Fuel Filters Compatible with E85

the filter setup i found has dual inlets and outlets. you can have a pressure transducer at either the rail or at the regulator. have a gauge at the filter in the second port and see what the pressure difference is. when you see a 5psi (maybe 7-8) difference in pressure its time to change. Yes there is ways to do it that are simple but you need to say on top of it. also if the car sits for a extended period of time, and you had a plug or drain at the low point in the tank you can drain the water before you start the car.

it might be nice to have a filter that you don't have to change as much but yet the quality of filtration is not as good neither is the quality of fuel being injected into the motor.

just my .02 of course.
X2 If you wanna go fast, it's going to take some time. It'd be nice if there was something more simple, but alas, between the lot of us, we might be able to figure something out.

I agree! Although it's impossibleto tell how much water is being absorbed. And I didn't like the idea of slowly losing pressure/flow. The standard filters were also quite a bit cheaper.
the filter setup i found has dual inlets and outlets. you can have a pressure transducer at either the rail or at the regulator. have a gauge at the filter in the second port and see what the pressure difference is. when you see a 5psi (maybe 7-8) difference in pressure its time to change. Yes there is ways to do it that are simple but you need to say on top of it. also if the car sits for a extended period of time, and you had a plug or drain at the low point in the tank you can drain the water before you start the car.

it might be nice to have a filter that you don't have to change as much but yet the quality of filtration is not as good neither is the quality of fuel being injected into the motor.

just my .02 of course.

Very good idea with the transducers. Ethanol is hygroscopic though so sumps won't work on an ethanol system because the water is suspended in the alcohol. It will not seperate as it does with standard petrol. I'm not even sure a standard water seperator filter can unbond the water from the ethanol? The "golden rod" filter I was using only says it will remove water from gasoline and diesel. A few special purpose filters claim to be able to unbond water from ethanol... like this one...

At least thats how I read it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WaterGuard-...50302442164?item=350302442164&vxp=mtr#vi-desc

These are E85 injs that have been sitting in an engine for an extended period of time..
Ethanol mess.jpg

I'm going to share my personal experience with 50/50 blend of R85 and 93. background...5+ yr old
Aeroquip SS braided rubber hose, Aeromotive Eliminator in-tank pump with their SS pre-filter, Aeromotive 40 micron SS post filter, GM Flex fuel sensor "Y'd" into return line, 120 injectors, FAST XFI, new Ricks SS tank. Had E85 in tank for less than a year. Car started backfire under acceleration, then wouldn't accelerate, finally wouldn't idle. Long story short, found both fuel filters plugged up, injector baskets plugged up, and several injectors not operating. dropped tank and found black/ brown particles everywhere.
Removed E85 blend out of tank, injectors cleaned by Chuck, replaced inline filter element with 10 micron paper element three times to get all the rubber remnants out and everything is great. FWIW, the stuff that I found will pass through a 40 micron filter and some will pass through the 5 micron fuel injector inlet basket. Will go back to E85 once I switch fuel lines to Teflon lined hose.
Conrad

As I make the conversion it seems like the goal is power at reasonable cost!! The filtering of any fuel is based on clean product at the engine, correct? since e-85 has the water / crud factor wouldn't a good filter at tank and another just before rail do the most to keep it all good?
Is not the makeup of ethanol the reason i.e. octane / cooler & cost an interesting alternative and worth the higher maintenance required? Yes some fuel line updates are suggested but with a 28 yr. old car isn't that a good thing to address anyway?
Theory as based on long term gains with , once any updates are done, minimal grief and good clean power.......................

