GNX dilema to drive or not to drive / sell or not to sell

gnx017

Now that the weather is about to break here in the Northeast, my GNX017 has 5900 miles on, it sits on the lift covered. At this point do we continue to save the miles or sell it?

I am not one to disconnect the speedo to preserve the mileage. I drive most of my other vehicles during the summer except this one.

Do we pass on it on another owner who will be the caretaker of it, or just drive it and enjoy it and dont worry about it?

Regards,

Stratos

You can pass it along to me I would be happy to take care of it for you :)

I say take it to car shows, that way you are driving and enjoying it and so wil everyone who see's it on the road or at the show. Many people have never seen or heard of the GNX. Hell people still think our GN's are Monte carlo's :rolleyes:

Your fortunate enough to have one so you should enjoy it. Cars are for driving. Big money investors are ruining the car hobby for us little guys, they drive the prices so high the average person can't afford a muscle car. Good luck with your decision.

drive it !

having one that you don't drive , is like having a virgin, you have no idea how good it really is !!!!!!
my GNX has 60k miles, and I enjoy it!
I have other GN's but this make me smile the most.:D

Don't make the same mistake I did. Drive it! I owned a GNX a few years back and couldn't bring myself to drive it due to its super low miles and perceived future value. As a result I sold it. I could have driven it 60,000 miles and still have sold it for three times what I sold it for back then. I can't help but chuckle to myself when I think how the fellow that bought the GNX almost didn't because of concerns that the hood had been repainted. Betcha he wouldn't sell it back to me for the same price if the hood was rusting thru and thru! You can't enjoy the car without driving it. Not to offend anyone, but I now look at it this way - if I were wheelchair bound would just looking at the car give me any enjoyment? Just some thoughts to consider.

Dean

You sissies need to drive these things. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. If you want an investment buy stock/bonds/mutual funds. Otherwise enjoy the car for what it is.......a car. It's not garage furniture.

You sissies need to drive these things. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. If you want an investment buy stock/bonds/mutual funds. Otherwise enjoy the car for what it is.......a car. It's not garage furniture.

nothing sissie here or in my garage;

one of the primary reasons for not driving it is, when the DPW repairs roads in upstate NY they use loose stone / gravel and oil. Every spring they lay that mixture down to repair the damage from winter storms. I usually smoke the tires on the vehicles up the driveway because of this.

I did not buy it as an investment in '99, it was in-expensively priced vehicle at that time.

I have taken it to a local shows, to be rewarded with someone taking the palm of their hand and wiping the entire passenger side while it was cover in dust from the parade ground.

So if you guys outside NYC this summer look for it going sideways in a cloud of blue smoke

Sissies???

To call the people who own these cars sissies is ignorant and degrading. I own a gnx with 13,000 miles, Does that make me a sissy. I do drive the car but not very often. I bought the car 8 years ago as a car to enjoy. The market has determined that it is an investment, due to the rapid increase in value, does that make me a sissy? People who make stupid statements like this usually dont own these cars!. I have two children ages 7 and 8 and the cost of college isnt getting any cheaper, so I look at my car as a fall back to their 529 plans. I get to keep the car as it goes up in value, does that make me a sissy? Would I love to drive the car every day, sure, is that possible at this time, no. Keep making stupid statements as my car goes up in value, who will be laughing ten years from now!

Scott:eek:

To call the people who own these cars sissies is ignorant and degrading. I own a gnx with 13,000 miles, Does that make me a sissy. I do drive the car but not very often. I bought the car 8 years ago as a car to enjoy. The market has determined that it is an investment, due to the rapid increase in value, does that make me a sissy? People who make stupid statements like this usually dont own these cars!. I have two children ages 7 and 8 and the cost of college isnt getting any cheaper, so I look at my car as a fall back to their 529 plans. I get to keep the car as it goes up in value, does that make me a sissy? Would I love to drive the car every day, sure, is that possible at this time, no. Keep making stupid statements as my car goes up in value, who will be laughing ten years from now!

You're entitled to your opinion and if you view your GNX as a college tuition back-up plan that's your perogative. Water seeks it's own level and if the market for this particular car continues to climb, it very well may be a good investment but it's far from the safest bet and history tells us it has more of a chance of tanking first or leveling off before skyrocketing further in the next 10 years.

Do I think you're a "sissy"? Well, yea. No offense but that's how I feel. Should you take it personally or care what some random non-GNX owner on the internet thinks? No. I buy cars to enjoy and drive. Regardless if it's a $10k car or a $50k car. If I had one I would drive it. If I thought it was too "valuable" to drive and would relegate it to "investment" status. I'd sell and invest in something safer.......like real estate. Definately not a car though.

In closing, it's your car. Do what you want. Personally I would drive the Shit out of it. I think it's a shame.

IMO- Sell it and let someone enjoy driving it.

I agree 100%! If you only want it as an investment, sell it and buy some real estate while the prices are cheap these days. IMO, the best investment you can make is in your own happiness and a great way to be happy is driving something you enjoy. After all, isn't that why you wanted to own it?

