GNX dilema to drive or not to drive / sell or not to sell

I don't look down on anyone because of the car they drive.

I look down on you for looking down on a guy that wants to keep a garage queen.

Lets remember, you started this crap.

You look down on someone who's view differs from yours. Read the thread title, I didn't comment on anything that wsn't pertinent to the topic at hand. Ooooooh I said "sissy". Wow harsh words. Give me a break. You have a guilty conscious and KNOW you fall into this specific/exact category and felt attacked and piped up and tried to start a slugfest with the "turd" comments and wether my car could even make it down the 1/4 mile. I come here for the real Buick guys that buy them b/c they love them and enjoy them and drive them. Definately not b/c of guys like you that add very little. Only to say "I have "x" number car it has "x" number of miles. Whoopee.

You look down on someone who's view differs from yours. Read the thread title, I didn't comment on anything that wsn't pertinent to the topic at hand. Ooooooh I said "sissy". Wow harsh words. Give me a break. You have a guilty conscious and KNOW you fall into this specific/exact category and felt attacked and piped up and tried to start a slugfest with the "turd" comments and wether my car could even make it down the 1/4 mile. I come here for the real Buick guys that buy them b/c they love them and enjoy them and drive them. Definately not b/c of guys like you that add very little. Only to say "I have "x" number car it has "x" number of miles. Whoopee.

OK

You win

I LOVE YOU !!!! Your a REAL Buick guy,I'm not.

Have a TURD of a day :biggrin: I'm done with you.

I agree, why put someone down for doing what they want to do with their car... You may not agree but why criticize???

It is negative post that keep alot of people from posting and enjoying the boards...

Is it so hard to be nice:rolleyes:

SGRIM, was my original post honestly that offensive? I really don't think it was. Sure it's a strong opinion but it's an opinion I feel strongly about. Nothing more. The thread topic is about exactly this. Twinvipers seems to be really offended by the word "sissy" for some reason. I post very little here but I read ALOT and learn ALOT about these cars. When there is a topic I have an opinion about I post it. That's all.

I agree, why put someone down for doing what they want to do with their car... You may not agree but why criticize???

It is negative post that keep alot of people from posting and enjoying the boards...

Is it so hard to be nice:rolleyes:

Exactly

Thank you

In the future, let's make sure to emphasize that alternative points of view are not welcome and I'll be sure not to post my thoughts.

I want that sign,!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a t shirt thats says that also,
my fleet is
37 chevy 2dr sedan 350/350
57 chevy 2 dr 210, 383/700r4
86 t type, lo 11's, hi 10's
87 WE4
87GN 13k mi
87 GNX 60k mi

so driving all of em is a chore, but somebody has to do it!!!!:D

I have a t shirt thats says that also,
my fleet is
37 chevy 2dr sedan 350/350
57 chevy 2 dr 210, 383/700r4
86 t type, lo 11's, hi 10's
87 WE4
87GN 13k mi
87 GNX 60k mi

so driving all of em is a chore, but somebody has to do it!!!!:D

I bought it at the Peterson museum in LA. :D

Nice fleet you have going on there. You have almost all your Buick bases covered (T,WE4,GN,GNX). You need a Limited now.

In the future, let's make sure to emphasize that alternative points of view are not welcome and I'll be sure not to post my thoughts.

I didn't say alternative points of views weren't welcome. There are ways to make a point without being "Sinical"

That was the point!

Wasn't directed at you sgrim

I didn't say alternative points of views weren't welcome. There are ways to make a point without being "Sinical"

That was the point!

My comment was directed moreso @ twinvipers.

I see now that people take offense to my point of view and the word "sissy" so I'll be sure to word my thoughts more carefully next time. I still stand behind my opinion though. Performance cars should be driven. Not just "looked at".

X2 !!!! remember live it up while your here !!! Never know when your time is up !!! I got sick a few years ago and while waiting in a hall to go into surgery I started thinking about my cars :rolleyes: A minute later I realized cars didn't mean anything to me at that point .. I never thought I could think like that :p

this sums it up.

Another reason not to drive

I purchased the car in 1990 and used to drive it because I enjoyed doing so. Of course, I was always careful with it as I try to treat all of my cars properly. About 1995, in Reading PA, at 10AM Sunday morning, as I usually did, I parked way on the empty end of a huge lot of a busy shopping center (Vanity Fair) and someone had to walk out of their way to key my door. So I became more careful about taking it out. Another time when I parked at the end of a lot, an old dude parked next to me and of course, when he opened the door, it banged my car....with the hundreds of empty spots around my car at the far end of the lot, you would think he must have done it intentionally. A few years after that, a friend who lives about 2 miles away told me thieves pushed a boulder out of the way to steal his GN (I always parked in a garage) but recently at a show around the corner, one guy told me they now rip garage doors off to get the car. With the increased value of the wheels & other parts, the car is now a prime target. Last summer, I was driving along minding my own business when the brake light came on. Fortunately there was no one in front of me. The accumulator was tested and was OK so I just changed the switch. Now when I drive its one eye on the road and one eye on the brake light. Unfortunately these are real concerns with this car and certainly hamper that free spirit to just go & do what you want to do.

