GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

This is the actual three ring binder I used for taking notes during the prototype build…I used it for documenting the dimension for cutting out the fenders and several other prototype notes. It was also used during the first production builds. I wrote the turbo and intercooler numbers that were installed on the vehicles. And yes that is a real GNX center cap sticker I put on the binder back in 87…and yes I still have the actual notes inside....:D
bet everyone here would love to get their nose into that thing! I wouldn't ever let go of that thing.

This is the actual three ring binder I used for taking notes during the prototype build…I used it for documenting the dimension for cutting out the fenders and several other prototype notes. It was also used during the first production builds. I wrote the turbo and intercooler numbers that were installed on the vehicles. And yes that is a real GNX center cap sticker I put on the binder back in 87…and yes I still have the actual notes inside....:D
in that huge book of yours, you wouldn't happen to have how long each of the GNX transmission cooler lines were would you?

No....but they are 45 inches long....;)

This thread is brilliant!!! This is what EVERY enthusiast club needs!!!! The actual techs talking about those amazing projects of way back when!!! It is amazing to actually hear from X-Ray (THE X-Ray), and see these amazing ASC artifacts... I wish I could afford a GNX or equivalent, but not in the cards yet... but if I ever do, I would make it a point to physically meet you X Ray!

As far a knowledge goes into turbo buick projects of the specail kind... Have you ever heard of a Marlboro edition twin turbo 307 or better regal or anything like it (aside from the turbo riv?). My brother went to Denver Auto Diesel college and claims there was a factory twin turbo v-8 buick at the school as a demo/donation car for the students to drool over... I have never confirmed it, let alone the model of car he saw, but he graduate there with honors, so one can ASSUME, he has a bit of knowledge and could be telling the truth to some degree... was there ever an ASC twin turbo buick or a marlboro edition of that nature that you are aware of?

John:D

was there ever an ASC twin turbo buick or a marlboro edition of that nature that you are aware of?

the only Marlborough edition I know of is the promotion they did with the Syclone truck. Here is a picture of it. Forgot what they did for an engine. Here is one for sale http://www.marlborosyclone.com/.

Attachments

• smoke_break2.jpg
    smoke_break2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 919
They also did a marlboro camaro if I remember right, but have never heard of a Regal that was done. As far as I know the Syclones that were done were mainly an appearance package, they may have had small tweeks done to them, but I think they mainly just used the stock Syclone drivetrain. They only made 10 of them and they started out as regular Sylcones. In fact when they were painted they didnt pull the engines so the firewalls are still black.

They also did a marlboro camaro if I remember right, but have never heard of a Regal that was done. As far as I know the Syclones that were done were mainly an appearance package, they may have had small tweeks done to them, but I think they mainly just used the stock Syclone drivetrain. They only made 10 of them and they started out as regular Sylcones. In fact when they were painted they didnt pull the engines so the firewalls are still black.

From marlborosyclone.com

Marlboro Syclone custom features include:

ASC converted roof to a targa style roof panel with mounts in the pick-up bed
ASC installed a sliding rear window assembly
Guidon hard tonneau cover
Boyd wheels with Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires.
PPG "Hot Licks" Red paint
White strobe stripes provided by Graphik Concepts
Recaro seats
Simpson 5-Point racing harness
Custom Momo "Evolution" steering wheel
Sony sound system
PROMPaq performance chip
Bell Tech Suspension
Borla Exhaust

:eek:

A guy in Reno had three of the ten. He may have more by now.

This thread is brilliant!!! This is what EVERY enthusiast club needs!!!! The actual techs talking about those amazing projects of way back when!!! It is amazing to actually hear from X-Ray (THE X-Ray), and see these amazing ASC artifacts... I wish I could afford a GNX or equivalent, but not in the cards yet... but if I ever do, I would make it a point to physically meet you X Ray!

