GN - Fan stays on when car is off

viper8ol

Can someone tell me how to fix my problem. When my 86 GN is turned off the electric fans stays on for about 10 mins. The car did not always do this. It just started. Someone says that this happens if the AC is on. It happens to my can with or without the AC on. Thank You

the fan has a delay relay that kicks it on to cool it down while the engine is off ..... your relay maybe going bad if your fan never came on before while the car was off.... sometimes they stick stuck on or stuck off .....my delay doesnt work and i left it like that cause it did stick on and killed the battery .....

its the large relay on the driver's side fender, under the hood. Just unplug it, it is there to keep the fan running if you shut the engine down REALLY hot.

It is very failure prone and will turn the fan on and run your battery down....

Mine's been unplugged for 15 years.

Bob

the fan has a delay relay that kicks it on to cool it down while the engine is off ..... your relay maybe going bad if your fan never came on before while the car was off.... sometimes they stick stuck on or stuck off .....my delay doesnt work and i left it like that cause it did stick on and killed the battery .....

+1 just had this happen to me. unplugged it and wallah done. :biggrin:

There is 3 relays on the driver's fender. Is the relay the BIG one with two connectors? Do I just unplug both connectors? Thanks, john

Mine usually runs for approx 30 seconds after shutdown. I assume thats typically normal?

Take a good look at this from Bob's post:

it is there to keep the fan running if you shut the engine down REALLY hot.

On my car, about 3 years after I had bought it, this started happening to me as well. It turned out my radiator was so clogged and cruddy that it really wasn't cooling the car down like it should. I had the radiator recored (This is back in 2000) and it has never kicked the fan on again.

Just my 2 cents.

I unpluged the two connectors going to the big relay. Now the fan does not stay on when key is turned off.
BUT the fan is now on all the time when the key is on. This happen even when the engine is ICE cold and not running.
The car when running has temp from 190-200 tops.

I unpluged the two connectors going to the big relay. Now the fan does not stay on when key is turned off.
BUT the fan is now on all the time when the key is on. This happen even when the engine is ICE cold and not running.
The car when running has temp from 190-200 tops.
I know this is an old thread but did you figure it out? Mine does the same, no relay runs whoever key is on.

your temp sensor on top of intake is bad if it runs when cold and key on , just un plug or change it , it has a round type of plug

Just unplug it. It’s not going to activate your fans until 220 degrees anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unless your chip is burned different , erics TT chips fan com on at 165, mine is unplugged and my delay relay is bad ;)

The delay relay, when working properly, turns the fan on when the engine is really hot and shut down. That being said they fail and come on while you’re asleep and drain the battery. Then you wonder why you have a dead battery.

Take out the relay and throw it as far as you can into the woods or smash it with a hammer so you’re not tempted to put it back in.

One thing I don't like about my TT chip, the fan stays on for about ten to fifteen minutes after a run. Well, after a few short runs, the battery can run down so I have to make a long drive every now and then.

One thing I don't like about my TT chip, the fan stays on for about ten to fifteen minutes after a run. Well, after a few short runs, the battery can run down so I have to make a long drive every now and then.

As stated above remove fan delay relay and seal connector. U won’t miss it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The delay relay, when working properly, turns the fan on when the engine is really hot and shut down. That being said they fail and come on while you’re asleep and drain the battery. Then you wonder why you have a dead battery.

Take out the relay and throw it as far as you can into the woods or smash it with a hammer so you’re not tempted to put it back in.
drain your battery, how but burn your house down and you precious car