Gbodyparts 3" Downpipe doesn't fit

Back_in_Black

Stock headers, Stock Turbo, Brand new Passenger side motor mount, and the pipe touches the frame.

I tried loosening the bolts, jacking up the bottom of the pipe then re-tightening the bolts, but it didn't help.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

Stock headers, Stock Turbo, Brand new Passenger side motor mount, and the pipe touches the frame.

I tried loosening the bolts, jacking up the bottom of the pipe then re-tightening the bolts, but it didn't help.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

What shape are your motor mounts in? That would be where I focused my attention.

It's the mounts. I have one it fits. I have seen several at Brian's installed. Every car is a little different. I did the lift up the pipe thing and it keep mine off the frame.:)

I just put in a brand new Passenger side motor mount, no change. Does that mean I have to put in a $119 HR poly mount?

Would it be worth trying a new drivers side mount?

Normally it is the Drivers side motor mount that gets bad first.
Replacing just the passenger side would raise the passenger side of the motor and tilt the motor to the drivers side which would kick the downpipe over toward the frame.
HTH
David

Hmm, I never thought of that extra tilt, I'll guess i'll try the drivers side next and get back to you guys.

Thanks!

I have the same DP and mine hits the frame as well as the A-arm. I have new motor mounts (driver side is a poly) and I've unbolted and lifted the exhaust and DP 3 times. I've just learned to tolerate it. :mad:

I have same DP and had same problem. Went with HR mounts on both sides. The HR mounts are specifically designed to allow you to tilt the motor in either direction for DP clearance. I have plenty of clearance now, not to mention no need for torque strap.

Check 1 thing that we recently ran into. Our manufacturer is suppose to drill out all 4 holes 1 size up. The bottom on a few of these slipped thru with out being drilled out larger. I found 2 so far.
If you replace your motor mount with a pioneer there is no difference in height then a worn out mount would have.

Brian, what size are the holes supposed to be? If I'm not mistaken mine are all the same size and there is no wiggle room. I'll check again to be sure.

Check 1 thing that we recently ran into. Our manufacturer is suppose to drill out all 4 holes 1 size up. The bottom on a few of these slipped thru with out being drilled out larger. I found 2 so far.
If you replace your motor mount with a pioneer there is no difference in height then a worn out mount would have.

Yeah. I ve seen $hitty mounts cause similar problems. If you use a new GM or HR mount you will be much better off. Usually the engine is sitting too low and needs to be up about 3/8-1/2 inch.

Brian, what size are the holes supposed to be? If I'm not mistaken mine are all the same size and there is no wiggle room. I'll check again to be sure.

There should be enough play to raise & lower it 3/4" at the end of the down pipe test pipe side.
This was the only real resolution I could see to make it fit almost every car out there.
Some were hitting the heater box & some were hitting the frame. This was the same down pipe transferred to 5 different cars. Once we stepped the holes up 1 size we were able to get it to fit on all 5 cars.