any text you want

Front Tires Rubbing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mrose

I need advise from the experts, I installed a set of upper and lower tubular a-arms from Gbody along with a set of stock replacement springs from moog and now my front tires are rubbing the fenders and its dropped the front end at least 2 inches, do i have to use a special spring with this set up in order to have stock ride height. everything else on the front end is stock except the a-arms.

I need advise from the experts, I installed a set of upper and lower tubular a-arms from Gbody along with a set of stock replacement springs from moog and now my front tires are rubbing the fenders and its dropped the front end at least 2 inches, do i have to use a special spring with this set up in order to have stock ride height. everything else on the front end is stock except the a-arms.

What size rims and tires are you running? What is the backspacing on the rims?

Also, recommend you check this thread out, as I had the same issue you did and this talks about how I resolved it (along with a lot of other great information): http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/244936-moog-5658-front-spring-results.html

rims

silver fox; tire size is 225/60-15 ,Rim width is 8", back space is 3.75", this is what came on the car it appers to me that i don't have enough back spacing.

thanks for the help,:smile: Mike

silver fox; tire size is 225/60-15 ,Rim width is 8", back space is 3.75", this is what came on the car it appers to me that i don't have enough back spacing.

thanks for the help,:smile: Mike

Mike,

With 3.75 inches of backspacing, the wheel is sticking out pretty far and causing the rubbing. You have a couple choices:

1. New wheels. An 8 inch wheel with 4.5" of backspacing seems to be pretty good on lowered G-bodys.
2. Get some new springs that will bring the car up some more.
3. Use some of the SPC spring spacers to bring the car up. The spacers are only about $30-$40, so this may be a good interim option until you find some wheels you like. You can find more info on the spacers in the link I posted above.

I hope this helps. It took me several months to get my front end at the right height with no rubbing.

Rob

Wait a minute, just installing a arms doesnt make the car drop 2". Something isnt right here. What MOOG springs did you install? Also what lower A Arms? The BMR's will lower the car about 1". Spohn are the same ride height as stock. Not sure about Brian's brand A Arms. Anyways, you need to find out why the car dropped 2". Not a bad thing in my opinion and like Rob suggested, there are options.

rims

The moog part# 5606 that's the Hd version for the GN & yes i used Brian's upper and lowers he states that with stock springs it will maintain stock ride height. Wrong :frown: my ride height is 25" which really looks cool but with the RJC deep oil pan i've only got about 4" ground clearence.:eek:

Rob will the spacers you used work on top? There's not enough saddle in the lower to add anymore than an 1/2 inch. spacer.

One more question, did you make sure to re-install the rubber insulators on top of the new springs? I'm positive Brians lower control arms dont lower the car 2". Something isnt right here.

The moog part# 5606 that's the Hd version for the GN & yes i used Brian's upper and lowers he states that with stock springs it will maintain stock ride height. Wrong :frown: my ride height is 25" which really looks cool but with the RJC deep oil pan i've only got about 4" ground clearence.:eek:

Rob will the spacers you used work on top? There's not enough saddle in the lower to add anymore than an 1/2 inch. spacer.

The spacers are made for the bottom of the spring. I taped the spacers to the bottom of the spring (they're the exact same shape - spring fits right in, and on the bottom they are shaped like the spring to properly sit in the saddle). I believe you could use any thickness of the spacer you would want to. The spacers will sit in the saddle just fine.

25 inches is a bit low!

Rob

One more question, did you make sure to re-install the rubber insulators on top of the new springs? I'm positive Brians lower control arms dont lower the car 2". Something isnt right here.

yes it had the rubber spacers at he top but they more like gaskets than a spacer. I'm going to call brian Monday and get his thoughts on the problem and as much as i hate it tear the d#mn thing back down :mad:

I found a page on line with some Moog specs, for the 5606 springs the unloaded free length should be 14.64", and the nominal installed height is 11" - measure your spring height (length) with the car on the ground to check the 11" and with the weight off the tire to see how close you come to 14.64" (the spindle will keep the spring compressed some). Oh, the wire diameter is 0.690" so you can check that, too. It really sounds like the wrong part was put in a box, either the springs or something else.

thanks

carl i check the compresed height of the springs its was 9.25":eek: instead of 11" the overall lenght was 15.0" so i believe that moog has screwed me once again.
I talked to brian at gbody today he told me that moog has really screwed him over with boxed wrong parts or parts made in china lately:mad:
I've reordered my springs today and hope i get better results i'll let everyone know what i come up with.

thanks Mike

moog springs

Ok, this is really starting to suck! Talked to Brian at GBody he told me that he is running moog 5662 springs from a 87 Iroc thier spring rate is a little heavy but would work great. I ordered them yesterday installed them today now i'm in worse shape than i was before i can't even move the car because of wheel rub:confused: I reconnected everything without the spring and lowered the car with my floor jack to 26.50" the perfect ride height and measured the distance between the upper and lower spring pearch which was 11" which should be the proper compressed height for the 5606 spring. is it possible to have that many wrong springs even with the 5662 or the 5658 the ride height should be 10.75" which would be ok. Oh by the way I'm really good at switching springs if someone needs help:smile:

Ok, this is really starting to suck! Talked to Brian at GBody he told me that he is running moog 5662 springs from a 87 Iroc thier spring rate is a little heavy but would work great. I ordered them yesterday installed them today now i'm in worse shape than i was before i can't even move the car because of wheel rub:confused: I reconnected everything without the spring and lowered the car with my floor jack to 26.50" the perfect ride height and measured the distance between the upper and lower spring pearch which was 11" which should be the proper compressed height for the 5606 spring. is it possible to have that many wrong springs even with the 5662 or the 5658 the ride height should be 10.75" which would be ok. Oh by the way I'm really good at switching springs if someone needs help:smile:

Moog springs quality control has not been very good since they moved off-shore. Most performance shops won't even recommend them. Since your first spring was just two inches low, I would say go with the spacers (one inch) and call it a day. I am talking from experience here.

I personally have never run the 5662 springs and havent really heard of many people running them. Are you sure you have stock spindles and someone didnt throw a set of BellTech's on there? If they are definately stock, sounds to me the a arms are lowering the car. I would definately go with a set of spacers as Rob suggested. Marc at Savitske Classic & Custom can give you a set that will raise the car right where you want it.

I personally have never run the 5662 springs and havent really heard of many people running them. Are you sure you have stock spindles and someone didnt throw a set of BellTech's on there? If they are definately stock, sounds to me the a arms are lowering the car. I would definately go with a set of spacers as Rob suggested. Marc at Savitske Classic & Custom can give you a set that will raise the car right where you want it.

Ok here's were i'm at reinstalled springs with new rubbers still have same ride height 25". I'm starting to believe You are right and someone has installed drop spindles on the car, they look like there stock. does anyone know the casting #'s or can tell me how to measure these to be sure.

Heres a pic of a stock spindle I just pulled off another thread. The BellTechs have a little smoother of a surface as well.

Attachments

• DSC01521.jpg
    DSC01521.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 181
Heres a pic of a stock spindle I just pulled off another thread. The BellTechs have a little smoother of a surface as well.

you were right :redface: Its got beltech's on it, somewere down the line they have been changed out, but since they were so dirty and nothing else had been done to the front end i just over looked it:frown: but like i said before i'm really good at changing springs now:biggrin: Thanks for everyones help in solving my problem:o

Mike

Back