Headliner board cleaning

BlackMetal

Alright I've been following the guide from gnttype.org for my first headliner replacement. Going good so far just came across one question.

I have all the old foam scrubbed off the board. Now do I need to scrub off the layer of old adhesive too?

Getting the foam off was tough enough. I have to scrub the adhesive for a long time with much more force just to get a little section of it to come up.

Do I need to scrub it down to the pure white back board, or will the new adhesive stick to the old stuff?

Someone tell me before I spend all day killing myself for nothing. :eek: My wire brush is about half disintegrated already.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 230
My upholstery guy always just scrubs off the old foam, shoots on a new glue covering, and puts the liner on...
Haven't had them come loose in the last 10 yrs..

My upholstery guy always just scrubs off the old foam, shoots on a new glue covering, and puts the liner on...
Haven't had them come loose in the last 10 yrs..

Thanks for the quick response. I think I would have passed out before getting all the adhesive off. :redface:

Also, if you put tape to bandage up any cracks, will the adhesive stick to the tape, or should I put any tape on the back (roof) side of the board?

I used duct tape when repairing mine and the glue stuck fine. A word of advice, if you clamp down the material at the edges make sure your clamps don't pinch the foam too tight or you will have nice little dimples all the way around it like I did!

Alright thanks for the help! Got a little ahead of myself seeing as my repair kit with new material hasn't even arrived yet. At least the hard part is done.

Just rub all of the old foam off of the board before installing the new!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

1). Lay out your new headliner material onto the board (foam side to the board)

2). Fold the new material in half so you see the foam side up covering the other cloth side.

3). spary the adhesive on the board and on the half with the foam.

4). Wait about 10-15min and use your hand and smoth that side over onto the addhesive. (leave about 1/2"- 1" extra hang off the edges all the way around)

5). Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 on the other side. If you fold it over and see some cloth exposed, use some paper to slide between the two to cover up the cloth so your new cloth don't get any addhesive on it.

Now your done and you can re-install it into your car.

NOTE: ALWAYS LEAVE YOU SOME EXTRA CLOTH AROUND ALL EDGES FOR ANY GAPS OR TRIM THAT DOES'NT FIT..

Scot W.

Black Metal,

Can I ask you where you purchased your replacement headliner material?

I purchased a kit on eBay.

Other options are Jax Cover Company, they have a kit but no way to order it online, have to phone in your order.
Jax Seat Cover

I have also heard that your average fabric store like Jo Ann Fabric will have the proper material, but I just went with the eBay stuff.

I must have screwed mine up when I did it because it lasted less than a year and is sagging again in the corners. Used a Jax kit and followed their instructions. Next time it comes out (this winter) It's getting a gbodyparts abs backed unit. Tired of messing with crappy headliners.

this might not be right way but worked for me after going really hard and fast with wire brush! i took a heat gun and heated the extra stuff until it went in a little ball then just scraped right off!! for a good glue bond spray both material and board ..this worked for me 5yrs agao going strong

this might not be right way but worked for me after going really hard and fast with wire brush! i took a heat gun and heated the extra stuff until it went in a little ball then just scraped right off!! for a good glue bond spray both material and board ..this worked for me 5yrs agao going strong

Yeah I was actually thinking about getting the heat gun out. Seemed like the adhesive started to come off the board after I rubbed it with the wire brush so much that it got warm. I was just worried that the headliner board wouldn't be able to take the heat, don't want to damage it. Maybe I will give it a try. The board is fairly clean now but I still feel I'd get a better bond if I got it completely clean.

Yeah I was actually thinking about getting the heat gun out. Seemed like the adhesive started to come off the board after I rubbed it with the wire brush so much that it got warm. I was just worried that the headliner board wouldn't be able to take the heat, don't want to damage it. Maybe I will give it a try. The board is fairly clean now but I still feel I'd get a better bond if I got it completely clean.

just dont stay on one spot u will be fine..but dont move to fast

When I replaced my headliner, I used an orbital air sander to remove all the glue and make it just the white board. You just have to go easy with it, Like any project prep is always key, so if you clean it right the first time Im sure youll get the life out of that you want, just my 0.02:cool:

When I replaced my headliner, I used an orbital air sander to remove all the glue and make it just the white board. You just have to go easy with it, Like any project prep is always key, so if you clean it right the first time Im sure youll get the life out of that you want, just my 0.02:cool:

Yeah... here's wishing I had any power tools at my house! Actually I might have a sanding pad that I can chuck up in my cordless drill. We'll see!