As far a knowledge goes into turbo buick projects of the specail kind... Have you ever heard of a Marlboro edition twin turbo 307 or better regal or anything like it (aside from the turbo riv?). My brother went to Denver Auto Diesel college and claims there was a factory twin turbo v-8 buick at the school as a demo/donation car for the students to drool over... I have never confirmed it, let alone the model of car he saw, but he graduate there with honors, so one can ASSUME, he has a bit of knowledge and could be telling the truth to some degree... was there ever an ASC twin turbo buick or a marlboro edition of that nature that you are aware of?

Thanks for your kind words....but we did not build a twin turbo Buick show car but we did build the Marlboro Syclones and with the options listed previously in this thread......best regards

Xray I have a question. Do the GNX's have well well mouldings on the flares? Thanks.

No ....but a rubber "P" seal is between the flare and the fenders.....it was used help eliminate any gaps between the flares and the vehicle.

No ....but a rubber "P" seal is between the flare and the fenders.....it was used help eliminate any gaps between the flares and the vehicle.

OK, I saw a molded in fender flair with chrome wheel well moulding on it. I was just checking, thanks

Awsome!

What a phenomenal thread! I read the whole thing in one shot. It is very appreciated X Ray all the time you have taken out of your personal life to enlighten and inthrall us With the magic that is the GNX.

Thank You

The GNX prototype is owned by Brad Conley. He also owns the GSX prototype! Some guys have all the luck. This is a no bull deal. Both of these cars are documented and shown at the 2005 Buick Club of America show in Flint.

A few wierd deals. One of my best friends got an 87 GN that had a McLaren motor in it. The guy he bought it from had connections in the plant. When it came out of the plant it had the GNX dash, and some other stuff in the trunk. Used to be all sorts of that kind of stuff would happen. He also managed to get one of the 82 GN's with the turbo motor. As far as I know his daughter still has both cars. The 87 has a lot of engine mods so do not know what is in it now.

The GNX prototype is owned by Brad Conley. He also owns the GSX prototype! Some guys have all the luck. This is a no bull deal. Both of these cars are documented and shown at the 2005 Buick Club of America show in Flint...
That's no joke. And from what I have read, he paid "somewhere in the vicinity" of the original cost of a GNX. Talk about a deal of a lifetime. And he's gotten two of those deals.

Here is a good read on that car.

Hemmings Motor News: Bad Black Buick

Pictured is the production design for the louver assemblies.( Note: I did not have parts to make up one full set:frown: so I had to show parts from the LH and RH side of the vehicle)
Mentioned previously the prototype system did not allow for variance in the vehicle, this new system breaks it into two separate component assemblies, an inner and outer. The outer assembly now has a retention bracket to pull the louver against the fender to insure proper alignment to the fender . The second illustration shows the inner assembly that now is completely isolated from the outer assembly thus allowing the outer assembly to fit properly.

hi rick do yu have apic of the retainer front and back?

Pictured is the production design for the louver assemblies.( Note: I did not have parts to make up one full set:frown: so I had to show parts from the LH and RH side of the vehicle)
Mentioned previously the prototype system did not allow for variance in the vehicle, this new system breaks it into two separate component assemblies, an inner and outer. The outer assembly now has a retention bracket to pull the louver against the fender to insure proper alignment to the fender . The second illustration shows the inner assembly that now is completely isolated from the outer assembly thus allowing the outer assembly to fit properly.

I've seen another type of bracket that I thought was used to attach the outside louver. Then I have the picture you have for the attachment. And now the picture for the assembly from the GNX service supplement. So is your picture what the final louver assembly package was? What was used for the gasket material that was between the louver and the car paint on the outside?

Attachments

• eBay gnx louver attachment.jpg
    eBay gnx louver attachment.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • outside louver production.jpg
    outside louver production.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,215
  • gnx fender louver attachment.jpg
    gnx fender louver attachment.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,217
I've seen another type of bracket that I thought was used to attach the outside louver. Then I have the picture you have for the attachment. And now the picture for the assembly from the GNX service supplement. So is your picture what the final louver assembly package was? What was used for the gasket material that was between the louver and the car paint on the outside?

Yes your picture was used in the early prototype vehicles and changed for production.

Yes the last picture is the production louver assembly package.

And the gasket was actually two sided foam tape.

Hope that helps ...best regards.