GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

hey rick ,maybe you could elaborate more on the whys and hows and whats of gnx suspension.

not trying to start a war on here ,
but any insider info besides what the gnx book has to offer would be great
test data/ figures/ stories would be super

Do you know what is the current market value of one of these is ?

The one for sale right now here in FL I believe is going for 55k. The owner is a friend and can get more info for those interested. Ive seen appraisals in upwards of 105k, however I dont think one has sold for over 60k since the mid 90s.

All in what you want to pay I guess is how much its worth. :wink:

XRay-

Just thought I would get some info on a local GNX. I don't know its number, but will definitely let you know when I see it again. This car is 100% legit. I have seen it many times and I could not find one inconsistancy. The weird thing about this car is the fact that it has a sunroof and Recaro interior.

Is this an example of a GNX that was taken to one of the forementioned ASC franchise facilities?

:confused:

Cool stuff X Ray. Big Marlboro fan here, ive been lucky enough to drive 2 of the 10 and have contacts to all 10 current owners.

We currently have 2 in FL, one is currently for sale. Ive actually have copies of those pics as well from original ASC documentation along with built sheets, etc. Very interesting to see the cost of #1 compared to #10.

To add to X Ray's info, all 10 Marlboros started out as regular standard Syclones (the firewalls are still black), randomly picked. All included Recaro seats, Power-Lite rolldown rear window, lowered suspension (Belltech), Borla Exhaust, Boyd Rims, Guidon tonneau cover, Momo Steering wheel, Sony Sound system, and Simpson 5-point harness seatbelts. The vinyl decals were done by Graphik Concepts and layed under the clear coat and specialty Marlboro emblem decals where added on the doors and tailgate and a Shinoda Designs emblem on the gate as well.

91_2884_036.jpg

Heres a recent pic of myself hanging out with #6 Marl:

smoke_break2.jpg

And its not uncommon to have one at our FL meets:

DCP_1690.JPG

Thanks for sharing!
Weren't you the one that claims you farted in one to?:eek: ;)

More info…the vehicle was used in the Indy Car Series and was used for several years as it was serviced at McLaren engines more then once. The vehicle way equipped with the usual PPG upgrades required for their events including a roll cage, big brakes, fuel cell and external Weaver oil pump. Sorry as I do not have pictures of the vehicle but I’m working on it ….if I get one I will add it to this site. Regards Rick:)

They did a PPG Syclone.

Sportmachines Gallery :: PPG Syclone

MYSY 8U;
Thanks for the extra info and pics of those Rare trucks. I am a big fan of SyTY's!

Yes, the stories are true.

I have ripped ass in #6 Marlboro....more than once. Shortly after that pic above was taken, i let her have it again.

Staying true to SyTy style however, I am not the only one to have done so. Chris Pearson (a previous owner) and Micheal Hood have also shared a moment of flatulance in the truck as well.

Hognose, no prob. Check out our forum at www.syty.net and one of the biggest galleries at Sportmachines.com

First the Syclone thing took off bigger then I expected (nice):smile: . Back to the GNX info. There have been questions on additional vehicles built after production at the factory. There were no vehicles built at the factory after production but that does not mean that there were not vehicles built!!!:confused: Let my try to explain.
1) There is so called GNX 548 Yes it was built and the last I heard it is still around; I do not know who owns it presently as it was sold many years ago. It was built like my car initially for someone who worked on the program. It was built from a 1985 Grand National. The owned converted the engine, all the wiring and the odds and ends necessary to bring it up to 1987 specifications. (Not an easy chore). During the building of the GNX’s this car was actually sent down the line for modifications. There was additional badges made that went past 547 so he used 548. Nice touch (never intended to pass it off as one of the 547)
2) Lets call this one extra proto. There was a Grand National used that was not intended to be a GNX but is. An additional vehicle was needed to help in the development of the rear suspension fixtures among other odds and ends for the production builds. This vehicle was used for several months for this application. The vehicle was fully converted with all the GNX components and is listed in the GNX book (I do not know the VIN) as a prototype. The vehicle has low miles and is still owned by the original owner.
3) X Ray. I built this car after the fact. The work was done by myself at my friend’s collision shop. I used templates and measurements I used for the building of the prototype vehicles (these templates and information were used for making the production fixtures). The suspension was added at the ASC tech center using the production fixtures and during this time the transmission upgrades were added. A friend of mine (the once owner of 548) helped with the suspension and the Trans upgrades. And yes it has badge 002.

