Good place to get MAFs?

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
Looking for a good place to order a MAF went to NAPA, I am not sure theirs' are any good.
Thanks for any suggestions.

In general ALL the rebuilt maf are junk! If I were you I would either find a "known" good used factory maf or change up to a Translator plus with a LS 1 sensor. The rebuilt maf's are a crap shoot and not recommended for racing.

Here, I'll answer your question -
The good rebuid MAFs are always the same shape and size as the OEM. DONOT run one of the hourglass shaped ones. You're just asking for trouble.

Known good rebuilds:
Echlin (Napa)
A1Cardone (special order Advanced Auto parts)

Bad:
Microtech

They are somwhat of a crap shoot but the 2 I've bought from Napa have both been good
Nothing wrong with racing with one...just make sure it tops @ 255.

Well, I have used the Echlins and A1Cardone and the last one lasted about a year. I'm tired of swapping them, so I just ordered a Translator+--and I am a tightwad, but if it works better and lasts longer then it's worth it as far as I am concerned.

The one I picked up from napa was an AC Delco reman unit, the thing was junk.

I thought I got one from postons years ago and it worked.
Do they still sell those units?

Life time warranty on the Napa/echlin one. If you get a bad one, take it back until you get a good one. I've personally never gotten a bad one (except the Microtech I bought one time)

The translator does work good, no doubt about that. Currently I, and others, prefer the stock type MAF

Ok I will do the exchange thing at napa, but first my buddy got a troubleshooting flow chart for a code 34 specific to our cars with all wire terminal#s and so forth, hopefully this will be of some use.

i'm getting codes 33/34 in my car and it won't run good. What kind of trouble shooting flow chart...interested in hearing about it?

Turns out my MAF was good. The 5 volt referance wire had a nick in it causing a 0 v situation at the sensor. Repaired , code is gone and running good.(I feel lucky on this one!)

You could always buy a NEW MAF - the ones that the GSCA was selling in 2002...

LINK

(Shameless plug, isn't it?)

Originally posted by T- Type Tim
Turns out my MAF was good. The 5 volt referance wire had a nick in it causing a 0 v situation at the sensor. Repaired , code is gone and running good.(I feel lucky on this one!)

You dodged that bullet :eek:

I see a MAF Translator in your future ;) "My shameless plug"

Which is the 5 volt reference wire? my car is throwing a 34 as well and i think my MAF may still be good.....and what would i look for, cuts or nicks in the wire?