You can type here any text you want

Headliner

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
5 years ago when I first got my car, I replaced the headliner fabric, not the board just the fabric. the board had numerous cracks, which I just used duct tape to repair, it held up this long, now the material is starting to sag.

I ordered a replacement headliner and board assembly from Shop for Buick Regal Headliners at 1A Auto® $210 shipped.

this has the molded ABS plastic board, In heard they were flexible but, wow..

It came ROLLED up in a box, I thought, oh boy...

I cut the tape and it went boonk.. right back to it's natural shape, just wanted to share that this is a very nice part, I still need to intall it this week, but I laid the original headliner over the top and it looks identical..

Going to apply B-QUIET sound deadener w/ aluminum liner to roof panel before I install.

installing it tonight, will have pics up tomorrow, or by Sunday @ the latest..

heres the progress so far..

Removed old liner, removed factory insulation pieces on roof. found some very minor surface rust on roof skin, used a scuff pad w/ DuPont Kwik Prep, which has acid in it to help stabilize the metal/rust.

Applied 3M flexible foam to all places that roof bows/pillars meet roof skin, applied B-Quiet Ultimate to roof Ultimate (B-Quiet) - 50 sq. ft. - w/Dynamat roller - eBay (item 190286654134 end time Feb-22-09 14:06:36 PST)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 207
more pics.

when you tap on the roof now, it is very solid sounding, not a sheet metal hollow..should help alot w/ the stereo..

AND..yes I did my research about applying this type of deadener on the roof, and the possibility of it falling down, or even melting, ruining the interior, check this page out, convinced me. http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

basically watch out for the cheap asphalt based products, go for the Butyl based, B-QUIET was my choice because of the adhesion, and heat resistance, and the lowest price of the better selections.....

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 181
taking a brake from the install right now, what a pain in the a$$...

I thought for sure this was going to work out fine, being the board is so flexible. It's also heavier than the stocker, alowing it to sag a little bit in front of the dome light where the hump is in the headliner shape, I applied adhesion promoter to the backside of the headliner, and the roof bow, and applied a few strips of 2 sided tape, seems to hold it up pretty good. I don't know, maybe it would have been fine, but I'm pretty sure the stocker doesn't hang like that...

So, then I try to install the windshield trim, and the back glass trim, I was looking forward to this because I spent $20 on all new clips, what a waste of money, the replacement clips arent 100% identical to the original clips, and they do not pop in, probably doesnt help the headliner is a hair longer, total pain in the a$$...I'm getting it to work, it should look good when it's done, all I know is the damn fabric better not start saging in a couple years..

I would love to hear other people's input on installing these headliners, maybe it's just me.

Thanks for the info for sure. I've got the astro roof so I'll be getting one from Brian soon enough.

I installed one in my car last year. Mine also seems to droop down a bit near the dome light area also. Dont feel as bad with mine now that it seems to be normal. I also put sound deadener on my roof as well. I used dynamat xtreme. Check out my pics in the link in my sig

Maybe I missed it in the post but,what causes the surface rust on the underside?Recently seen an astro roof car that it was so bad,blew a hole across the seam near the back window!

I got mine for $129 covered..but I found it was a lot heavier than stock. Wasn't too bad to install. It does sag a little bit more but once the trims pieces are in and provide support I don't you could even tell.

My one complanit is I have a map light,not a dome light and the hole is in the wrong place. The entire board was covered including the prexisting hole,so I measure with my old piece broke out the dremel. So far so good.

Pics are here!

I installed one in my car last year. Mine also seems to droop down a bit near the dome light area also. Dont feel as bad with mine now that it seems to be normal. I also put sound deadener on my roof as well. I used dynamat xtreme. Check out my pics in the link in my sig

least we know it's normal for the sag now..Nice pics, very nice job on the Dynamat

So here are the pics, my car is not a Grand National, so when all the posts start about wrong colors, you know why. I went w/ a lighter grey color, I like it. My sunvisors are not correct, their out of a Chevy Caprice I found in a junkyard, not bad for $5 for the pair.

Dome light bulb is LED.

I think it turned out good, little bit of a struggle, but for a non factory piece, I can't complain..

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 152
Maybe I missed it in the post but,what causes the surface rust on the underside?Recently seen an astro roof car that it was so bad,blew a hole across the seam near the back window!

I would say lack of paint, it's pretty much bare metal under there, you can see factory over spray on the edges of the roof skin/bows from when the car was painted, other wise there aint much protecting it, over time it's gonna rust..

Even the so called seam sealer and welding job is pretty poor on these cars, many welds have only about a 1/4 of the weld penetrating both pieces, seam sealer is applied in some spots not even covering the intended seam...must have been a Friday car......

Back