You can type here any text you want

gerotor front cover, rev A -- pics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KendallF

Blah blah blah
Well, here are some pictures of my second attempt at a gerotor drive oil pump front cover using the bottom half of a 3800 cover. This time I made a jig to weld it on, used a S2 drysump front cover as the donor for the top half, used 1/4" aluminum for the splice piece, and generally did a better job.

I'm happy even though it was a pain in the *ss to weld. My friend who welded it says he's not doing another unless I break this one. :p

gerotor cover rev A

gerotor cover rev A

gerotor cover rev A

gerotor cover rev A

Kendall,

Your cover looks good!!! I hope it works out as good as it looks.

Question, Why couldn't we use a fwd v6 gerotor front cover from a VIN 3 or B (non- 3800 engine)? The only problems I see are that the waterpump outlet points the wrong way. And this doesn't really present a problem for me because I am using a meizzer pump.

I'd have to block off the pump outlet, make a new plate to mount the electric pump, mount a magnet on the cam gear and fab a lower crank gear to drive the pump.

Have you considered this? Or am I overlooking a show stopper?

Just Thinking Outloud!

Dave

Dave,

I remember the cover you bought on Ebay. Did you figure out if that was a stock or modified part? I haven't found a front cover that fits a 3.8 block and has the gerotor pump. If there is one, that sure would make it easier! :)

The cam sync signal might be a problem, depending on which ECM you're running. The switch from Hall effect to magnetic pickup will make the signal look different. I would like to use the mag pickup and eliminate the stock cam sensor..sure would be neater.

Kendall,

The front cover I got on ebay is a stock 3.8 fwd cover. It was used on a S2 engine as a dry sump cover. The gerotor pump section was epoxied up. All the oil passage holes lined up perfect with the stock front cover gasket.
I don't know why it wouldn't work. It looks like the cover will fit over a gear drive with no problem.

BTW. the cam sensor that goes in the FWD covers are all Hall effect sensors. They produce the exact same signal as the turbo Vin 7 senor. So the ignition module should not know the difference.

The FWD Vin 3,B and L engines from 86 to 88 all use the same ign module as the turbo engine. The 3.0 Vin L engine uses a dual crank sensor instead of a cam sensor. The module just receives a cam signal every rev of the crank and the engine operates MFI not sequential but it is still the same module.

I am going to look for one of these covers for future use. My new motor is already assembled with a stock cover. That gerotor design is really the whip! It will supply more oil than you need....period. The oil presure bypass becomes very critical with a gerotor pump.

Back