You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump install ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quiky One

I've got all the parts out of the way. All the shields, the exhaust, and the relays unplugged. Do you have to take the panhard bars all the way off to get the tank off? How much will the suspension travel if you take them off? Also, how do you take the bolts off that are on the rear of the straps.

Thanks Jason

I always take the panhard bars off.You are going to need all the room you can get.Did you lower the rear as much as possible,without taking it totally out?Once you take the 2 15mm bolts out of the front of the straps,it will come down and you need to twist it out of the rear mounting plate.Also dont forget to take out the filler neck piece inside the gas door.Also there is a small plastic piece inside the wheelwell as well.You dont have to remove it,but it gives you access to move the filler neck around.Its not a hard job at all,just take your time.

Steve86TA said:
I always take the panhard bars off.You are going to need all the room you can get.Did you lower the rear as much as possible,without taking it totally out?Once you take the 2 15mm bolts out of the front of the straps,it will come down and you need to twist it out of the rear mounting plate.Also dont forget to take out the filler neck piece inside the gas door.Also there is a small plastic piece inside the wheelwell as well.You dont have to remove it,but it gives you access to move the filler neck around.Its not a hard job at all,just take your time.
It's up on the my lift. Thats as low as the rear is. How much lower will it lower with the panhard bars off?

Thanks Jason

Quiky One said:
It's up on the my lift. Thats as low as the rear is. How much lower will it lower with the panhard bars off?

Thanks Jason

Shocks will fully extend and keep it from going any further.

Here what mine looked like when I yanked the stocker..........gotta love the circa 90' rustmaster..... :D

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 192
Wouldnt it drop some more with the shocks diconnected? I have to do this project too in the couple of days..I dont wanna deal with it..LOL

I dont want to disconnect the shocks or the springs. I guess I'll unhook the panhard bars but will the drop the rear any????

Help! Jason

Pull panhard bars. If memory serves me right, rear should drop down as far as the shocks will let it. Remove both lower shock bolts, with a jack under
the differential. Lower the jack some more, brake lines will limit it from dropping any more. That is enough to get the tank out.

BTW - springs will fall out on there own at this point.

1BADDAM said:
Pull panhard bars. If memory serves me right, rear should drop down as far as the shocks will let it. Remove both lower shock bolts, with a jack under
the differential. Lower the jack some more, brake lines will limit it from dropping any more. That is enough to get the tank out.

BTW - springs will fall out on there own at this point.
So the brake lines will hold the rear up? I'm not going to do that...Again, will just pulling the panhard bars let the rear down?

Jason

Quiky One said:
So the brake lines will hold the rear up? I'm not going to do that...Again, will just pulling the panhard bars let the rear down?

Jason

Again.. :rolleyes: pull the bars and the rear will drop as far as the shocks will let it.No the brake lines WONT hold the rear up,1BADDAM said "brake lines will limit it from dropping any more."

Quiky One said:
Thanks. And what was I suppose to get from "the brake lines will limit it from dropping anymore"? Sounds to me like the brake lines will hold it up. Which I wouldnt do. Thanks for the help! :D

Jason

Simon didn't say to remove the jack from the differential, either. ;)

Thats what it's there for, so you don't have stretched brake lines.

1BADDAM said:
Simon didn't say to remove the jack from the differential, either. ;)

Thats what it's there for, so you don't have stretched brake lines.
Yeah haha...Well the car is on the lift. I disconnected the panhard bars and it didn't drop any. Im ready now to drop the tank. Just need another set of hands.

Jason

Got the tank out. Took about a half hour to bend the neck. Was very careful around it as I didnt want to break off the welds from the neck to the tank. Will get it done tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

For future reference... DO NOT BEND THE NECK>

All you needed to do is loosen the retaining clamp on the brack lines and move the rear end down a few more inches. Yes disconect shocks, yes disconnect panard bar, and move brake lines down. Leave the TQ arm in place

Now you'll have a crooked neck everytime you fill the gas :mad:

Sorry I got here too late.

Razor said:
For future reference... DO NOT BEND THE NECK>

All you needed to do is loosen the retaining clamp on the brack lines and move the rear end down a few more inches. Yes disconect shocks, yes disconnect panard bar, and move brake lines down. Leave the TQ arm in place

Now you'll have a crooked neck everytime you fill the gas :mad:

Sorry I got here too late.
Hmmm...Thanks for the advice but the damage is done. All the threads I've read you have to bend it. I bent it about an inch. I'm gunna try and bend it back when I put the tank back up.

Jason

I've done more than few TTA tanks.. I dont want to remember how many. Those bend the neck threads have been around for YEARS... not needed if you have proper clearance.

If the tank is empty, should be simple enough to install/deinstall to get the neck corrected.

j13smiley said:
or you could have cut an access panel behind the rear seats and not done all that work ;)
Could have but didnt want to be lazy like the previous owner. Spent about 3 hours extra figuring out what he butchered. Thanks to Jan or I would still be working on it.

Jason

Back