GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

As I mentioned in the previous article most of the components were made from master parts, not designed or engineered on the computer (or back in the old days on the drafting board). We would make master parts, have them shipped to our supplier and then have them mass produced. This was not the case for all the parts but for most.
What we have pictured here is the master parts for some of the suspension components. As you can see in the pictures all of the original text on the labels has faded:frown: . The yellow paint also indicated that this was the master part that all parts were to be checked against.
If you look closely at some of the welds on the master parts some were TIG welded, but in production all were MIG welded. Regards Rick:D

Attachments

• SUS 1WTMK.JPG
    SUS 1WTMK.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,215
  • SUS 2 WTMK.JPG
    SUS 2 WTMK.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,191
  • SUS 3WTMK.JPG
    SUS 3WTMK.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,197
  • SUS 4WTMK.JPG
    SUS 4WTMK.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2,190
  • SUS 5WTMK.JPG
    SUS 5WTMK.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,186
Rick, thanks for all your information and pics, after 20 years these are still the BADDEST LOOKING CARS on the raod ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks JD:D :D :D :D

Rick,
I have pictures of the PPG GNX, I used to be volunteer PPG official for the CART series in the late '80s. I had the opportunity get several rides by the PPG CART drivers around the Miami Grand Prix and at Elkhart Lake. I know I took some pictures of the vehicle with the lovely drivers in 35mm. Once I find the negatives I will forward them to you.

Regards,

Stratos

Thanks ...you made my day....also thanks for the nice words JD .:D :D

That article was in Hot Rod, it shows a GNX behind a chainlink fence that has its wheels missing. The article states they stole it and only took the wheels and probably did not know what type of car they had. I will try and look for the article, if you email me I will shoot a pic back of it.

I do not know of any vehicle stolen from the ASC plant….the ground were fenced in. I will be posting pictures from the plant at a later date. Thanks and Regards Rick

I read before that one of the GNX prototypes was stolen from the ASC grounds, is this just a rumor or did it actually happen? Also, have any pictures of the assembly of these cars? :D

This threads amazing, thanks for the great info!!

Are you guys talking about Car Craft March 1988; "Sad fate of GNX prototype #1"?

I don't think it was stolen. Just a test car. I will try to post up the article. FYI, it is on volume 4 of my CD's...

Just Wanted To Also Say Thanks To You X-ray For Taking The Time To Give Us All This Interesting Info.. And Its Funny How You Say There Is A So Called 548 Out There.. I Have A Clone That I Call 548 When Ever Anybody Asks.. And Its Also Funny Because It Has T- Tops..

I Was Also Wondering If You Had Any Info On The Size, And Offset Of The Gnx Wheel's. I Have A Set Of Gta Style Wheels As Do Most Guys With Clones But I Found A Company That Will Take Gta Wheels And Make Them Any Width And Offset You Want. With The Flares Installed On My Clone The Wheels Look Funny Sitting That Far Under The Car. I Would Like To Have The Wheels Redone To Fit Properly!! And I Will Most Likely Have To Make My Own Clearances In The Front And Rear Wheelwells.

I Was Also Wondering If You Had Any Info On The Size, And Offset Of The Gnx Wheel's. I Have A Set Of Gta Style Wheels As Do Most Guys With Clones But I Found A Company That Will Take Gta Wheels And Make Them Any Width And Offset You Want. With The Flares Installed On My Clone The Wheels Look Funny Sitting That Far Under The Car. I Would Like To Have The Wheels Redone To Fit Properly!! And I Will Most Likely Have To Make My Own Clearances In The Front And Rear Wheelwells.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205632&referrerid=3922

First let me say that bringing this information to you is a lot of fun for me and also a lot of work…it is becoming difficult for me to bring this information at the current pace as my workload is getting very heavy at Wheel to Wheel (my employer) and at my home as it is getting warmer out and I need time to get my cars ready for the summer. I will continue to put information on the link and I hope you will understand delays in my responding to questions here and on PM’s.I will try my best.:smile:
OK back to today’s info. I have for you today pictures of the sketches that were used in the development of the GNX dash assembly:D . As you can see most of this looks familiar but the parts changed significantly during the development of the production components.
Best Regards

Attachments

• Dash 1.JPG
    Dash 1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,030
  • Dash 2.JPG
    Dash 2.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Dash 3.JPG
    Dash 3.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Dash 4 .JPG
    Dash 4 .JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,026
The front wheel and rear are both 16 X 8 on the GNX the offset on the front is -15 and the offset on the rear is -23. I hope this helps.

I do not remember what he has... but what you see in the pictures are parts that I have.:)

Were are these master parts now, are they the ones that R.C have or are they multiple sets?

he has multiple exact copies made out of aluminium for weight savings and ease of use.these are the $500 deposit line up tools that perfecrtly align the suspension .

Shown here is the picture that is in the GNX book. As you can see in the close-up it is myself much younger and with a lot more hair. The main reason is to show you the shirts that were worn by the blue collar employees.
We found out a couple of days before this that these pictures were going to be taken at the plant. The manufacturing engineer found a local T shirt company to make these for us. As you can see I still have mine. :biggrin:

Attachments

• shirt 1WTMK.jpg
    shirt 1WTMK.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,987
  • shirt 2WTMK.JPG
    shirt 2WTMK.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,989
  • shirt 3WTMK.JPG
    shirt 3WTMK.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,965
  • shirt 4WTMK.JPG
    shirt 4WTMK.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,959
also does anyone know if the buick hawk plate they used in 87 to promote the gnx is anything good? i am talking about the one were the hawk is outwards! plate is silver and black!! same plate that is in the GNX book? thxs greg

in that pic above what number is that gnx?

I really do not remember what number it was:confused: ……it could have been vehicle number one. I vaguely remember it having the number on the windshield and just before the picture was taken, it was pulled off the vehicle. Regards

If you look at the picture closely there appears to be a white piece of paper on the top middle portion of the windshield and looks like it faintly has 006 on it. Thats what it looks like to me at least.