You can type here any text you want

head studs or bolts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

petesgn

Banned
putting some TA heads on a 109 with some cometics ,need some info on fastners , whats better studs or bolts or whats everybody running these days ?

i have arp studs and thats what alot of people told me to run when I asked the same general ?

+1 on studs, that's what I run on my iron heads. I don't have TA heads, but from what I've been told, the studs spread the load out better. Now the downside, allthough the ARP studs have hex slots to remove them, if you have ac on your ride and expect to change HG's in the car, studs make it very difficult. At least if you go with ARP bolts or studs, you won't have to buy anymore TTY bolts.

Steve

putting some TA heads on a 109 with some cometics ,need some info on fastners , whats better studs or bolts or whats everybody running these days ?

Not really a fan of a bolt kit for the TA heads, but we have [and prefer] stud kits for them.:)

The machine shop that did the work on my 4.1 build highly recommended studs because he felt they torque more accurately which translates to a more even spread of the load. No way for me to prove or disprove it but I went with the allen head style.
MLH

The studs with the allen wrench provisions. The 12 point is less prone to stripping the nut. I am a fanatic about having a calibrated torque wrench to torque anything. The question is was the block bored and honed with torque plates and then what type of fasener did they use? Bolts or studs? There is a slight difference in the deformation of the bore with the diffrent fasteners. When they torque the plates to do the final hone the bore is round once the heads are thightened back down. So there are some things to check on, but if in doubt go with studs. They clamp better and you get a more true compression on the gasket over the bolts, which you loose some of the clamping force due to the torque it takes just to screw in the bolt. Jon Hanson

Studs.

AND seal the threads in the block with something. I used blue loc-tite, but that's sorta permanent. Some folks use paste. Some use RTV.

Good luck with the Cometics... I use them and I like them but they are finicky for sure.

Back