These are the only complete vehicles built using personnel and fixtures that actually worked on the program and helped produce the GNX ‘s. These vehicles were not part of the 547.:D

P.S.- Still working on the Pace Car pictures.:)

XRay-

Just thought I would get some info on a local GNX. I don't know its number, but will definitely let you know when I see it again. This car is 100% legit. I have seen it many times and I could not find one inconsistancy. The weird thing about this car is the fact that it has a sunroof and Recaro interior.

Is this an example of a GNX that was taken to one of the forementioned ASC franchise facilities?

Any comments on this?

XRay-

I saw a GNX in Oklahoma City in 1992 that had Texas tags. It had aftermarket (might have been Recaro) gray leather seats. I don't remember it having a sunroof but it could have had one. It was the first X I had seen on the street so I didn't even look at the number. I told him I had a '84 GN and talked briefly to they guy. He said it was the only one with those seats. At the time it was fairly rough. One of the rear flares was missing some screws and was not tight to the body.

Might be the same car?

It is possible, anything can happen once a vehicle is sold…back in the day Recaro seats were very popular and one of many vendors could get him these seats. It is possible that the sunroof and seats were added at one of these outlets, anything can happen but you would have to talk to the owner on this one…. Regards :)

I saw a GNX in Oklahoma City in 1992 that had Texas tags. It had aftermarket (might have been Recaro) gray leather seats. I don't remember it having a sunroof but it could have had one. It was the first X I had seen on the street so I didn't even look at the number. I told him I had a '84 GN and talked briefly to they guy. He said it was the only one with those seats. At the time it was fairly rough. One of the rear flares was missing some screws and was not tight to the body.

Might be the same car?

XRated-

You are correct. That was the very same car. It had the stigma of being a "turd" of a GNX. I don't think that it actually had high mileage, it was just not cared for properly or lived its life outside.:(

The last time I saw it (about a year ago), I am guessing it was under new ownership. The car appeared to be repainted and looked great finally cleaned up. Maybe the same guy owned it and finally figured out that he was refusing to wash a legend.

:D

It is possible, anything can happen once a vehicle is sold…back in the day Recaro seats were very popular and one of many vendors could get him these seats. It is possible that the sunroof and seats were added at one of these outlets, anything can happen but you would have to talk to the owner on this one…. Regards :)

With that said:

What do you think a GNX with an aftermarket sunroof is worth? Does the sunroof hurt the value? You never really see a GNX with a sunroof for sale.

Also, how about the one with the sunroof and the Recaro interior?

:rolleyes: It is my opinion that any GNX with an ASC sunroof other than vehicle #33 will bring down the vehicles value:( . It was not intended to be on the vehicles. Why do I think # 33 is ok….because it was the owner of the company car. (worth big bucks):D What the sunroof is worth itself, an ASC sunroof maybe 300-500 that is just a guess. The vehicle with the Recaro…the seat can be replaced easily, I think it takes away from the vehicle again this is strictly my opinion. If you like it go for it. After all I made a White one. Regards :wink:

A change of pace for one segment, I hope you don’t mind!!!:biggrin:
While working at ASC we worked on many neat programs …one that I had a very minor role in was the Marlboro Syclone. We built 10 specialty vehicles for Marlboro that were given away for one of their many contests at the time. What I remember is the vehicles were structurally modified to support the Targa Top that was installed. Inside the vehicles remained a structure of a T-Top car giving the truck additional support, but the top was one piece. The vehicles also had new speakers and stereo installed along with a prom pack for additional chips. The trucks received a beautiful paint job and the great graphics. These pictures were taken outside the ASC tech center in Southgate Michigan. FYI: I am not in the picture :( as I was out of town working on another program.;)

We sold our White 91 Typhoon to a guy in Tampa FL. that currently owns one of these Malboro trucks....He actually rebought his Typhoon from us after we got it 7 years ago. Cool guy named Tom, wont mention his last name.