You can type here any text you want

grand national not starting.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dane89

Hate to have my first post being about my grand national not starting but here I am. A little info on the car I bought it a couple months ago.... replaced maf, any vacuum hoses that were visibly deteriorating and egr valve car is getting plenty of fuel and spark cranks over strong.... I have had a couple issues of when driving for a normal amount of time if I get on it it will stall out and not start for around 15 minutes or so.... this time trying to cold start it it won't fire just sits there and cranks over. Drove it earlier this morning and fired right up no issues whatsoever any ideas on what might be going on?

Let me rephrase that because it might be confusing drove it earlier this morning no issues went out to start it about half hour ago with it not wanting to fire

Last edited:
With a no-start condition you first need to determine if it is lack of fuel or spark?

A spark test is simple, pull a plug wire off the coil can see if there is a spark?

If you do not have a fuel pressure gauge, you can test pressure in the rail by depressing the schrader valve and a cloth to catch fuel see if it has lots of pressure.

After this testing, you can then start to narrow down the cause.

Nick-I already tested fuel pressure via Schrader valve and as far as spark I did exactly what you said to test spark prior. As I stated before both spark and fuel pressure aren't the issue. Kind of the reason I' not really sure what's going on.

Kt- unfortunately I do not have any spare parts

I have a 72 big block Monte, the grand national is a completely different animal and I am feeling a bit undereducated on the car right about now from your normal n/a muscle cars. When I checked the Schrader valve the fuel spit out with a good amount of pressure and for testing the spark I put a screw driver into the boot and held it about a 1/4 from the exhaust manifold and gave a nice blue spark.

Did you pull a spark plug to see if it is fouled?

Also, you may have fuel in the rail, and the injectors not working? Starting fluid in a spray can is a good test for this.

I'm going off assumption with the spark plugs because I just replaced them about 3weeks ago. However I used ngk ur4 later I was informed I should of used ur5s however I'm not sure if there is a vast difference in the two?

Spray some fuel like Nick said. See if it tries to run. Pull the cam sensor cap and see if everything is in tact.

Ok thank you guys so much for your feedback. Btw can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the ur4 and ur5s? I'll try and get to the cam sensor cap and take off the down pipe and play around with it a bit tomorrow after work.
Also is anyone aware of anyone that builds quality boosted motors in the tampa/st Pete florida area?

Do you have one of Baileys chips that has a theft deterrent feature? Mine has gone into that mode once or twice when I didn't know it and it would not start. I know it's a long shot but it happened to me just today.

I'm glad you brought that up. It has a security system in it which looks mid ninetys. The guy who I bought it from cut some of the wires out of it. So I'll have to check that out. As far as what's in it I have no idea.

Well I figured it out the wires to the fuel pump were melting when it got hot...thanks for all the help and input guys

That is bad. It means resistance in the circuit. I would be suspicious the fuel pump is going out or bad connections at best. It would serve you well to drop the tank and check everything all the way to the pump. Not a bad job. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank, you can pump it out the rail if you need to with just a few cheap items available at a hardware store.

sounds like a fuel pump too me... My Turbo T use to do this, turned out to be a bad sending unit. I picked up a 255 walbro kit with a sending unit from Racetronix and off I went. The car starts every time now. You might also want to do a little spring cleaning on that car if you just picked it up, Check all the plugs, Re gap the plugs, Fuel filter replacement.

Just when you try to turn the car over ... listen for the pump.

Look at this bulkhead fitting. Sounds like what the original poster had and obviously, so did I.
Also look at the three conduct connector at the rear bumper. It can have issues too. I put dielectric grease in to keep the moisture out.

Back