You can type here any text you want

Gas gauge pegged ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stage1gn

Where lies the problem with this ?My gauge is pegged full,does come down slightly,and moves farther when gas is put in.Even shutting the car off,batt disconnected all winter,still pegged ? Is it the sender in the tank,or the actual gauge in the dash ?Anyone else have this happen to their car ?

Thanks,

Paul

Most likely the sender or wiring to the tank. Try disconnecting the connector back at the tank and checking it for corrosion. You may have also lost the ground to the tank. Your sending unit may be bad too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Happened to me with a new sender. Lesson learned, always test it before installing even if new.

I geuss that's about all I can do,check the ground/wiring.It is the orig sending unit in there,never been changed yet,83k miles on car,owned now for 22 years,always garaged,never seen any winters,but I geuss corrosion can still happen on wire connections.

Mine was always showing pegged and after I checked the wires, and sending unit it ended up being the stupid terminals for the cluster needed cleaning up.

Mine was always showing pegged and after I checked the wires, and sending unit it ended up being the stupid terminals for the cluster needed cleaning up.
So you had to pull the cluster ?Was'nt that a PITA ?

So you had to pull the cluster ?Was'nt that a PITA ?
the first time it was, but i followed the steps on steve woods site and it was kinda annoying getting the vss unbolted, and the wires for the boost gauge unhooked. I've had mine in an out completely probably 4 times and its pretty easy now. I cleaned up the terminals for the gage itself when I cleaned up the terminals on the back of the cluster too.

the first time it was, but i followed the steps on steve woods site and it was kinda annoying getting the vss unbolted, and the wires for the boost gauge unhooked. I've had mine in an out completely probably 4 times and its pretty easy now. I cleaned up the terminals for the gage itself when I cleaned up the terminals on the back of the cluster too.
I apologize, Steve Woods site ?

If I remember correctly, the gas gage can easily be tested by unplugging the connector, gage should move in one direction, then rounding the appropriate terminal, and should sweep in the other direction. Not testing for accuracy but will tell you if the gage is functioning or if the problem is in the sending unit.
AG.

I apologize, Steve Woods site ?

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/dash_swap.htm
It has a boat load of info on our cars and trouble shooting. The second half of that howto is on the speedo

On mine I pulled the sending unit and cleaned it up while I was putting a new pump in and found with an analog ohm meter it to be good. Also did the sweep test as turbobitt suggested which showed the gauge itself was okay, but just that I had excessive resistance somewhere in the system.

Last edited:
Unplug the fuel pump connector behind the rear bumper and see what your gas gauge does.

Back