GN shop or Gn fan in Austin

collect89

I bought an 87 gn for about a month now , I can't seem to make it run right to get on the road, everything is stock I believe, have check engine light on and have 3 codes: 15,24,25 the car stall when put in gear and also hard to restart when warm up ,I have done the basic tune up , I just wanted to be on the road . Can someone point me to the right direction or shop in Austin, I need help... thanks

Here are the codes just in case you didn't have them.

Trouble Code 15 indicates that the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) is reporting abnormally low readings. CTS is used to control fuel mixture, timing, idle speed, TCC and EGR operation, among others. The thermistor used has a high resistance when cold, lowering as the coolant warms. This error then, indicates a very high resistance in the CTS circuit.

The conditions for setting this code are:

the coolant temperature reported is < -29 deg F (-34 deg C), and
the above condition is present for more than 4 seconds

NOTE: A default temperature of 111 deg F is used while the error is present.

Refer to the Code 14 description for typical sensor resistance values.

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Open circuit in CTS-ECM harness
2) Defective Coolant Temperature Sensor (resistance too high)
3) Open sensor ground circuit
4) Defective ECM

Trouble Code 24 indicates that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is reporting an abnormally low reading when other sensors indicate it should be higher.

no Code 33 or 34 (MAF Error) is present, and
the vehicle speed signal indicates < 4 MPH and
engine speed is between 1400 and 4400 RPM, and
during a low load condition (LV8 between 50 and 99), and
transmission not in Park or Neutral, and
all conditions met for more than 20 seconds

If the code was logged when the vehicle was in motion, the following should be checked:

1) Defective or corroded VSS connections
2) Maladjusted TPS sensor. The TPS should read about 0.42 volts at closed throttle
3) Defective speedometer cable
4) Bad or missing speedo drive gear(s) in tail shaft housing of the transmission
5) Defective VSS
6) Defective ECM

Trouble Code 25 indicates that the Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor is reporting abnormally high readings. When the air is hot, the thermistor has a low resistance, which rises as the air temperature cools. High readings thus indicate a possible bad sensor or short in the MAT circuit.

MAT reading is > 275 deg F (135 deg C), and
the engine has been running for more than 16 seconds, and
the vehicle speed is > 40 MPH
Refer to the Code 23 description for typical sensor resistance values.

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Defective MAT sensor
2) MAT signal shorted to ground or to sensor ground
3) Defective ECM

We have several members in Austin. Have you checked out the Austin Buick club? I'm sure some of the members would be glad to help you.

thank you all for helping , since I don't know how to contact anyone listed , I took the bull by the horn and started to take taking things apart and start testing it .. wish me luck

See if you can find discostu on the board. I think he lives in Austin area. If you can't find someone, good luck and keep us informed.

I have pm discostu a few times but no respond , but I thinks I have bad fuel issue , i started to pull out the stock injectors and found what its look like rust in the fuel system so my next step will pulling out the tank . So wish me luck and does anyone have a tank laying around ready to let go just in case i need.. thanks for all the support guys

See if you can find discostu on the board. I think he lives in Austin area. If you can't find someone, good luck and keep us informed.

+1, John (disco stu) is great, he spent some time looking at mine and i learned a boatload!

He comes into town from College Station quite often.

All sounds like simple annoying little things. I could definitely take a look at it, but I live in College Station.

I am in Kyle. I have been planning to bring the GN out to the Cabelas meet in Buda one of these Saturdays.

Not a GN meet, just a bunch of car enthusiasts. I don't know if there is still a meet in Oak Hill, but some Turbo Regals used to meet there once in awhile. I think some Turbo Regals used to meet in Cedar Park as well. Most of us are too busy with families to get anything regular going.

ok took fuel tank out n replace it with cheap ebay new tank found alot craps corrosion in old tank , clean the iac valve replace fuel pump , 36 lbs injectors w/tt chip , run so much better but stock turbo is completely gone bad, will replace it w/t62 , does anyone have a set of headers that want to sell ?

ok took fuel tank out n replace it with cheap ebay new tank found alot craps corrosion in old tank , clean the iac valve replace fuel pump , 36 lbs injectors w/tt chip , run so much better but stock turbo is completely gone bad, will replace it w/t62 , does anyone have a set of headers that want to sell ?

I'm in Lakeway, I have a set of stockers but the driver will need to be welded. Hope your getting a stall converter for that 62.......