GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

I just went and checked in my GNX hardbound book and it is clearer in looking at it in person, and the piece of white paper on the windshield does say 006 on it.

X Ray Does your car have a GNX mumber plate in it, or is it just the regular Turbo T dash plate?

You are correct it appear the paper was removed after the first few pictures were taken. Well the good news is we do know what vehicle it is. As for my car I do have the number 002 badge on the dash. Regards

Pictured here is one set of the prototype wheel well flares:biggrin: . The prototype parts were made out of high temp epoxy. The design of the wheel flares was first made out of clay on one of the vehicles. The clayed up vehicle was given back to the prototype shop where we balanced the RH and LH models making them the same from side to side. Once this was done our model shop made molds off the vehicle. We then used these molds to create the prototype parts.
The “P” seal that goes around the wheel flares was used due to the varying gaps from vehicle to vehicle around the outer edge of the flares.
Regards Rick

Attachments

• FLARE 1 (3)WTMK.JPG
    FLARE 1 (3)WTMK.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,756
  • FLARE2WTMK.JPG
    FLARE2WTMK.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,735
  • FLARE 3 (1)WTMK.JPG
    FLARE 3 (1)WTMK.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,726
  • FLARE4 (2)WTMK.JPG
    FLARE4 (2)WTMK.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,725
Rick.. Do You Have Any Pictures Or Are There Templates Of What You Used To Cut Out On The Cars When You Installed The Flares.. I Was Looking Under The Wheel Well Of My Friends Gnx And Was Trying To Figure Out How Much And What Had To Be Cut. My Intention Is To Make My Aftermarket Flares Functional.. They Look Silly With The Wrong Offset Wheels. Thanks, Jay.

Rick.. Do You Have Any Pictures Or Are There Templates Of What You Used To Cut Out On The Cars When You Installed The Flares.. I Was Looking Under The Wheel Well Of My Friends Gnx And Was Trying To Figure Out How Much And What Had To Be Cut. My Intention Is To Make My Aftermarket Flares Functional.. They Look Silly With The Wrong Offset Wheels. Thanks, Jay.

Jay,
I can give you the process that was used when I reworked the prototype vehicles; it works better then the templates. My question to you is this, are you going to make a new inner wheel well like the one shown earlier in this thread??? If you do not it is likely that the tire will hit !!!! Second there are three components that were used for clearance to the front tires. First the new wheel well inner (that we just talked about), second was a spacer to push the stock plastic wheel well liner forward (an easy bracket to make). Third a new plastic rear wheel well liner to prevent you from rubbing in that area (not easy to make). You can see this on your friend’s car.
All this was done to prevent any interference in the wheel well area with the new wheel offset and tire size changes, required for all potential driving conditions. You can probably get away from doing some of this and not have any problems driving but I would not recommend it because I have not built a vehicle without all the revisions just mentioned.
If you decide you want the instructions for reworking the fenders I will try and post it this weekend if at all possible.:D Regards

Jay,
I can give you the process that was used when I reworked the prototype vehicles; it works better then the templates. My question to you is this, are you going to make a new inner wheel well like the one shown earlier in this thread??? If you do not it is likely that the tire will hit !!!! Second there are three components that were used for clearance to the front tires. First the new wheel well inner (that we just talked about), second was a spacer to push the stock plastic wheel well liner forward (an easy bracket to make). Third a new plastic rear wheel well liner to prevent you from rubbing in that area (not easy to make). You can see this on your friend’s car.
All this was done to prevent any interference in the wheel well area with the new wheel offset and tire size changes, required for all potential driving conditions. You can probably get away from doing some of this and not have any problems driving but I would not recommend it because I have not built a vehicle without all the revisions just mentioned.
If you decide you want the instructions for reworking the fenders I will try and post it this weekend if at all possible.:D Regards

I WILL BE TRYING TO MAKE THE WHEEL WELL FOR THE FRONT. AND AS MUCH AS I DON'T WANT TO I WILL BE MOST LIKELY CUTTING MY REAR WHEEL WELLS TO FIT THE WHEELS WITH THE INCREASED OFFSET. THE TEMPLATES OR MEASUREMENTS WOULD BE HELPFULL. AS FAR AS THE REAR BESIDES THE REAR QUARTER ITSELF WHERE ELSE DOES IT REQUIRE MAKING ROOM. ON MY FRIENDS GNX, IT APPEARS THAT THE QUARTER WAS CUT, THEN RIVITED TO THE INNER WHEEL HOUSE AND LITTLE L BRACKETS WERE MADE TO HOLD THE FLARE. ANY MORE INFO I'M MISSING WILL BE HELPFULL. AS FAR AS THE WHEELS GO I'M WAITING TO SEE THE RESULTS FROM A COMPANY MAKING THE CORRECT OFFSET WHEELS OUT OF A SET OF GTA'S AND I MAY GO WITH THAT COMPANY. ONLY BECAUSE A REAL SET OF GNX WHEELS IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!! UNLESS YOU HAVE A SECRET STASH!!! :) ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!! THANKS, JAY!:biggrin:

Here is a picture from the GNX book. I found this posted on another site. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• rty4.jpg
    rty4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,999
I will come up with a plan to get you, and everyone that wants the information, how to best rework your vehicle. It will take me a little time to come up with a good format for this information. I have chicken scratch notes that only I can decipher;) that need to be cleaned up. Heck I may even use my car for illustrated pictures. As for the wheels I wish I had a secret stash but no luck.:D

I will come up with a plan to get you, and everyone that wants the information, how to best rework your vehicle. It will take me a little time to come up with a good format for this information. I have chicken scratch notes that only I can decipher;) that need to be cleaned up. Heck I may even use my car for illustrated pictures. As for the wheels I wish I had a secret stash but no luck.:D

THANKS RICK. I APPRECIATE IT. I HAVE AN IN ON ANOTHER SET OF WHEELS THAT ARE CLEAN. AND DON'T HAVE THE DIMPLES LIKE THE OTHER GTA WHEELS. I WILL BE PICKING THOSE UP THIS WEEKEND AND I WILL MOST LIKELY BE SENDING THOSE OUT SOON. THEN OUT COMES THE CUTTING TOOLS TO OPEN UP THE FENDERS. :eek: I FEEL BAD BUT IF ASC CAN DO IT I CAN!! I JUST NEED TO WELD SOME SHEET METAL OVER THE TEE TOPS NEXT!! HERES A PIC OF WHAT I'M WORKING WITH.

Attachments

• SLAMMER.JPG
    SLAMMER.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,984
Your car looks good…..:cool:
This is the first installment for reworking your vehicle… :biggrin:

Attachments

• yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 3,670
Rick- you really need to give a seminar and bring your buick related souvenirs out so the public can see them. If you can make it to Bowling Green some year I'm sure they would be happy to have you give a speech under the tent or in a hotel banquet room. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the nice comments:redface: …I will consider doing that if I get time to go back to Bowling Green…... P.S I think I would be qualified to help judge the GNX Concourse class;) . Regards

Kirban is also hosting a banquet in Sept. at a country club by his house. He said Molly will be attending, among others. Just a thought. :biggrin:

This is the second installment for reworking your vehicle…..:)

Attachments

• Rear Flare Info 2b.jpg
    Rear Flare Info 2b.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,126
Kirban is also hosting a banquet in Sept. at a country club by his house. He said Molly will be attending, among others. Just a thought. :biggrin:

Do you have any more info on this, dates, times, address of where it is? Thanks.