GNX transmission cooler

BuickGN

GM discontinued the transmission cooler that was used on the GNX. I think the was also used on other vehicles prior and after this vehicle. Does anyone know who made the cooler for GM?

Trans Cooler

The trans cooler was made by ACDelco, it was a production part for another GM vehicle. ASC made their own brackets. They are discontinued and all are gone from the GM parts supply. If you need, I have a new one available.

The trans cooler was made by ACDelco, it was a production part for another GM vehicle. ASC made their own brackets. They are discontinued and all are gone from the GM parts supply. If you need, I have a new one available.
What's the price?

External Transmission Cooler 87GN

After the parts became discontinued, what has everybody been using when adding on an external transmission cooler for their Turbo Buicks?

Nos gnx cooler with brackets and lines

If jamestown sells out i have nos cooler with all three brackets and lines $495 shipped.

Gnx tranx cooler and brackets

Here are some pic's.

Attachments

• Picture 1689 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1689 (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 923
  • Picture 1690 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1690 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 950
  • Picture 1692 (Small).jpg
    Picture 1692 (Small).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 935
The cooler actually came on the small Cadillac seville 2 door also. I saw one in the junk yard and pulled it and its identical to the real GNX part, only the brackets and lines are different. If I remeber correctly it was like a 1990-93 Cadillac.

Good info... anyone got a good pic of what the cooler looks like behind the grille?

Ask you shall receive.

Attachments

• SANY0045.JPG
    SANY0045.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 748
  • SANY0047.JPG
    SANY0047.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 741
  • SANY0048.JPG
    SANY0048.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 720
  • SANY0049.JPG
    SANY0049.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 727
I got mine off A Cadillac too. Made the brackets from the two factory illustrations of the GNX trans cooler. I used the special parts supplement and the owner's manual supplement as visual guides.

If you get one from a scrapped Cadillac. Get the U shaped trans line up near the Radiator while your there. It is pre bent in a smooth shape for good flow and it has a fitting on it you'll need.

Almost to easy with the grill removed. I think I have $50. total and my time in the whole thing.

I got mine off A Cadillac too. Made the brackets from the two factory illustrations of the GNX trans cooler. I used the special parts supplement and the owner's manual supplement as visual guides.

If you get one from a scrapped Cadillac. Get the U shaped trans line up near the Radiator while your there. It is pre bent in a smooth shape for good flow and it has a fitting on it you'll need.

Almost to easy with the grill removed. I think I have $50. total and my time in the whole thing.

Good advice.. I have a plate-style cooler and wanted to see if I can make it look like a stock installation.... :)

I recently noticed an aux cooler on a late model Tahoe in the same location. Pretty stout looking piece and it is a plate cooler.

have a picture of it?

No, but I have one under the house, with all the lines, from a 97 C1500 pickup

I recently noticed an aux cooler on a late model Tahoe in the same location. Pretty stout looking piece and it is a plate cooler.

Same one.. but trying to get the fittings out is near impossible.

I'll try and pull it out and snap some pics.

I've been thinking about these aux coolers.

The factory Buick trans cooler is a (plate) cooler mounted in the side tank of the radiator. So that would be fluid cooled by coolent or fluid. With the GNX you got an aux cooler that fluid cooled by air.

I'm wondering if the plate cooler isn't as efficient as the the aux cooler the GNX was equipped with in an air cooled application in disapating heat.

I've heard and understand the following.

[Keep the aux cooler at least an inch away from the air conditioner's condenser. This is so you keep a good air flow around the aux cooler so it will exchange the heat and not effect the cooling that the condenser and radiator get off the front end of the car.]

The heated coolent from the engine enters the top of the radiator and is cooled as it travels to the bottom outlet. Where it is then picked up by the pump and used over again.

Transmission fluid exits the top fitting in the trans case and it is sent to the top of the two fittings of the cooler in the side tank or the radiator. The bottom fitting of the cooler has the return line attached to it which goes into the bottom fitting on the trans case.

Now if you place the aux cooler in line. {As in the GNX.}

Where did they intend to put the aux cooler in line?

I don't really remember the way I hooked mine up. I'm sure it's correct. I just want to see if makes sense with what I have stated above.

Off hand I would think you would want the come out the bottom cooler fitting in the radiator. Go into the top of the aux cooler and come out it's bottom fitting. And then go back into the return line of the trans. Which connects to the line which connects to the lower trans case fitting.

If you will notice Buick has the bumper covering the bottom of the radiator and condenser. If you look at the car head on. Therefore all coolers should be cooler on the bottom and should have return lines connecting to them there.

I think this is why they placed the aux cooler where it is on the GNX and other vehicles.

Sorry I don't mean to make anyone crazy. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what the thoughts were on this. I also wanted to give a little tech info and theory to those that want to install an aux cooler on their cars.

[I'm wondering if the plate cooler isn't as efficient as the the aux cooler the GNX was equipped with in an air cooled application in disapating heat?]

Well as usual when I don't know something. I go looking......

First,
The plate aux. coolers are more efficient in heat transfer in water and air.

Second,
The routing of trans cooler lines. Since it seems everyone has differing ideas on how to do this. So I called a crazy Bert Rutan type inventor friend of mine. Ted has 28 pattens (so far) to his name and because of some of them. He hasn't the need to work 9-5. [ie. How do you tap into a fiberoptic without cutting it? That is one of the ones the government men in black wanted.] If you can interest Ted in something, he will investigate it down to the atom. He said he tried all cooler line configurations and compared temps before and after. He concluded the way I stated earlier is the best way to cool the trans. fluid in cars in everyday usage.

Hope this helps.