H&R Motor Mounts worth it?

Victory

Still A Noob...
I'll be installing new headers soon and during my searches on that topic I read that's a good time to replace your motor mounts. I did more seaching on motor mounts and I found out that a lot of people install H&R Motor mounts (at least the drivers side).

New H&R motor mounts are $119 ea, GM OEM mounts are $43ea and Parts America aftermarket mounts are $10ea.

Obviously a wide range in pricing. So I'm looking for opinions on what combo I should get.

1 HR (driver) + 1 GM (pass) @ $162
1 HR (driver) + 1 Aftermarket (pass) @ $129
2 GM @ $86
2 aftermarket $20
2 HR @ $229 :eek:

:confused:

Like everything in life, it all depends on your budget. You can certainly get by on two new aftermarket mounts. I have H&Rs on both sides, but they were cheaper when I bought them and I am a single person who spends too much. :) There are certainly better ways to spend you car dollars.
I used to have an HR on the DS and an aftermarket on the PS to reduce vibrations. I installed the PS and I could not feel the difference.

I put them on all my cars... I agree with above though, budget and power level should be considered!

1 HR (driver) + 1 Aftermarket (pass) @ $129.......this is exactly what I'm doing right now...

I know Grumpy's daughter Melissa's (sp) car runs in the 9's and he did it this way, as well. :cool:

Although it is probably not necessary, I have them on both sides. Marginally overkill for me, but I never have to worry about them again. High quality parts. Before I purchased mine I read some old posts about vibration, so I was a little concerned. It turned out that the new ones are very street friendly and have very little to no noticable vibration. Even with both replaced.Thats my experience with them anyway.

Drop the Bill

Looks like an extra hundred to do both sides, this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (very little according to my wife:biggrin: ). I would go ahead and do both with the HR mounts, for me the peace of mind knowing I have high quality parts is not worth saving a hundred bucks. I am the type that obsesses about every noise, creek, rattle, or anything else I can dream up when driving my car. Everytime I have gone the cheaper direction it has come back to bite me. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks for the opinions. My question is less about $$ and more about value. For me to do something at $229 the could be done at $20 needs some thought.

Is there a seat of the pants differance anyone can offer an opinion on? Did the H&R's solve a particular problem for anyone?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the $129 solution. Even H&R's own website states, "upgrading the drivers side along with a GM passenger mount in very good condition will work fine." My thinking is a new aftermarket mount=a very good used GM mount.

Just looking for real life experiences from the experts.

I use the DS, PS, and the trans. I've never regretted it. I'll never break another accessory bracket by using a torque strap, my headers and downpipe have a TON of clearance because the engine/tranny sit the way they should, and I have no worries about launching off of a transbreak. If you do decide to use non-poly mounts I would suggest at least using GM. I replaced a set of oil soaked stockers that were so f'd I had to pull the coil pack to get the top bellhousing bolts out when pulling my trans and replaced them with Parts America mounts and the engine flopped around like a fish out of water when I hit the gas. That's when I said screw it and went to all three HR mounts. I've never used GM mounts but they HAVE to be better than the Parts America mounts. Good luck. james

...Parts America mounts and the engine flopped around like a fish out of water when I hit the gas. That's when I said screw it and went to all three HR mounts. I've never used GM mounts but they HAVE to be better than the Parts America mounts. Good luck. james

Sweet, thanks for the input!

H&R poly mounts rock...

My friend has a T-type, the 3" downpipe was hitting the heater box under hard acceleration. His motor was wobbling all over. The H&R mounts we installed hold the motor rock solid, now. No more vibration, no more false knock.

The new mounts are 70-soft, I believe. I have them on my car, too. Both cars idle like stock, you would never know they both have poly mounts. No vibration on the street or harsh ride.

Make sure you switch both mounts. A lot of misinformation on switching only the driver's side. Both my car and my friend's passenger mount had too much play. These motors lift up on the driver's side, but push down on the passenger side. When you hold the new mounts next to the stock ones, you'll laugh.

You get what you pay for....and IMHO these mounts are worth it.

Well worth it. We sell em and use em. They are nice pieces, too bad they aren't seen once installed. No need for a tiedown to the alternator bracket as previously stated.

Looks like an extra hundred to do both sides, this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (very little according to my wife:biggrin: ). I would go ahead and do both with the HR mounts, for me the peace of mind knowing I have high quality parts is not worth saving a hundred bucks. I am the type that obsesses about every noise, creek, rattle, or anything else I can dream up when driving my car. Everytime I have gone the cheaper direction it has come back to bite me. Again, just my opinion.

+2

When I rebuild, both mounts will be HR poly's.
Maybe trani mount too.

It's funny I have 9 passenger sides only sitting here after 2 months. In 3 months almost every one that ordered only the driver side comes back & buys the passenger side.

Thanks for the opinions. My question is less about $$ and more about value. For me to do something at $229 the could be done at $20 needs some thought.

It's almost guaranteed that those $10.00 chinese motor mounts will let go just before you let off the brakes, holding 10PSI of boost, lined up next to a hopped-up Mudstain, in front of a herd of Furd owners. You buy trash, you end up trashed. I try never to invite Murphy to my parties.

I have the H&R's on both sides and they're DEFINITELY WORTH IT ! Another "plus" is that they allow you to get rid of those engine tie-down straps...

Claude :smile:

i have h&rs on both as of this year elimnated alot of things creaking and moving when on it etc.I wish i would have got them when got the car.

Hr Mounts

I replaced both DS & PS + the trans mount....was experiencing some KR due to THDP hitting shock mount on my daily driver ....it fixed the problem for me. I was also concerned about the damage that could occur from a tie down strap on the alternator with tired stock motor mounts.

The newest generation of these poly mounts has a softer durometer mat'l which is well suited for a street car.
I did notice it was a little harsher at first, but after driving for a few hundred kms / miles....it's softened up, seems to have gone away and is smooth as ever...almost like they had to be broken in.

Am very happy with my decision and knowing that I'll not have to replace them again. I'd highly recommend this changeover to all.

Dave

DO BOTH!!!! I haven't read the entire thread, but just in case it didn't get mentioned.

If you do both you also wont have a need for those stupid looking tie down straps!!!!