I own a 70 Stage 1 GSX 4 speed car and drive it about 1,500 miles a year and love every second I'm in it! Just my 2 cents. Paul

I do drive the car about 300 miles a year, to shows and cruises. When I first bought the car it was to replace a corvette I had at the time. The car has gone up in value every year I have owned it. I have thought about selling it to get a new z06 but to sell an appreciating asset to buy a depreciating asset seems pretty stupid. The car is driven, just not like "I slole it" . To call someone a sissy for not beating on a car is not the right thing to say. Every year the car is put away for the winter, I think, should I get rid of it....and every year the cover comes of and I start it for the first time the thoughts of selling seem crazy. I do love the car, and the tires will be smoked from time to time I just feel that I'm not a "sissy" for beating on the car.

Scott

u only live once so drive it like you stole but not literally lol......:D :D

X2 !!!! remember live it up while your here !!! Never know when your time is up !!! I got sick a few years ago and while waiting in a hall to go into surgery I started thinking about my cars :rolleyes: A minute later I realized cars didn't mean anything to me at that point .. I never thought I could think like that :p

Hi Stratos,

As I said to you at Kirban's 20th show, keep it and enjoy driving it during those sunny days. I'll admit I don't drive mine enough, but that's changing as I finish up other projects.

The value difference between your 5820 mile X and a 15,820 miler (properly cared for, of course) does not justify your passing it along out of fear to put miles on the old Stewart Warner. Plus, it's not the optimal time to sell a car anyway. At least wait until the new 'Fast and the Furious' movie comes out :)

Seriously, unless you're talking about a 0 mile "bubble" car or one you can't enjoy (like 547), I agree with some of the folks above: Life's too damn short to not enjoy your stuff, with care of course.

Good luck and enjoy your cars-- no dilemmas, no fear!

The value difference between your 5820 mile X and a 15,820 miler (properly cared for, of course) does not justify your passing it along out of fear to put miles on the old Stewart Warner. Plus, it's not the optimal time to sell a car anyway. At least wait until the new 'Fast and the Furious' movie comes out :)

Seriously, unless you're talking about a 0 mile "bubble" car or one you can't enjoy (like 547), I agree with some of the folks above: Life's too damn short to not enjoy your stuff, with care of course.

I agree, very well said. I'm in the same boat with mine. It has 22k on the clock and if I put another 20k worth of thoughtful miles on it, it won't make a noticeable difference value wise.

The best way to preserve/care for these cars is to use them exercising a little common sense. The fuel systems on these things do not do well unless they see some regular activity. And then there's the gaskets and seals issue too, gotta keep 'em wet or you'll spring leaks.

Enjoy the car while it's in your care, then hopefully pass it on to an enthusiast who will do the same. Just like other folks who own rare art or antiques do.

Doug,

thanks for the reply, I will definetly put some mileage on it this summer.

Hi Stratos,

As I said to you at Kirban's 20th show, keep it and enjoy driving it during those sunny days. I'll admit I don't drive mine enough, but that's changing as I finish up other projects.

Good luck and enjoy your cars-- no dilemmas, no fear!

Idea

Hey guys I have an idea! All of us with any money saved up (savings, 401K, CD's, etc) should spend it all now. After all money is printed to be spent so don't let it sit around drawing interest that's just DUMB.:rolleyes: Spend it or give it to someone who will enjoy it as it was meant to be. LOL! Just kidding! I think the whole discussion is hilarious. People should do as they choose with whatever they own. Be it cars, money, property, horses (they should be ridden), comic books, baseball cards, motorcycles, stamps (don't collect them, mail a letter), coins (oh, that's money I forgot how I started),etc, etc, etc. IMO I would like to see them driven more (they look really cool moving down the road) but to each their own. Just thought I would add my bla..bla..bla!:biggrin:

I agree 100% !!! And your EXACTLY right,usually the guys complaining of garage queen cars and prices do not have one.

I love my whole garage queen collection and enjoy looking at them as preserved art work. And guess what, I can !!!

My GNX will also pay for both my kids college educations.

And by the way...........anyone using the word "SISSIE" these days is a "PUS-Y"

You're entitled to your opinion and if you view your GNX as a college tuition back-up plan that's your perogative. Water seeks it's own level and if the market for this particular car continues to climb, it very well may be a good investment but it's far from the safest bet and history tells us it has more of a chance of tanking first or leveling off before skyrocketing further in the next 10 years.

Do I think you're a "sissy"? Well, yea. No offense but that's how I feel. Should you take it personally or care what some random non-GNX owner on the internet thinks? No. I buy cars to enjoy and drive. Regardless if it's a $10k car or a $50k car. If I had one I would drive it. If I thought it was too "valuable" to drive and would relegate it to "investment" status. I'd sell and invest in something safer.......like real estate. Definately not a car though.

In closing, it's your car. Do what you want. Personally I would drive the Shit out of it. I think it's a shame.

P.S. anytime you think I might be a SISSIE, come and race my TT Viper against your TURD. I bet you **** your pants in a 1500RWHP car.