You can type here any text you want

hai guis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UmadBro

Well I was planning on making an introduction thread and whatnot but my car keeps on breaking down on me so I feel that this is more important.

So here is the run down..
I have a 1987 Buick Regal Limited with 128 miles on it. Every time I try to stomp on the gas or accelerorate it feels like it is about to die. It has died on me three times now. If I weight a half an hour or so and try to start it, it will fire right up. Then I drive it for awhile and it will eventually die on me.

Has anyone had these issues? Or does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.

Have you checked your codes? Sounds like the coil pack or module is going bad. The maf can also cause this problem. You don't state any mod's, so only assumptions can be made.

Okay. Sorry about that previous post I'll go into a bit more detail.
It has been sputtering even when warm and sometimes die, then if I let it sit for awhile it will start and run just fine.

I have had the fuel pump and fuel filters replaced and they didn't fix the problem. Other than that there hasn't been any work on the engine. It's the 3.8 liter v6 and I feel that it's something to do with the fuel but I really don't know. The check engine light isn't on either.

I also noticed when I open the choke and look inside that the injectors are pretty much just dripping gas out very slowly, one is kind of spraying but not very good. Is there anything that will clean these out? Or should I see about getting it rebuilt

What is this maf you speak of?

Let's start from scratch again. It's an 87 RWD V6 Buick Regal limited, right? The only one that had injectors and was RWD was the GN or T type turbo charged cars. Does it have an air cleaner on the top of the engine or a hose running from the top to the filter mounted off the engine?

its got the air filter on the top. Does throttle body sound right? err carburater with fuel injectors?

Other things I notice is that it idles really high in park, and the engine makes a shake and a knock noise sometimes when I shut it off when it's idling high. Also I have almost no pick up with it, although I don't know if it ever had any in the first place. It's also barely goes up any inclines, like maxes out at 45mph.

sounds like a carb'd v6 to me. post a pic of your engine so the guys can help

or how about post the first 8 numbers of your vin #

The distributor is kind of in the front driver side. I will post a photo and the vin here tomorrow

Now we're on the same page. You have a carberator and a distributor. There may be a screen filter where the fuel line enters the carb that's stopped up or the fuel pump may be bad.You will have to check on what the fuel pressure is supposed to be. usually 3-5#s. And don't forget to use carb cleaner on and in the carb. Water in the gas tank can also be a possibility.
The module is another item that will cause those symtoms.
If you have a friend that has a simlar car, you can swap parts, ie, module, cap,(check the inside of the cap for tracking, where the spark is being lost due to dust or a crack in the cap. spray inside the cap w/wd-40 to eliminate any moisture and see if that will improve the performance.) wires.
If you can start the car at nite, lift the hood to see if there is any sparks shooting from your plug wires.
your basicly going thru the basics. Then get back to us.

Ok
1) fuel filter under the carb and fuel pump have been replaced already.
2) put seafoam in the carb and the gas tank.
3) distributor cap looks fine and there aren't any sparks shooting off my engine.

How do I check the fuel pressure?
Also, I looked into the choke of the carb and those injectors are just barely dripping, is that normal?
Anyone have a rough estimate of what it'd cost to have the carb rebuilt?
Ha and earlier today it shot out a shit ton of like water/ carbon build up out of the tail pipe, and it seems like there's a lot of smoke or something.. Thick and white coming from my exhaust..

I removed the last few numbers of your vin for security. Left the ones that will give engine code. It's way to easy to use that to either find you or retitle a car these days. Pull a few of the plugs and see what they look like. Are the black or just a little off white? The puter on a carbed car is very basic so it's most likely a mechanical issue more than a puter related issue.

Back