Getting my car painted =-{

S

speedy1320

Ok, I am totally frustrated!!!!! I have been waiting forever to get my car into the body shop to get some dings out and have a fresh coat of BLACK put on......yet here's the prob.... Every Frickin body shop in NJ is tooooooo busy to even get my car in....let alone get it painted. I have had "My Name" in with this one shop since January!!! And my car still sits in my garage ,.....waiting..

Anybody else have war stories about getting their cars done?:confused:

too bad your not closer to Chicago, were dead at my shop right now.

The thing is with most body shops is that they really aren't making money off of doing your car. There is always a lot of little stuff that pops up after you get started on a car. To do it properly, it is EXPENSIVE. The real money is in the jobs for the insurance companies. A couple bumper cover jobs on Soccer Mommies mini vans will make a shop more money than a complete on a 15 year old car.

Glen thanks for the offer!!! {Wish I lived in Chicago too!!} You are absolutely correct. Collision work is where the real money is.......it's faster, and usually less labor intensive. {Replace a panel, hood, bumper etc}

I guess what just IRKS me the most is that ALL these shops in my area {3} are just soooooo busy it's like they are doing ME a favor to take my $$$ The other issue is that i keep gettting a lot of BS from the owners of these shops.....they saying soon, soon....and it's been months! {Can you imagine how long my car will actually be in the shop!!! HAAAAAA}

And by the way, were talking 4K+ to do my car here.... not pocket change.

Tom

87WE-4
It GOES;)

paint job woes

Speedy, I know what you're going through, but all is not lost.

I went to about four different shops in the Monmouth-Ocean County area and most say the same thing, that it's not cost -effective for them to shoot whole cars. One idiot even told me the car wasn't worth repainting. I did find one shop though, called Classic Garage in Red Bank, NJ. They paint entire cars for a fair rate, but you may have to wait a short while, depending on the amount of jobs they have lined up.

You can give them a call at 732-741-2450.

They are located at 120 Monmouth St, Red Bank, NJ.

Good luck.

Just from what I know about painting cars. (basically nothing)

If the painter thinks he is doing you a favor by painting your car you will never see it again. :eek: :(

Really, at least a years wait....

Glen,

I am in the chicago area and i do need my car painted badly. Thats of course after i get it running again:D What kinda dollars are we talking about to get it painted up and all pretty like again.

Dan

Hey Dan, I see your from Cal City. I think you've been talking a little bit with my buddy Scott.(TurboTTypeWE4).

I can't give a definate quote, I just paint em.:D But, I would say depending upon if you want the glass taken out, moldings out, and so on, that it usually starts around $2500 and goes up for any body work needed...specifically rust. If there is rust, we probably wont do the job. Just not profitable enough, but if its just little dings, then it shouldn't be too bad. We just started a complete on a small blocked S-10, so it would have to wait untill we get that one done. Maybe a few more weeks. Let me know if you want our number/address.

Why we don't do rust-
We had a little old lady come in with a Bonneville she just bought at a used car lot. We were being paid to do a little rust repair on the bottom of the door and quarter. We started sanding on the quarter, and it started falling apart. we were only going to spot in the quarter and paint the door.:eek: underneath the quarter there was about 1 inch thick of a fiberglass/bondo mixture, which was stuck to CHICKENWIRE! You would never have been able to tell, but the quarterpanel was completely formed out of chickenwire. Of course the lady didn't want to pay for a new quarter and insisted that we pay for it since all we were supposed to do was fix a little rust at the bottom. I don't know who got stuck with the bill, but it was not cool.

Yeap, just bought some parts from him last nite. Like i said the car isnt running at this point. So it would be a few weeks before i could even do anything as well. Ill get back to you on the paint job after i see how much cash i have left after the rebuild. I was just curious about a ballpark number. Thanks

Dan

Wawazat.....thanx for the sympathy! And thanx for the # of the body shop......but I really don't want my car too far from home...if you know what I mean.

The guy I want to take it too is in Bordentown right on rte 130. And would you believe what he is finishing up........an 87 GN. I did a "drive by" today and it looks AWESOME {wish it was mine being finished up} Anyway, he is telling me I am NEXT.

Now that car has been there for 5 months......BUT it was much worse than mine.....that's a good sign at least.

DAn......I think I can give you a fair idea of cost since I have had my car to three diff body shops. IF you DONT Strip the car.....you are looking at anywhere from 3500-5000 If you strip it and do it really nicely 5500-7000 hope that helps.

tom
87 WE-4
IT GOES