Going with 17" wheels

mhelli1975

On the Outside Looking In
I have trolled through the wheel and tire section for quite a while and also used the search function with no luck...I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I am looking to swap out my current 15" wheels for a 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear combo. All of the wheels that i have seen have a 4.5" front backspacing and a 5.5" rear backspacing. Will be running a 235/45R17 front and 275/40R17 Nitto 555 tires. Most of the cars running a 9" rear are in the 4.5" to 4.75" backspacing. Will this combo fit without rubbing? Thanks for any responses.

Mine have a 5" backspace with a 295/40/17 but i got the original rear.....mine catch the wheelwell trim a lil bit on big bumps....

Mine have a 5" backspace with a 295/40/17 but i got the original rear.....mine catch the wheelwell trim a lil bit on big bumps....

Thanks for the response. Not really wanting to do this twice. I have removed the rear trim and it has a mild roll on the fenders. and the tire i would be running would be a 275. Would you be able to post a picture or send me one.

I run a 17 x 10 with 4-3/4" backspace. Stock rear with Baer brakes. I think a 5-1/2" backspace would require a spacer, or a frame notch.

I run a 17 x 10 with 4-3/4" backspace. Stock rear with Baer brakes. I think a 5-1/2" backspace would require a spacer, or a frame notch.

I am trying to fill up the wheelwell and not have it looked like it is tucked in too far. Most of the rears i've seen on the forum are in the 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 variety. I ended up finding some American racing 17x8 and 17x9 just need to find out the backspacing, they are from an 1978 El Camino.

I'm running 17 x 8s in front 4.5 bs with 255 x 45 x 17s and 17 x 9.5 also with 4.5 bs with 295 x 45 x 17 drag radials- everything fits nice no rubbing, any larger and you would need spAcers. I'm using billet specialties street lites-about $2100. All together.

I'm running 17 x 8s in front 4.5 bs with 255 x 45 x 17s and 17 x 9.5 also with 4.5 bs with 295 x 45 x 17 drag radials- everything fits nice no rubbing, any larger and you would need spAcers. I'm using billet specialties street lites-about $2100. All together.

Does your car have stock rear springs or has it been lowered? I would love to fit a 295 in the rear.

I have bell tech drop springs in there and have plenty room- I will probably go with coil overs later

I have bell tech drop springs in there and have plenty room- I will probably go with coil overs later
Are those Bell Tech springs the ones with the 1" drop? If it isn't too much trouble do you have a picture. Thanks for your time and information.

Matt

Are your fenders rolled to fit the 295's and how close to the frame are they?
Chris

The fenders aren't rolled and I have 1/2"-3/4" space at the frame. If you measure from the axle face you get about 5.5" total , if you then measure the tire mounted on the rim from the back of the rim flange to the outside section of the tire I get about 5"- thus leaving 1/2" space at the frame unnoticed & unrolled.

Mine arent rolled either and the 295s fit good... I think once i change my 10+ year old shocks and take the 1/8 in spacer out and trim my wheel well trim a lil bit they will stop catchin,i got a good 1/2 inch clearence at the frame too...

How close is the tire to the outside edge of the wheel well being its about a 1/2" from the frame? If you have any pics of the car with the current setup to share that would be great!
Chris

All the pics are in the thread in the link i posted above....i have a 1/8 th inch spacer on the wheel with the rubbing issues(it only catches on one side) and it only happens on big bumps...i also have monroe shocks that are at least 10 years old on the rear they were on the car when i got it...Theres another member running the same setup which is where i got the idea from,and he has no rubbing issues...Im running cargo springs and no air bags..

So you are not lowered in the rear i will be that is why i am trying to get a general idea 49-blues is lowered and was hoping he would post some pics.
Chris