Going to look at a hot air car

I found a hot air car on craigslist and it peaked my interest. With my limited knowledge (none) of hot air cars, what should I be looking at? Here's a link to the add. Kind of vague and I have a sneaky suspicion the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.:rolleyes:

1985 buick regal t type

I found a hot air car on craigslist and it peaked my interest. With my limited knowledge (none) of hot air cars, what should I be looking at? Here's a link to the add. Kind of vague and I have a sneaky suspicion the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.:rolleyes:

1985 buick regal t type

$1000 seems like a great deal to me. If it isn't eat up with rust I'd say snatch that thing up. I've seen stripped down rollers go for more than that. Check the trunk lid to see if it still has the spid sheet stuck to the underside. Check for code G80. That is the posi rear. I'd say if it runs any at all that it is well worth the money. He sounds like he doesn't know these cars. The "slugish" that he is talking about may have nothing with a rebuild. It may well be someting simple. I'd say go for it.

Frame rott or rust would be the main thing IMO.

After that Pretty much see what you think is worth buying.
Also wouldn't hurt to look for POSI unit rear. Since the post isn't to detailed on "sluggish" he may or may not know how or what it means to get a HA working right, so you could walk away with a car in need of only few hundred to fix.
THen again it may need a whole rebuilding as posted, who knows.

go with your gut I always say.

Hard to tell how much the seller knows about turbo Regals but it sounds like he's not trying to hide anything. It's pretty much a project car. Probably not worth much beyond salvage value. If it's not a 'rust bucket' and the interior isn't destroyed, something between $500 to $800 would be fair. You could end up spending $2K to bring it up to snuff. By 'snuff', I mean a dependable driver only. Assume everything from transmission to engine will need rebuilding. (probably needs new tires too) If you can do a lot of the work yourself, great. Otherwise, repairs will cost more. Good luck.