I'm going to share my personal experience with 50/50 blend of R85 and 93. background...5+ yr old
Aeroquip SS braided rubber hose, Aeromotive Eliminator in-tank pump with their SS pre-filter, Aeromotive 40 micron SS post filter, GM Flex fuel sensor "Y'd" into return line, 120 injectors, FAST XFI, new Ricks SS tank. Had E85 in tank for less than a year. Car started backfire under acceleration, then wouldn't accelerate, finally wouldn't idle. Long story short, found both fuel filters plugged up, injector baskets plugged up, and several injectors not operating. dropped tank and found black/ brown particles everywhere.
Removed E85 blend out of tank, injectors cleaned by Chuck, replaced inline filter element with 10 micron paper element three times to get all the rubber remnants out and everything is great. FWIW, the stuff that I found will pass through a 40 micron filter and some will pass through the 5 micron fuel injector inlet basket. Will go back to E85 once I switch fuel lines to Teflon lined hose.
Conrad
What material is used in that hose? I've been using nitrile for several years without any issues. Nitrile is fully compatible.

Belie, you are correct that we MUST maintain our cars. E85 does require a little more than gasoline. I recommend you either talk to hose manufacturer or use Teflon. Paper or SS....up to you. I can tell you the filter basket in the fuel injectors is good down to 5 microns so get as close to 5 as you can. IMHO, rubber fuel line hose is NOT a good idea!
Conrad

Belie, you are correct that we MUST maintain our cars. E85 does require a little more than gasoline. I recommend you either talk to hose manufacturer or use Teflon. Paper or SS....up to you. I can tell you the filter basket in the fuel injectors is good down to 5 microns so get as close to 5 as you can. IMHO, rubber fuel line hose is NOT a good idea!
Conrad

Just got another set of 120#r's on E85.
3 would clik under power, but not spray. The other 3 worked w/1 of them leaking.
Pulled the baskets>>>Same as the foto I posted. [Post #45]
Tried several "triks", of which none worked.
Baskets looked dirty, but the contamination was mostly all below the baskets.
Bottom line suggestion to the owner:
Change filters, clean tank, get rid of the rubber line. [Return in his case.]

Oh ya, buy a new set of inj.

Chuck, based on your findings & experience what is a diligent / aware person & concerned user of E85 to do to prevent such grief ? Does a 10 gal. cleanout with gas do it ? What's your thoughts on some F.I. cleaning additives with gas every 100 gal. of E85? Realizing that overall condition of the entire fuel system comes into play, assuming a clean updated system is intact would the above prevent these problems?
Appreciate your input and hope all is well with you............

As you mentioned, start w/ a clean system.
I would use a pair of filters. A 40M before the pump, 10M after, if external. If in tank, be sure the filter socks are compatible w/85. All accessible filters should be replaceable/cleanable.
I guess you could still use 2 filters w/ the in tank pumps. Put the 10M as close to the rail as possible.
Use compatible lines. PTFE, or nitrile rubber.
An annual check up on the inj baskets is in order. An otoscope is a good tool. U can check the baskets, and read spark plugs w/ it. $40/Ebag.
Carrying it a bit further, replace the baskets & o'rings every yr.
There are special o'rings and filter baskets available for 85 apps. Considerably more $
The meth racers are using 2-3 inline filters and removing the inj baskets.
Washing out w/ gas would only move the crud up to the inj baskets. Unless, the gas dissolves it.

We had a set of ID2000 die on us as a result of leaving them sit in open air after ethanol running. Since then we run Lucas fuel additive and when ever we have our motor apart for an extended period I put the injectors in a jar of normal unleaded pump gas. Stops the rust and corrosion.

I also put fresh filters in the injectors before putting them back in. No problems since. We use a single -10 Magnaflow filter at the rear.

Last edited:
We had a set of ID2000 die on us as a result of leaving them sit in open air after ethanol running. Since then we run Lucas fuel additive and when ever we have our motor apart for an extended period I put the injectors in a jar of normal unleaded pump gas. Stops the rust and corrosion.

I also put fresh filters in the injectors before putting them back in. No problems since. We use a single -10 Magnaflow filter at the rear.

Sounds like you have a plan that works!(y)

I bought a fram fuel filter from advance auto, i hope it works for me lol