Hello from Monterey County California

grussem

Semper Fidelis
Hello everyone. I have an 87 GN and have for about 5 years. Unfortunately due to circumstances at work it had to take a back burner to other things but I'm ready to get this thing running and looking like it should. I am going to document the restoration on YouTube. The car is not in too bad condition at all but it does need a paint job, headliner, and minor body work (front bumper fillers are cracked). It has just over 75,000 original miles. Anyhow, I've been lurking for a long time and figured since I'm ready to get this show on the road I might as well start posting. Disclaimer, I've never been mechanically saavy and don't know a whole lot about auto mechanics, fixing cars etc so there's a good chance I'm going to be asking a ton of super-rookie questions. I'll let you know once I get the YouTube channel up and running. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. Take care & have a great day!

Welcome to the board.

You can research a lot of info on here but don't be afraid to ask. We will help.

As Reggie said, LOTS of info on here. The good news is that since these cars are 30 years old, there aren't that many 'new' problems discovered until you put 'new' hardware in hehe.

As a rookie wrench turner myself, I offer this advice when asking for help, ask specific questions and show that you really tried to figure it out. Not to many folks are well received when it appears they want to be 'spoon fed' their information. Don't be afraid to post pics or reference the links of the information you are trying to find out details on. Show folks you want to learn and want to put in the effort and folks will reciprocate. There are lots of stories here of guys going well above and beyond to help each other out. Lots of really good people. For example the first thing folks are gonna point you to when bringing a GN back to life is the Spring Cleaning page.

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

If you start here, and run in to trouble, let people know that when you post asking for help.

Also folks here LOVE pics. Not just of the problem you are trying to solve but of your car as it goes through the different stages of your restoration. Don't be offended if folks don't always want to go to youtube, some of us access the site from our phone and prefer the still shots on the site (and it saves our data plan hehe)

Welcome to the board!!!

Welcome and thanks for your service. Remember one thing, you might get several different solutions for a given problem. Not that any of them are wrong, just different ways of doing things.

Welcome to the site.
Monterey is a very cool place. I live six hours South of there in Huntington Beach.
For three years, I used to drive up there to work on a high profile job for a very cool dude. ;)
Here's a shot of my GN across the street from his house.

Post up some pics of your car.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Im right down the 1 freeway from you in Marina I'm always in Monterey for work. Hope to see your YouTube vids soon. I just recently bought a non running Gn and I've started last week on it, and just pulled the engine out yesterday. I'll be working on it all weekend.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! @SPOOLFOOL2 I'll probably be ordering the front and rear bumper fillers here soon, the front ones are cracked on both sides and the rear one is cracked in the middle and I'll need them before I bring it in for paint. Your GN looks great! @SFI Cutlass I'm always in Marina for our Target runs (I hate going into Salinas, I'm in Spreckels so the one in Marina is easier to get to). Perhaps we can meet up for coffee sometime. I'll take some before photos and post them here soon. Thanks again.

Welcome to the site.
Monterey is a very cool place. I live six hours South of there in Huntington Beach.
For three years, I used to drive up there to work on a high profile job for a very cool dude. ;)
Here's a shot of my GN across the street from his house.

Post up some pics of your car.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Thanks Mike, now I'm blind from the shine on that beautiful car..............:oldman:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! @SPOOLFOOL2 I'll probably be ordering the front and rear bumper fillers here soon, the front ones are cracked on both sides and the rear one is cracked in the middle and I'll need them before I bring it in for paint. