You can type here any text you want

Got my engine out and torn down

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I was having trouble finding the source of the problem.....oh wait, here it is:
head_gasket-1_sm.jpg

Here's the piece of head gasket I found when I first removed the intake manifold:
piece_o_gasket.jpg

The other head gasket doesn't look too good either:
right_cylinder_bank.jpg

Bearings are toast (the screeching noise kind of gave it away):
main_bearing.jpg

main_bearing-1.jpg

Crankshaft is scored:
bottom_end.jpg

crank_1.jpg

crank_2.jpg

I'm pretty much looking at a total rebuild here, correct? If it were your engine, what would you do? Slap bearings and gaskets in it? I mean by the time the crank is cut, new bearings are installed, heads fixed, etc. I might as well do the whole thing? The next thing to go will be the cam anyway from the graphite in the head gasket?

Jim

And girdle it. The caps are walking pretty bad. I personally prefere a girdle over steel caps. A girdle will help prevent cap walk. Look at the fretting between the main caps and block. Oh, ya...........stop the detonation.;) But, you already knew that.:biggrin:

And girdle it. The caps are walking pretty bad. I personally prefere a girdle over steel caps. A girdle will help prevent cap walk. Look at the fretting between the main caps and block. Oh, ya...........stop the detonation.;) But, you already knew that.:biggrin:

I don't get the lingo. Can you please define 'walking' and 'fretting'? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Stop the detonation, yes. What you're looking at there is 28 PSI on 93 octane. I didn't do it.

Thanks,
Jim

this stuff here are are all the classic signs of "cap walk" or "cap dancing"

Attachments

• main_bearing-1.jpg
    main_bearing-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 468
  • bottom_end.jpg
    bottom_end.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 485
Man, that stinks, tj.

I'm afraid you are looking at a total rebuild. Who knows what elseis floating around in there, plus your crank is scored....new bearings would be nothing but a temporary bandaid. I know, I've tried........

Bite the bullit, and do the rebuild the way YOU want it.

28 psi on a dry alky bottle??? Wow, no wonder it blew to bits. Any luck with compensation?

Man, that stinks, tj.

I'm afraid you are looking at a total rebuild. Who knows what elseis floating around in there, plus your crank is scored....new bearings would be nothing but a temporary bandaid. I know, I've tried........

Bite the bullit, and do the rebuild the way YOU want it.

28 psi on a dry alky bottle??? Wow, no wonder it blew to bits. Any luck with compensation?

That's kind of what I figured but I wanted to get a second opinion. I'm working on the compensation end of it.

blown okie said:
this stuff here are are all the classic signs of "cap walk" or "cap dancing"

Thanks for that. What causes the caps to 'walk'. Is that from detonation, too, or does it just happen at certain power levels.

Thanks,
Jim

............ What causes the caps to 'walk'. Is that from detonation, too, or does it just happen at certain power levels.

Thanks, Jim

That is almost always caused by the steel caps not being installed properly.

We have 109's running 9's with no girdle and steel caps, and have not had that problem.:)

That is almost always caused by the steel caps not being installed properly.

We have 109's running 9's with no girdle and steel caps, and have not had that problem.:)

what in the installation was being done wrong to cause the steel caps to walk.

what in the installation was being done wrong to cause the steel caps to walk.

Yeah what he said.

Thanks for the reply Nick, but can you tell me what is being done wrong with the installation? There's about 10,000 miles on the engine in the pics.

Thanks,
Jim

Back