GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

any word on how many t-top gns had the gnx rear suspension mod?:cool:

T-Top Vehicles

No GNX that was manufactured for prototype or productions were built using a base vehicle with the T-Top option. All the vehicles came identically equipped to our facility before being modified. Now there were several prototype T –Type vehicles built for testing :cool: ….I am assuming this was done as a cost saving measure.:D

GNX Jacket

I assume everyone is aware of the GNX jackets available when you purchased your vehicle….but did you know that members of the core team received this embroidery inside their jackets:eek: . One of my bosses at the time gave me mine. :D

GNX Jacket on e- bay $2000-$4000? Embroidered for your involvement PRICELESS!!!!:cool:

Attachments

• Jacket 1.jpg
    Jacket 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 4,800
  • Jacket 2.jpg
    Jacket 2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 4,766
Hi X Ray

I'm really enjoying your " show and tell " thread.

I was wondering if you could tell a bed time story.
During development, was thier experimenting with different combinations on the motor that were radically too big or too small ( ie turbo , stall, gearing, ... ) and almost made it to production or tried anyway knowing it would never make it to production?
Do you remember the first time you had a chance to test drive the final approved version of the gnx ? What was your first impressions ?, At what point did you decide 'I want one' ..in white.
Any " Dukes of Hazzard " drives that the guys at the shop don't know about?

My apologies if I'm off topic .

Thanks for sharing, looking fwd to your next posts.

Steve.

I spun it .

Let me start with the " Dukes of Hazzard " …that reminds me ……we started production of the vehicles and were having an issue with the speedometer bouncing between 45-55 miles an hour. It was my JOB to take the vehicles out and test them :D . These vehicles had a wide range of horsepower when first produced. Some were a bat out of hell new, and some took time to break in. I was driving to the freeway (remember this is my job :biggrin: ) and when I took a left to go to the freeway I spun it out :eek: :eek: (over 360) while accelerating in the corner. Needless to say it scared the *&&^*^& out of me. This was the fastest one I had been in and it had significantly more horsepower than most. There was no damage to the vehicle only to my driving ego:redface: . We did eventually change the location of the speedometer cable in all the production vehicles to correct this issue.

Any clue where the car is now or what happened to it. Crazy that its floating around with no vin number installed.
I started pecking around the Web looking for info on the PPG GNX. Haven't found any yet but look at this PPG turbo Reatta with a GN hood bubble. :cool:

Attachments

• PPG turbo Reatta.jpg
    PPG turbo Reatta.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,572
sweeet- sig material

Kirban did reproduce the rear suspension and sell it to the public, so it is possible that there are quite a few T-top cars with the GNX rear suspension. He just means that your car did not receive it from the factory.

Actually 3-4 years ago, at a car show in Woodridge, there was a GNX clone with T-tops, even had a numbered dash plaque and everything.

my car war one of the original test cars
i know all about it and had mine before he sold to the public

kirban sells yes-reproduces no
i helped install my own

7 years ago.........

ASC News

ASC had news letters that were available to all employees ….this is a copy (sorry for the bad quality) of two that had GNX information. The first is winter – spring of 1987 the second set is summer – fall of 1987. Now this is rarer then those $500 dollar magazines.;)

Attachments

• ws1.JPG
    ws1.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,597
  • ws2.jpg
    ws2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 4,587
  • sf1.jpg
    sf1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,540
  • sf2.jpg
    sf2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4,510
I started pecking around the Web looking for info on the PPG GNX. Haven't found any yet but look at this PPG turbo Reatta with a GN hood bubble. :cool:

is that reatta anything special i have an old poster of that thing and wonder whats it driveline and such!!

Sorry to get off-track here, but 6-b-kwik, that PPG Pace Car is a Buick Skyhawk. A production Skyhawk T-Type would have had the 1.8 Turbo four. The Reatta did not make production until 1988.

X Ray, I find it intriguing that PPG would make a special GNX. PPG's previous cars have been highly customized versions of production cars with custom paint to ply their trade. At the time (mid '80s) PPG went out of their way to promote these wild creations in poster and ad form. Not one pic shows or mentions the PPG GNX. It may have been produced for 1 local race series and sold, who knows?

I'm not doubting its existense, just would like some more info on it.

BTW, keep the artifacts coming! It's cool to hear about this stuff from someone on the inside.:)

Pace Car

More info…the vehicle was used in the Indy Car Series and was used for several years as it was serviced at McLaren engines more then once. The vehicle way equipped with the usual PPG upgrades required for their events including a roll cage, big brakes, fuel cell and external Weaver oil pump. Sorry as I do not have pictures of the vehicle but I’m working on it ….if I get one I will add it to this site. Regards Rick:)

Marlboro Syclone

A change of pace for one segment, I hope you don’t mind!!!:biggrin:
While working at ASC we worked on many neat programs …one that I had a very minor role in was the Marlboro Syclone. We built 10 specialty vehicles for Marlboro that were given away for one of their many contests at the time. What I remember is the vehicles were structurally modified to support the Targa Top that was installed. Inside the vehicles remained a structure of a T-Top car giving the truck additional support, but the top was one piece. The vehicles also had new speakers and stereo installed along with a prom pack for additional chips. The trucks received a beautiful paint job and the great graphics. These pictures were taken outside the ASC tech center in Southgate Michigan. FYI: I am not in the picture :( as I was out of town working on another program.;)

Attachments

• Syclone1wtmk.jpg
    Syclone1wtmk.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,507
  • Cyclone2wtmk.jpg
    Cyclone2wtmk.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,463
  • Cyclone3wtmk.jpg
    Cyclone3wtmk.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,455
Cool stuff X Ray. Big Marlboro fan here, ive been lucky enough to drive 2 of the 10 and have contacts to all 10 current owners.

We currently have 2 in FL, one is currently for sale. Ive actually have copies of those pics as well from original ASC documentation along with built sheets, etc. Very interesting to see the cost of #1 compared to #10.

To add to X Ray's info, all 10 Marlboros started out as regular standard Syclones (the firewalls are still black), randomly picked. All included Recaro seats, Power-Lite rolldown rear window, lowered suspension (Belltech), Borla Exhaust, Boyd Rims, Guidon tonneau cover, Momo Steering wheel, Sony Sound system, and Simpson 5-point harness seatbelts. The vinyl decals were done by Graphik Concepts and layed under the clear coat and specialty Marlboro emblem decals where added on the doors and tailgate and a Shinoda Designs emblem on the gate as well.

91_2884_036.jpg

Heres a recent pic of myself hanging out with #6 Marl:

smoke_break2.jpg

And its not uncommon to have one at our FL meets:

DCP_1690.JPG

Thanks for sharing!

Cost

Do you know what is the current market value of one of these is ?