Fuel Filters Compatible with E85

I agree. The dual stock fuel filters look great. How about some pictures of the fittings (the "Y"'s) on either end of the filters.
Conrad

Gang,
I sent an e-mail late last night to Jared Cox with Aeromotive inquiring about compatibility of E85 with their product line. He replied this morning that their 10 micron filter (P/N 12301 w/paper filter media) was the only item that was not compatible. They now offer a compatible 40 micron filter (P/N 12335 w/stainless steel filter media) for use as a pre-filter. I think it is -10AN.

They also have a 3/8" NPT 40 micron filter w/SS filter media.

Conrad

I agree. The dual stock fuel filters look great. How about some pictures of the fittings (the "Y"'s) on either end of the filters.
Conrad

theres a block on each end of the filters,looks to be custom made.....Ive since replaced the filters and did not notice any abnormality's.also they were ac delco OEM to the turbo Buick.heres the two pics i have.

Attachments

• 03-27-07_0840.jpg
    03-27-07_0840.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 03-27-07_0841.jpg
    03-27-07_0841.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,763
Wow, thanks for the pictures. I have never seen a fuel log like that! Does anyone know who makes (made) that? It certainly is slick! Even the bracket looks pro. Speedway Motors makes a two hole square aluminum fuel log but inlet is 1/4" and outlets are 1/8" (cross-section is 1" square). It would need modification to work like the one on the GN. Call them for price and P/N at 800-736-3733.
Conrad

Fuel filter...

I haven't posted for a while...head gaskets...then porting heads....then other stuff....

Anyway, that's what I was thinking, do parallel stock filters. I am interested if you find a source for this log or there is always DIY!!!

Ps. I checked my stock fuel filter after 1 + year in E85 constantly....I can't see any signs of deterioration yet.

thanks,

Jay

that dual fliter setup looks kind of restrictive.. sure, you got twice the filter area, but the fuel has to make two 90 degree turns before getting the filters, and two 90 degree turns after the filters. so everall flow is probably the same as a single filter.
if i was gonna do something like that, i'd use a 45 degree "Y" splitter before and after the filters.

Wow, thanks for the pictures. I have never seen a fuel log like that! Does anyone know who makes (made) that? It certainly is slick! Even the bracket looks pro. Speedway Motors makes a two hole square aluminum fuel log but inlet is 1/4" and outlets are 1/8" (cross-section is 1" square). It would need modification to work like the one on the GN. Call them for price and P/N at 800-736-3733.
Conrad

my car was modified by Michigan automotive corporation for the us gov in 1987.....not sure if they made the parts or if they had them produced......

that dual filter setup looks kind of restrictive.. sure, you got twice the filter area, but the fuel has to make two 90 degree turns before getting the filters, and two 90 degree turns after the filters. so overall flow is probably the same as a single filter.
if i was gonna do something like that, i'd use a 45 degree "Y" splitter before and after the filters.

probably is...it had two pumps (all my research/papers says) that were custom made(and triggered the second pump by a vacuum switch),in the tank,it now has one walbro 340 and so far it keeps up with the 38 inj and a ta49 turbo.....keep in mind im only running gasoline now...i would need bigger injectors and another chip to run meth......but first there would have to be a place to buy....

Aeromotive's E85 compatible 40 micron SS post-pump fuel filter is PN 12335. It is -10 in/-10 out. Check with Jegs, Summit, Cotton's Performance and JD's Performance. ~$115 + shipping.
Conrad
Hot Air

that dual fliter setup looks kind of restrictive.. sure, you got twice the filter area, but the fuel has to make two 90 degree turns before getting the filters, and two 90 degree turns after the filters. so everall flow is probably the same as a single filter.

after all this time,i know youre right......im looking for the parts to use one filter,and remove all this (the setup will be saved and stored of course)....im running 100% e85 and i love it..........22 psi...........TT chip,two walbros,60's,etc......

I haven't posted for a while...head gaskets...then porting heads....then other stuff....

Anyway, that's what I was thinking, do parallel stock filters. I am interested if you find a source for this log or there is always DIY!!!

Ps. I checked my stock fuel filter after 1 + year in E85 constantly....I can't see any signs of deterioration yet.

thanks,

Jay

Update: I checked the filter again last week and saw no signs of deterioation to the paper or the bonding material.

Jay

Aeromotive recently came out with an E85 compatible 40 micron stainless steel element fuel filter. Is has -10AN in/out. PN for the entire filter is 12335 (~$130), PN for the filter element only is 12635 (~$40). As it turns out, the filter will fit into their 10 micron filter housing PN 12301. So, if you already have filter 12301, you can swap out the paper filter for a SS filter for $40! Jegs PN for the element is 027-12635. I'm sure JDsPerformance.com and Summit have both the complete filter and the filter element as well.
Conrad
"Hot Air"

09/03/2009

Found a good cheep filter that you can get at any auto parts store
Filter and canister WIX 24003 7 micron $55
Filter and canister WIX 24744 24 micron $26
WIX 24004 7 micron replacement element $14
Here is the WIX description of the filter only thing is the inlet and outlet is ¾ NTP.
Can use w/ ethanol or methanol (7 micron) All Applications Style: Fuel Cartridge (Special Type) Filter Service: Fuel Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 7.937 Outer Diameter: 1.687 Inner Diameter Top: Closed Inner Diameter Bottom: 0.534 Max Flow Rate: 12 GPM Nominal Micron Rating: 7 Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. 15194 1.887 1.609 0.139

Trick flow and fuel lab also has very good filters-fuel labs also have a check valve built in.

Has anyone measured the pressure drop across an OEM filter? The pressure drop was huge on my factory talons filter. Very similar to the the OEM buicks. I used tractor equipment on my e85 setup. Takes up alot of space, but it's cheap and readily available. I used 1/2 SS hard lines from a brewery company. It's ugly...but functional and cheap. Originally I used the spin on filter with water separator. As the filter gets filled up with water if flows less and less. Not a good idea! I've run these filters for 2 years now. Changing them out each winter. I split the filter's and they looked fine.

e69wAVXBnAHmrgYXOnereuMJ6MkHVDO06f3pRnj_uToeQbC40FTz_YQci2SXi-sdiZP9F9j7Ga9YFYOuDi-hqhbwQB8MKFO8CGwfPfA6WB07Hwpgzt-PMhLx5WG27dMlD9NHfrcucHnB

http://www.google.com/products/cata...P5AoT7XJIqbs2QWVxsTDAg&sqi=2&ved=0CIEBEPMCMAI

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

newfuelpickup.jpg

water separation is a good thing. you just need to keep a clean filter on the system . aeromotive turned me onto a 4 micro filter that i will be using that will also separate water. just need to keep a eye on pressure drop

I agree! Although it's impossibleto tell how much water is being absorbed. And I didn't like the idea of slowly losing pressure/flow. The standard filters were also quite a bit cheaper.

the filter setup i found has dual inlets and outlets. you can have a pressure transducer at either the rail or at the regulator. have a gauge at the filter in the second port and see what the pressure difference is. when you see a 5psi (maybe 7-8) difference in pressure its time to change. Yes there is ways to do it that are simple but you need to say on top of it. also if the car sits for a extended period of time, and you had a plug or drain at the low point in the tank you can drain the water before you start the car.

it might be nice to have a filter that you don't have to change as much but yet the quality of filtration is not as good neither is the quality of fuel being injected into the motor.

just my .02 of course.