Getting ready for the V8 swap

If you can actually get it for that , then its a smoking deal. Thats over 300.00 less than most places.

Turbo Terry I sent you some pictures of a 23 degree head, 355 SBC fresh complete & ready to go built for turbo application, I built it for a customer that has asked me to sell it for him. Bolts right into a g-body chassis All it would need is headers & ignition.$12,000 if you or anyone else may be interested let me know I'll put you in contact with him. Regards Lou

Block

Well I have decided to postpone the Dart build and build a cheaper short block so I can get the show on the road. I came across a super cheap SBC 3970010 casting with 20 under the timing chain cover. According to my research it one of the better OEM blocks made.
I'm still looking to build the 377 inch motor 4" bore 3.75 stroke, but not with the callies magnum crank, but the callies compstar crank and rods.

I talked to AFR today and the best heads they make that fits within the rules are the "210" cnc and they will portmatch the edelbrock victor efi manifold for 250.
I takled to JE pistons about using a 6" rod with this set up and the 65 cc heads and they said 10 to 1 cr is doable.

As soon as the block gets checked out I'm going to start ordering parts.

We will just have to see where this puts me for now in the True 10.5 class.

I'm hoping this set up will handle 900 hp at the motor for a season. Time will tell.

I'm still looking to run the roller cam setup on this combination.

No going back now!!!

The car engine compartment has been stripped. I'm working on the wiring now. I want all the wiring to be hidden and the engine compartment to look simple.:biggrin:

I dropped off the 010 block today, but due to the backup it's going to be 3 months before the engine will be done. We talked about moving the compression upto the high tens or 11 to 1.

Dusty that was the super victor and not the victor right? I am going with the AFR 210 eliminator head. 65cc chambes, and spread port. Part#1106. I think these heads will be more than enough for the 76mm turbo.
Now I have to decide if the new XFI with traction control will be justified for the price tag it carries, or I should just send my old FAST system in and have it reconfigured.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,141
Turbo Terry I sent you some pictures of a 23 degree head, 355 SBC fresh complete & ready to go built for turbo application, I built it for a customer that has asked me to sell it for him. Bolts right into a g-body chassis All it would need is headers & ignition.$12,000 if you or anyone else may be interested let me know I'll put you in contact with him. Regards Lou

I thought that was going in mine? :D

All-pro heads can't be beat as far as quality. I don't think you'll see a power difference because of the small turbo. Either head will move more air than the turbo can support. I'd go with the one that was the most attainable and the easiest to get parts for. They both say standard valvetrain but in some cases you still need an offset rocker to make the geometry right. You'll want the Jesel SS series rockers so check availability for those heads. I ran the Brodix Track 1's and loved them.

I used the Victor E EFI from edelbrock.

If your suspension is right you won't need traction control with the power you'll be making. It will however help if you mis read the track conditions and can save what would be an aborted run. If you do get traction control and it's active during the run you need to be looking at the suspension to see if you can make some changes to improve traction.

Update

XFI black box with traction control arrived last week from Cal. I decided on the AFR 210 spread port heads but apparently there not in production yet. They said call back in a couple weeks. Still waiting on the short block from the machine shop. Interior is out and most of the electrical has beed cleaned up and minimized to the essestials, including hiding the head lights and marker wiring.

Got my 25.5 sfi roll cage rule book, so I'll be starting on the cage soon. I'm thinking I might not install the "funny car" section around my head since I might want to drive this gas hog race gas burnin brute on the street and don't want my head bashed on the cage with out a helmet.:biggrin:

Just got to get the car raised and leveled and the widows removed and headlined redone as the carcus sags in the middle.

Hoping for completion by June:rolleyes:

terry i made over 1400 hp in my twin turbo syclone with the 010 block, steel gm crank, dart pro1 heads,and only run 12-15 lbs of boost. i had a girdled block we even poured it with rock block 1/2 way one time .....i dorve it on the street and raced it every weekend. when you run it on the edge its a ticking time bomb so make sure you have plenty of spare parts!!! if you go to Home and look @ the syclone video you will see the truck ran 9.04@157 in a 4000 lb truck

