You can type here any text you want

Fuel tank removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Looking for steps on how to remove a gas tank from a 87GN. Fuel is still in tank.
Thanks

It was a few years ago when I did mine Bruce, but I believe these are the steps I used.

*1st step is to drain the gas out of the tank.
*At the end of your fuel rail remove the cap and schraeder valve.
*Find a long piece of clear vinyl tubing 6' or 7' long and slip it over the open end of fuel rail *(note it must be a tight / snug fit so it won't leak).
*Insert opposite end of tubing into a gas (jerry) can.
*Use a jumper wire inserted into black open connector (the one beside the empty green tachometer connector located behind alternator ) with other end to the power side of the alternator. (this will activate your fuel pump allowing you to drain your gas tank).
*remove tank straps & hoses & electrical connections.
I used a car hoist and found it pretty easy, but you may want to have a 2nd set of hands around to help hold things in place.

dave

Thanks,but since the fuel is about 8years old we dont want to build any pressure. Any other way to drain it with out using power?
Bruce

Thanks,but since the fuel is about 8years old we dont want to build any pressure. Any other way to drain it with out using power?
Bruce

Guess you could syphon it out the fuel tank fill tube with a hose.

Is this to remove the tank or the fuel? I'm getting confuzzzled :p

He wants to remove his fuel tank. I always drain mine beforehand as it is much easier to do empty vs fighting with a fuel tank full of gas that weighs about 180 pounds. Not sure why he doesn't use the fuel pump to empty it? Stale or not stale gas, it's so simple using the fuel pump and takes very little time.

I just use a 3 ton jack. Jack it up under the tank until there is pressure against it, take the 2 bolts out that hold the straps (believe they are 15 mm??) and then slowly let the jack down until you can get a screwdriver in there to spin the thing that holds the sending unit in place. Very simple and I have done it by myself with a full tank of gas several times. Make sure the jack is in the middle of the tank so it doesn't fall to one side though. My rear fillers are missing so I didn't have to let the tank down much at all to unscrew the sending unit hold down but this may not be possible with fillers in place.

8 years old huh. Sounds like you need injectors removed and cleaned or replaced. You need a new fuel filter, pump and the rubber lines just after the tank should be replaced. Using the pump rail drain method is a good idea if your not experienced enough to drop a G-body fuel tank which is a rather simple job. If you keep the fuel in the tank and things get out of hand on the way down you're going to hurt yourself, damage parts, and really regret not draining it.

8 years old huh. Sounds like you need injectors removed and cleaned or replaced. You need a new fuel filter, pump and the rubber lines just after the tank should be replaced. Using the pump rail drain method is a good idea if your not experienced enough to drop a G-body fuel tank which is a rather simple job. If you keep the fuel in the tank and things get out of hand on the way down you're going to hurt yourself, damage parts, and really regret not draining it.

X2
I agree with you, this was my point exactly!
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" :rolleyes:

My 2 cents....wear safety glasses.....Ask me why? Tank drained, 2 guys lifting tank down (car on lift), me making sure no lines or wires caught....rubber fuel line "flipped" around and sprayed fuel directly in my eye (fuel resting in hose). Run into house, rinse eye for 15 mins, go to emerg., get check and luckily only had a minor burn to eye...anti biotic drops and I'm fine. Gas and eyes don't mix.....

Bruce

If you're pumping the fuel out of the end of the fuel rail, you won't be building any pressure. Fuel age isn't going to be a factor when draining it as described above.

Thanks guys. We discovered the pump is kaput, so we could not pump the old fuel out. Tank came out easy as there wasn't much gas
left in tank.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks guys. We discovered the pump is kaput, so we could not pump the old fuel out. Tank came out easy as there wasn't much gas
left in tank.

Thanks again guys.

Hi Bruce,
I hope you're not talking about #418 ???? :confused:

Dave

No 418 is fine. A buddy of mine bought an 1987 Gn new but it has been parked for 8years. 26000kms on it. Needs tires exhaust , fuel pump for starters.

No 418 is fine. A buddy of mine bought an 1987 Gn new but it has been parked for 8years. 26000kms on it. Needs tires exhaust , fuel pump for starters.

The list of things he may need to replace are rubber (vacuum lines), and maybe seals as I bet they've probably dried out by now. Have a close look before you start it up. Change the oil too.....would strongly suggest you prime the oil pump too before you start it up. I've got a tool for this + caspers cam sensor tool to re-set your cam sensor afterwards. LMK if you wanna borrow them.
I'm sure there will be more things that you'll need to address.

dave

Back