GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

Yes rick the pics im looking for are of thr louver retainer pictured above i need to make a set for me louvers in post 219 center pic i have a set of prototype louvers

Yes your picture was used in the early prototype vehicles and changed for production.

Yes the last picture is the production louver assembly package.

And the gasket was actually two sided foam tape.

Hope that helps ...best regards.

So if they were using the double-sided foam tape, why did they even bother with the rest of the louver attachment package?

So if they were using the double-sided foam tape, why did they even bother with the rest of the louver attachment package?

It was used as a gasket and not intended to hold the louver as a stand alone attachment to the vehicle. Yes it was a little belt and suspenders but we did not have any time for additional vehicle testing ,we needed to make sure it was staying on the vehicle....:biggrin:

GNX Road Testing

Pictured below are several GNX prototypes being road tested. This road testing was done through Arizona and on the west cost. I do not have any other information pertaining to each vehicles and what was installed on them. But I thought you may want to see this bit of history.:biggrin:

Attachments

• GNX Testing 1wtmk.jpg
    GNX Testing 1wtmk.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,235
  • GNX Testing 2wtmk.jpg
    GNX Testing 2wtmk.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,235
  • GNX Testing 3wtmk.jpg
    GNX Testing 3wtmk.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,220
GNX X Ray

Awesome thread on the GNX!!

Still not sure or following how the the fenders and the quarters are redone to gain clearance and to put on the GNX fender flares.

Do I understand correctly the is some type mods and parts also needed to the outer wheelhouses to get the clearance?

Is there a step by step thread or website I can go to to follow a build or install on those flares?

I know there are GNX flares out there that bolt on to the lip for a faux appearance, but are there any kits/flares being produced that attach using the clearance methods like the orginals?

I have a 82 Regal and have always wanted to do a NASCARish road racer , street fighter look, using the GNX flares to run a wider tire and the car lowered.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and info

GNX X Ray

Awesome thread on the GNX!!

Still not sure or following how the the fenders and the quarters are redone to gain clearance and to put on the GNX fender flares.

Do I understand correctly the is some type mods and parts also needed to the outer wheelhouses to get the clearance?

Is there a step by step thread or website I can go to to follow a build or install on those flares?

I know there are GNX flares out there that bolt on to the lip for a faux appearance, but are there any kits/flares being produced that attach using the clearance methods like the orginals?

I have a 82 Regal and have always wanted to do a NASCARish road racer , street fighter look, using the GNX flares to run a wider tire and the car lowered.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and info

I believe it was only in the front according to the service manual. I am attaching the page from the manual which shows the retrofit. Might be able to Mickey Mouse your own from the pics.

Attachments

• GNX front flares.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 339
Buick GN

Thanks for the pics!

Looks like the the rears were also modded? I seen this pic earlier in the thread

26816d1176239335-gnx-prototypes-parts-build-info-exc-rty4.jpg

Yes, the front wheelhouse is cut and a new metal piece is installed to give additional clearances for every day driving.
No not for installing the same way as the GNX. (Most people do not cut their vehicle as shown in this thread…they simply bolt on the flares and use GTA wheels to give them the look.)
No , you would need the parts shown previously in this post , Wheelhouse Patch, Wheelhouse Extension, Mounting Brackets. Rivets and one part not even shown a bracket that moves the original wheelwell liner forward.
Good luck with you project if your have additional questions PM me ….best regards and thanks for the nice words.

Buick GN

Thanks for the pics!

Looks like the the rears were also modded? I seen this pic earlier in the thread

26816d1176239335-gnx-prototypes-parts-build-info-exc-rty4.jpg

This thread is awesome. Thanx for sharing the info/exp.

Question for ya XRAY

I see in the photo the GN being modded to be a GNX has steel drums. I thought all the GN's pulled/chosen where already equipped with alum parts pre ASC. Did you guys install the alum inner bumpers and drums as needed if they were not there at ASC?

Yes, the front wheelhouse is cut and a new metal piece is installed to give additional clearances for every day driving.

No , you would need the parts shown previously in this post , Wheelhouse Patch, Wheelhouse Extension, Mounting Brackets. Rivets and one part not even shown a bracket that moves the original wheelwell liner forward.

X Ray

Do you have pictures of those Additional Items needed, and where they went and what they looked liked?

Maybe even a upwards shot of a GNX wheel house, and where those mods are?

I have a friend who does prostetic limbs, he can make any shap well out of plastic, to fit anything, so he may be able to do the front tire rear clearance area.

(Most people do not cut their vehicle as shown in this thread…they simply bolt on the flares and use GTA wheels to give them the look.)

Don't mind cuttin on mine its gonna have to get the quarters done anyway and I have 3 sets of good fenders.

Thanks again for your useful knowledge..... GNX's they are still the most Sinister Black Bad A$$ car I know.....

I see in the photo the GN being modded to be a GNX has steel drums. I thought all the GN's pulled/chosen where already equipped with alum parts pre ASC. Did you guys install the alum inner bumpers and drums as needed if they were not there at ASC?

Actually ASC install the alum inner bumpers and drums in all the vehicles.
Buick did leave off the badges on the exterior of the vehicle.

Xray,

Badges "We don't need no stinking Badges" What I thought was strange was the GN window stickers in place. I guess they would of had the dealers ship to address. Which probably was needed

I took off some time from work all thoughs years ago to travel back see the cars go through conversion. I had a friend of a friend working at ASC. I used his name and got in the door to see what was going on. I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside. But outside...

Bring back some memories?........ Thank You

Attachments

• DSC01796.jpg
    DSC01796.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 949
  • DSC01795.jpg
    DSC01795.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 950
Nice pictures...thanks for sharing.....note the Mustangs before getting there tops chopped off...:biggrin:

Speaking of those crazy Mustangs

That compression of what was left of the windshield frame and then it's recoil into the desired position was something else. Still sticks with me to this day. LOL
I'm glad I didn't have to push the button for the compression. That kind of thing can give a guy really bad nightmares. LOL

Picture Find

I found some pictures of the production build for GNX 001.:D The first picture was taken outside the ASC assembly plant in Livonia, Michigan. From left to right, unknown person from McLaren, Ray from McLaren supporting the engine and transmission work along with dynamometer work, Craig form ASC head of manufacturing engineering, and Rick from ASC (myself) supporting the vehicle body modifications instrument cluster. The last picture is the finished vehicle. As you can see, some of the work had already been started when these pictures were taken. You can not read the paper on the front of the vehicle but it says 001.

Attachments

• GNX 001.01.jpg
    GNX 001.01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 936
  • GNX 001.02.jpg
    GNX 001.02.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 933
  • GNX 001.03.jpg
    GNX 001.03.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 933
  • GNX001.04 .jpg
    GNX001.04 .jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 959
  • GNX 001.05.jpg
    GNX 001.05.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 923
This question has likely been asked before, but what ever happened to the 547 sets of GN wheels and tires???