Precisely the point that I tried to raise in the first place, it was a simple question. Unfortunately; auctions and collectors have made the value of these vehicles out or reach. Would I have modified my car in 1999, ( all bolt on stuff), knowing the value would be what it is today. NO, most definetly not. One of the reasons this car stays on lift, is because its the safest place to protect the "paint". There are other cars in the garage more valuable, but keeping in air away from the kids is prudent.

Most people outside the Buick community have not a clue as to what a GNX is or what it means to be the current care taker of on.

THanks to everyone has repsonded, everyone is entitled to their opinions however eloquently stated or rudely pronounced.

Regards,

Congrats on owning such a unique and beautiful piece of GM performance history! :biggrin: With that being said, I would defintealy drive it, but it wouldn't be an everyday thing for me either. Nor would I let that car out of my site! Cruise to car shows, Buick shows, etc. Just park your butt in a lawn chair behind it and keep a close eye on all of the onlookers, thats all!

Drive it

It was a great day here in NY saturday, put about 50 more miles on #485. Today is looking good too, and I am leaving now to put another 50 on her. Does me no good looking at them in a garage, I love to see people's expressions on the road, all the thumbs up and the honks from other drivers. As for any damage, that's what insurance is for....@ 2,000.00 a year.

It was a great day here in NY saturday, put about 50 more miles on #485. Today is looking good too, and I am leaving now to put another 50 on her. Does me no good looking at them in a garage, I love to see people's expressions on the road, all the thumbs up and the honks from other drivers. As for any damage, that's what insurance is for....@ 2,000.00 a year.

You are living the High Life! People who don't drive their cars really don't know what they are missing. My GSX is a valuable car these days also but I have a high agreed value with my insurance company and don't worry about it.

Attachments

• 1226-07-08-30-middlebrooks-tm.jpg
    1226-07-08-30-middlebrooks-tm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 325
Drive them......

It was so nice today that I added almost 100 miles on her today, though there were some scary times today. Almost lost it making a left turn, but it was all my fault as I punched the gas half way thru the turn:biggrin:
Alot of state troopers out lately so I am always watching the speed. I got her over 100 today in a nice straight away strech of road. Gotta drive them because we all go around this crazy world only once...........

I bought a 89 Turbo Trans Am in 1995 for 13,500. It had 36,000 miles on it. I kept it for almost 4 years, modified it, raced it and drove it until it had 62,000 miles on it. Removed all the performance stuff and sold it for $10,000. Not too bad for a "$3500 rental" for 4 years!

Thanks to all the guys that save their cars for people like me! :D

Hey I think you're taking me all wrong, I respect what people want to do with their cars and if you drive yours all the more respect to you. I simply chimed in on a subject that was started by someone else and got bashed on by twinvipers and called a pus-y for it. I've meet some of the guys in here in real life like Gary Wells and others and love chatting cars and buicks etc. This is just a topic that I have an opinion on.

You do? So far the two threads I read on the GNX forums were calling people sissies for not driving their cars and the second was that ignorant thread you started about taxing people who buy cars and do not drive them.

Twinvipers has a passion for low mileage cars, like other people have a passion for drag racing their cars. So what if he decides that is is plain silly to drive a car that he just purchased with 800 original miles.

He may find it silly that someone would take a car and mod the heck out of it, but does not come on here and call those people sissies.

Many people complain about how the collectors have priced people out of the market, but guess what, back in 1971, I couldn't afford a Hemi Cuda, and you want to know what? In 2008 I still cannot afford a 1971 Hemi Cuda.

The bottom line is there are many types of enthusiasts, and Twinvipers enjoys his GNX as much as the guy who drive it 20,000 miles a year.

You do? So far the two threads I read on the GNX forums were calling people sissies for not driving their cars and the second was that ignorant thread you started about taxing people who buy cars and do not drive them.

Twinvipers has a passion for low mileage cars, like other people have a passion for drag racing their cars. So what if he decides that is is plain silly to drive a car that he just purchased with 800 original miles.

He may find it silly that someone would take a car and mod the heck out of it, but does not come on here and call those people sissies.

Many people complain about how the collectors have priced people out of the market, but guess what, back in 1971, I couldn't afford a Hemi Cuda, and you want to know what? In 2008 I still cannot afford a 1971 Hemi Cuda.

The bottom line is there are many types of enthusiasts, and Twinvipers enjoys his GNX as much as the guy who drive it 20,000 miles a year.
Its funny how many people have opinions on how people should drive, buy and restore these cars. At the end of the day you are the one who looks at the car in your garage not anyone else. So whatever you wanna do do, as someone in this thread pointed out tomorrow you could be dead, 'what did you do today'?

BTW Twinvipers how is the TTA you bought in NJ? Any pics?