Gauging intrest TH350 swap kits

Sleeper1987

3.8L of Fun!
Im thinking about making some custom parts for our cars and maybe extending out and making other parts as well. Prices will probly be comparible and will be made from hi quality materials So i am trying to get a feel if any of these parts would be of intrest before i make a batch up.

If intrest peaks and i do decide to sell these how much does it cost to sponsor the site/buy a banner ?moderators can p/m me with rates if needed.

Looking at offering

TH350 swap kits that retain the stock 200r4 crossmember.
and would come with everything nuts bolts kick down cable etc including instructions except the shifter linkage , there could be options for adapter plates to use a chevy trans and poly mounts and finishes /powder coat/paint/bare etc..

shooting for the 200-250 range for the kit depending on finish and mount used or will offer the parts seperate also.

Let me know what you guys think and post up if interested .Right now im looking at doing this for a hobby and is in the planning stages.So none are avalible yet.

I would say, typically speaking, that most guys prefer having the OD that the 2004R provides vs the 3 speed TH350.

Once guys get to the point that they need more strength and reliability than a 200 offers, (usually in the low 10 to high 9 second range) they step up to a TH400 rather than the 350.

I don't think there are too many guys switchig to a TH350, in general. There are alot of great vendors out there that can build a 200 to last into the low 11's and high 10's without too much difficulty.

Just my 2 cents.

c&cgn said:
I would say, typically speaking, that most guys prefer having the OD that the 2004R provides vs the 3 speed TH350.

Once guys get to the point that they need more strength and reliability than a 200 offers, (usually in the low 10 to high 9 second range) they step up to a TH400 rather than the 350.

I don't think there are too many guys switchig to a TH350, in general. There are alot of great vendors out there that can build a 200 to last into the low 11's and high 10's without too much difficulty.

Just my 2 cents.

I was thinking alot of people dont have 1,200+ to put into a transmission+ more for a converter that would be reliable or at least i didnt when I put the th350 in my car.I was told i would be unhappy with it in there and to be 100% truthfull im real happy.Thats why i figured id gauge intrest.I figured a few more would run the 350 for the less rotating mass and h/p draw.

Maybe I was was mistaken. Thanks for your input maybe others will chime in and see what they say also.

Here is my POV. I ran a 350 back in the early 90's because they were cheaper than rebuilding the 200-4R. Everything I needed was down at the boneyard. I didn't have to fabricate one part. The only drawback was I was never able to find a torque converter worth a darn for my combo. All things being equal I think a person would be money ahead in the long run by spending the money and having the 200-4R built right the first time. Most people cant fanthom this money saving concept. Sure it cost a lot but if it is done right the first time than thats money in the bank. A converter is going to cost the same reguardless of what trans it is for. I know a 350 is going to have to be rebuilt every season because there will be cheap parts going into it. Same thing, spend the money for the good parts and that puts you back in the same level as a built 200 4R. Seems to me either trans is going to cost the same. Why switch to something that isn't a proven combination? And I'm not talking THM400 here. Just the THM350 to the THM200-4R.

Thanks for the offer.
In race applications I think most are doing the 200, 400 or glide though.
There are very few people using the 350s in the GN.

i put the 350 in my trans because of the ease of it. I only drive it occasionally and my trans guy builds his 350 to live in the high nines. and a little better first gear than the 400. I bought the crossmember at a bone yard for like 20 bucks

jetmech said:
i put the 350 in my trans because of the ease of it. I only drive it occasionally and my trans guy builds his 350 to live in the high nines. and a little better first gear than the 400. I bought the crossmember at a bone yard for like 20 bucks

Around here it is pretty hard to find the correct crossmember.

Looks like so far there is no intrest.

Sleeper1987 said:
Around here it is pretty hard to find the correct crossmember.

The correct crossmember is from a 1978 to 1987 G-body with a Buick V-6 and the THM200C/THM350. GM made millions of them.Quite a few 1981-1987 Regals with the NA 231 out there. Now depending on where you live finding one in good shape might be a challenge. They like to rust out on the ears where the rubber cushion and nut plate are. Maybe I should have bought every good one I have seen from the last 5 or 6 years. Sounds like that part would be where the bulk of your expense in the kit is at. Its hard to compete with the aftermarket when places like G-Force sell a double hump crossmember for around $150.

turbofish38 said:
The correct crossmember is from a 1978 to 1987 G-body with a Buick V-6 and the THM200C/THM350. GM made millions of them.Quite a few 1981-1987 Regals with the NA 231 out there. Now depending on where you live finding one in good shape might be a challenge. They like to rust out on the ears where the rubber cushion and nut plate are. Maybe I should have bought every good one I have seen from the last 5 or 6 years. Sounds like that part would be where the bulk of your expense in the kit is at. Its hard to compete with the aftermarket when places like G-Force sell a double hump crossmember for around $150.

Yeah the price was just an off the wall figure,Thats why i was gauging intrest
Thanks for the info what bad around my area all the yards are private owned and try to sqeeze every penny they can out of a part ,and regals,and g body cars are a rarity in them for the most part.

My stock 200 just went out. How much cheaper is a built 350 or 400 then the stock 200? The crossmember is all you need? I think I remember reading that with a BOP bolt pattern and short tail, the 350 falls right in with the stock driveshaft?? Is there something you have to get for it shift while under boost? If someone could PM or email with what the total cost would possibly be and parts need that would be awesome. As I have no money and don't drive my car everyday anyways to really use the OD. -Thanks, Nick. :cool:

1QUICK85 said:
My stock 200 just went out. How much cheaper is a built 350 or 400 then the stock 200? The crossmember is all you need? I think I remember reading that with a BOP bolt pattern and short tail, the 350 falls right in with the stock driveshaft?? Is there something you have to get for it shift while under boost? If someone could PM or email with what the total cost would possibly be and parts need that would be awesome. As I have no money and don't drive my car everyday anyways to really use the OD. -Thanks, Nick. :cool:

Jegs sells a th350 of around 649.00 ready to go.

I came out under 300.00. Shop smart it may take longer but sometimes works out for you in the end.I was in the same boat couldnt afford to buy another 200r4 or to build it when most kits are in the 300.00 range. I didnt need the overdrive but needed a trans tha would last for a little investment.

1 th350 BOP core - free <got from a ford guy he didnt know what it fit.

2 th350 chevy core-free <broken case

3 used converter - 50.00

4 used converter - free <unknown condition

5 good kit with alto clutches and kevlar band- 60.00 buddy owed a favor

6 kick down cable- 30.00 <searched for a while

7. labor - free < built it myself

8. red stripe modulator, home made vac tube, one way check valve .

*I made my own brackets, and mount pad for mine to use a normal trans mount without changing the crossmember. Modified the kickdown cable to work with the sfi intake and a few other small things.

You can avoid this as stated above by finding a crossmember from a 1978 to 1987 G-body with a Buick V-6 and the THM200C/THM350. as far as the cable I modified a mid 70's 3/4 ton truck cable.

driveshaft fits fine , dunno about the th350 dipstick i modified my old one to work for the factory apearance.cooler lines swap over,may require a rebend

I have a hardly used 350 3000 stall Level 10 torque converter for $250. shipped-i have a level 10 350 built trans i paid over $1300. for and now need a 3500-3600 stall.