GN1 heads

vacuum 6

Anyone have problem with these head and the high high-volume front cover where the oil is not seeping down thru the heads fast enough and leaking from the valve cover.

I'm finishing seating the rings on the new motor and I have a good size oil leak on the pass side of the car. The oil is dropping off the trans lines and down the side of the dust cover. :mad: I figure the oil is not draining fast enough getting higher then the gasket and leaking. Or the pass side gasket is just needs to be replaced.

The way I'm seating the rings is varying the rpm...keeping the car in low 2, bring up the RPMs up to 4K and then let the car slow down the RPMs to 2k then back up again. Keeping the engine at these higher rpm all the time the oil psi is 60+ psi all the time thus this is why I'm thinking the oil is not draining thru the heads fast enough.

Well i went the same thing , seems i cant stop it from leaking, only thing that worked is siliconing the gaskets with permatex grey silicone, its really tough stuff its stronger than the black i have found.

Well i went the same thing , seems i cant stop it from leaking, only thing that worked is siliconing the gaskets with permatex grey silicone, its really tough stuff its stronger than the black i have found.

I'm assuming you are talking about the covers... What cover are you using? I'm using the Champion cast covers. I dont like them much since they really dont have a ridge for the gasket to set in.

High volume front cover isn't the problem. On Champions heads the valve cover gaasket sealing area isn't cast high enough so oil is above the gasket before it drains back down into the engine. You need a really good valve cover gasket. TA Performance actually raised that part of their heads to eliminate that from happening.

High volume front cover isn't the problem. On Champions heads the valve cover gaasket sealing area isn't cast high enough so oil is above the gasket before it drains back down into the engine. You need a really good valve cover gasket. TA Performance actually raised that part of their heads to eliminate that from happening.

Crap that sucks. Why don’t they just open up the drain hole on the heads?!? When I primed the motor the oil was not draining fast enought, I'm sure with the HV front cover the oil sit way above the gasket. What valve cover gasket do you recommend?

This happned to the guy with the GN motor in the Cadilac CTS. He is on the north side of Chicago. I thought he said he did some grinding on the head to fix it. He told me he would go with irons next time. He did not think the aluminums were worth the aggravation.

I've been using the GN1 heads and high volume cover since 02 and haven't had that kind of problem. I have the Kenne Bell tall valve covers and cork gaskets from autozone and install them dry.

What valve cover gasket do you recommend?

This time I'm going back with a Victor Rienz Tuff Cork gasket to see what happens. They have a piece of metal sandwiched between two peices cork.

Part#: VS3973TC

If you guys wanted you could get the RJC valve cover spacer and use The Right Stuff on the bottom against the head, and stock valve covers with cork on top. No leaks, and stealthy. ;) Just an option :redface:

If you guys wanted you could get the RJC valve cover spacer and use The Right Stuff on the bottom against the head, and stock valve covers with cork on top. No leaks, and stealthy. ;) Just an option :redface:

That was what I was actually thinking of doing. I don't know if the stock covers will clear the larger valve springs that the "R" cylinder heads have.:redface:

No problems clearing the heater box?

the TA performance valve covers seal, excellent , look bad ass, and will clear roller rockers, heater box etc..

https://www.gbodyparts.com/images/tavalvecoversblack.jpg

tavalvecoversblack.jpg