GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

Rick where is wheel to wheel. What kind of shop is it.

Love the plates. I have personalized CG plates on my GN. 91-96 FT, I hear they did away with the FT rate. I might have stayed in if they would have let my change to ET or MK.

Rick where is wheel to wheel. What kind of shop is it.

First, thanks for the interest in the vehicle and my work:) ….but I was hoping this thread would not incorporate questions pertaining to my car… that would be better suited for the X Ray thread ….sorry just trying to keep it organized for future readers. I hope there are no hard feelings.:)
To answer the first question about if my car, “was built on the assembly line” the answer is No….I built the vehicle after the production was over. I had all the parts and wanted to build a GNX, but I wanted to build it so everyone would know it wasn’t a production vehicle… so I built it out of a white T-Type …..and I thought it would look cool. I built the majority at my friend’s collision shop using the same processes I used to build the prototype vehicles. I did take the car back to the ASC Tech Center and install the rear suspension and did the transmission update there. The Tech Center had a hoist which the collision shop did not. (it made it so much easier:biggrin: )
As for where W2W is and what do we do ……We are in Madison Heights Michigan and this is the website address Wheel to Wheel Powertrain for our power train division. We also build show cars for the big three along with doing engineering for them. We also engineer second stage vehicles ….a second stage vehicle is like the GNX, where it is built and the manufacturer sends it to the dealer to sell it to you.
As of this moment our business is changing drastically and our scope of work is changing ….we are getting out of the individual custom work:frown: at this time and I really don’t know what the new shape of the company will be. I just hope that I will be in their plans:confused: . I am currently working as an Engineer for the Second Stage part of the company. I hope that answers your questions.

For the readers that want more information pertaining to the main theme of this thread I will be posting a picture of the Chassis Dyno Test results in the near future. Regards Rick

Love the plates. I have personalized CG plates on my GN. 91-96 FT, I hear they did away with the FT rate. I might have stayed in if they would have let my change to ET or MK.

I am an MK Yep allot has changed just in the time i have been in.

Rick thanks for the reponse sorry to take you off topic by all means keep the stuff coming. This is one of the most interesting threads ive read in a while. Thank you for your patience.

Dyno Sheets

This is a copy of one of the chassis dyno results taken from GNX 028….All the vehicles were tested prior to shipping. Unfortunately:( , I do not have any of the good results. As you can see by this report something was wrong with the set up, and the test was rerun. I wish I had a copy of all the vehicles results…….one interesting fact when the testing was done I know there was a wide range of horsepower :eek: readings. I do not remember the range of readings but you can use your imagination. It was thought that the variation was due to tolerances within the engine and turbo assemblies and that after a few thousand miles the lower HP vehicles would perform better after it was completely broken in.

Attachments

• DSCN0349WTMK.jpg
    DSCN0349WTMK.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,450
Odds and ends.

Pictured is an ASC license plate frame that would look good on someone’s white vehicle. (I have not put it on for some unknown reason). Also pictured are several pins …the smaller GNX pin is made from an original number badge that was a rejected due to a flaw. The watch as you can see is my 10 anniversary watch given to me in 92…..

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,264
  • badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,276
  • watch1.JPG
    watch1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • watch2.JPG
    watch2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,282
X-Ray

How were the wheel flares attached to the fenders. Mine are coming loose and I'm going to have to take them off and reattached them. I plan to used acrylic adhesive and the Kirban GNX Fender Reproduction Welting kit. Any comments?

Incidentally, I’ve got #200, which I’ve read, was originally going to be the extent of the GNX’s. Do you know why the run was extended to 547.

Gnxray

Rick I just now seen this thread and WOW what some great info!..

I want to thank you again on your help with me on my clone of your car. It's work in progress but it's getting there.

Here are some pic's,

Scot W.

Rick I just now seen this thread and WOW what some great info!..

I want to thank you again on your help with me on my clone of your car. It's work in progress but it's getting there.

Here are some pic's,

Scot W.

Wow, that is a real nice X-Ray clone. DO you have the GNX suspension under there as well?

Wow, that is a real nice X-Ray clone. DO you have the GNX suspension under there as well?
Thank you! This was with the help of Rick and his blessing! :biggrin:
Nope!
I feel that with todays technology there are better set up's out there that will out perform it. Not saying isn't good, and it was great in the day.

Scot W.

X-Ray

How were the wheel flares attached to the fenders. Mine are coming loose and I'm going to have to take them off and reattached them. I plan to used acrylic adhesive and the Kirban GNX Fender Reproduction Welting kit. Any comments?

Incidentally, I’ve got #200, which I’ve read, was originally going to be the extent of the GNX’s. Do you know why the run was extended to 547.

They are attached with screws through upper attachment brackets and also through the wheel well lip at the front and the rear (see previous picture in this thread). There were no attachment features on the outer edge of the flare where the “P” seal is at. If you would like to improve the appearance I would unscrew the flare from the vehicle and see if you can cam it into the quarter panel by rocking it inboard with some plastic washers. If this improves the appearance you can either use the washers or bend the metal to create the same affect. I would not add any adhesive at the outer edge as it will most likely fail. It is very difficult to hold in a plastic part that is pulling away from the vehicle, you need to make the part fit the vehicle. As for the quantity of vehicle build I do not know the story on that one….all I know is it kept changing. best regards

Gauge

I got a question please help.....The Gauge panel over the turbo and psi often fog up inside, when the car is started. Any advise:smile:

I got a question please help.....The Gauge panel over the turbo and psi often fog up inside, when the car is started. Any advise:smile:

Good question ….but if I had an good answer :confused: I would do it myself…these gauges have this inherent flaw most likely due to the steel backing used on the SW gauges…the backing on the tack is plastic (see attached pic)it probably never fogs up. Best regards.

Attachments

• dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,898
Why Were There 547 Built?
Okay, here is what I was told from someone from ASC that was intimately involved with the GNX project.

Originally the number of GNX's was set at 500 to align with the Indy 500. All the tooling and assembly was planned for 500 cars.

At the time that GNX's were being sold at dealers, Buick had an award program for exemplary dealers. There was an award banquet where members from each of the dealerships that earned that top performance level were in attendance. A big wig from Buick spoke at the banquet and comended them for a job well done. During his speech he said something to the affect of: "And to congratulate you all on a job well done, Buick will provide each of you with one additional GNX."

There were 47 dealers in attendance.

He said this to the group without first clearing it with anyone from ASC. There was a scramble to ramp up production by adding 47 unplanned cars.