Approved Heads

Small Block Chevrolet
• Chevrolet Factory OEM Iron & OEM Aluminum, Vortec (L31) 10239906, 12558062
• CFE BMF RR10 & RR230 Version Only – 23 Degree
• All Pro RR-245, 23 Degree, Standard Version
• All Pro LS1-LS6 Hurricane Heads – 15 Degree Only
• Pontiac 867, 23 Degree, Raised Runner, Standard Version
• Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, E-Tec 170cc & 200cc
• Edelbrock Victor Jr. & Victor & CNC, 23 Degree, Standard & Raised Runner
• Edelbrock Victor Part # 77559 23 degree Raised Runner head
• Edelbrock/Lingenfelter LS1 Head
• Air Flow Research 180,190,195,210,220,227cc Street, Racing & Raised Runner Head
• Air Flow Research 180cc LT 1, 195,210,220,227CC LT4, 215CC LT4RR, 205,225 LS1
• Brodix, RR 180, ST, (WPSY, T1, T1X, 8, 8 Pro, 10, 10X, 11, 11X, Standard & Raised Runner)
• Dart Iron Eagle 165cc thru 230cc, Race Series 220cc, Pro 1 200cc thru 230cc
• Canfield 23-500 – 23 Degree, 23-600 – 23 Degree
• Trick Flow – 23 Degree
• GMPP 23-Deg Fast Burn Heads, # 12467713, Bowtie Std & Raised #10051101, 12480034
• World Products S/R Torquer, Sportsman II 200 cc Iron & Alum
• World Products Motown 205 cc & 220 cc Iron & Alum
• Pro Top Line Pro 23 Degree Iron & Alum Std & Raised Runner –215, 222, 256, 222, 256cc
• Pro Top Line 23 Degree Pro Lightning 180, 200, 223, 228, 242, 235cc Iron & Alum

Well here is the approved head list I finally got it.

Parts coming in

I still have not ordered the heads but some of the other stuff I have ordered has come in.

Got the XFI, RJC 475 megacooler (very nice piece!), and my ebay air/hydraulic pump and cylinder for the tubing bender. Unfortunatlly I can't find a supplier for the 1 5/8" 4130 chromemoly tubing.

The short block is still at the machine shop. I have the car way up in the air for the cage install, any higher and it will hit the garage door. The wiring is coming along, but it's taking a little time to remove all the wiring for the unused stuff, while not removing anything for the functions I'm still using. I plan on using the cruise control controls for the transbrake "creep feature", while the transbrake will still be on the shifter handle. I also plan on using the XFI dash and removing the old digital dash, and all gauges hoping to clean up the interior to a more "stock" look other than the cage of corse. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,706
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,720
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,691
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,680
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,699
What heads were you planning to run?

Judging by your intercooler I'd say the hp goals aren't high enough to need a raised runner head.

Heads

I was considering the Dart 220 full cnc raised runner with the spread port exhaust.
SBC 220 Race Series Full Port Assembled
Intake Port 248cc
Chamber Volume 62cc

Dart: SBC 220 Race Series Heads

Thats the biggest air to air i could find that dosent hang below the bumper. Almost 5" thick. Dick Kerney has gone 8's with it I think it will do in my application as I'm only running the 1/8 mile. :biggrin:

I was considering the Dart 220 full cnc raised runner with the spread port exhaust.
SBC 220 Race Series Full Port Assembled
Intake Port 248cc
Chamber Volume 62cc

Dart: SBC 220 Race Series Heads

Thats the biggest air to air i could find that dosent hang below the bumper. Almost 5" thick. Dick Kerney has gone 8's with it I think it will do in my application as I'm only running the 1/8 mile. :biggrin:

Those should match nicely. With 324cfm on the intake they're 1500hp capable at 30# of boost. I just noticed the head list you posted. If you were trying to make as much power as possible on a 23 degree head I'd look into the All-pro RR245 or the BMF RR230. The AFR raised runner 227 is nice as well. If I remember right your in a turbo restricted class so you won't need the more $$ head. The Dart 220 is a nice choice.

I was thinking the same thing. Anybody know what kind of MAT temps Dick saw on that pass?

They weren't that high. Can't remember the exact #'s since it's been a while since I looked at the logs.

A raised runner 23* head could make 1700 with a lot of boost....that's a long way from the 900ish that Dick's making. What kind of mat's would a cooler like that put out on a low 8 second car?

I would be speculating on how high the MAT temps would be with that much HP. The turbo outlet temps will be the similar providing the boost is about the same, just the amount of air to deal with in a shorter time will be significantly more so I doubt it will be very effective at 1700, probably the same results we saw with Jacks front mount I/C, the graph will look like a mountain instead of a relatively flat line like it should be.

The biggest concern of mine will be the pressure drop.

He'll probably let us know what the turbo limit is but I think when he started this his class is turbo limited so I doubt he'll make much or any more power than a TSO class car. What kind of inlet temps does yours run? I would think his will be in the same range as yours, given the power is the same.

The list of heads have some high hp capability but with a turbo limit he won't need a head the flows over 320. The n2o guys are probably using the high $$ RR heads.