Goods and bads turbo 350

crazygn

10's here i come
My stock 85 tran is giving me a lot of problems , and my little brother has a rebuilt pontiac turbo350 with a shift kit they he will give to me drit cheep.

What are the good things about the tran and some of the bad things ,

1[ no over drive
2[ will this tran be gear the same
3[ will this tran hold up to a 11's - 12's car
4[ does any one know what the rpm's would be in drive at about 60 mph.
5[ will it bolt right up
6[ Is this tran going to kill my 1/4 times.

i think that is it, :D thanks guys

1. Yep, no overdrive and no-lockup, presuming the transmission isn't a 350C. Reduced economy...see #4.
  2. The ratios are not the same. 200-4R- 2.78, 1.57, 1.00, 0.67; TH-350 - 2.52, 1.52, 1.00. That'll eat into your initial acceleration some due to less gear.
  3. TH-350s can be built to last. One pitfall is intermediate sprag race breakage on units that are set up with an aggressive 1-2 shift and a stock outer sprag race. An annealed, OEM sprag race can help as they are too brittle from the factory.
  4. That's easy for you to determine. Put your shifter in D and go 60 mph. :p For increased accuracy (since the TH-350 will be non lock-up), check your current D cruise RPM with the TCC off by lightly riding the brake pedal. You can also take your current OD cruise RPM and divide by 0.67.
  5. Yes, the Pontiac version will bolt right up. If it's built with the short, 6-inch tailshaft, the overall length is also the same. The torque converter you choose will need to have the narrow bolt pattern so that it'll bolt to your flexplate.
  6. That depends a lot on your choice of a torque converter. Also remember, you have less gear ratio in the TH-350 too.
    [/list=1]

It is the short t350, iam go with a ta 54 turbo so i want to run a 3000-3500 stall. I would like to put it in but dont want to lose a lot of 1/4 mile time or over rev the motor with no od.

Would it cost a lot to rebuild me stock 85 tran to hold a 11 sec car.

Thanks a lot for all the info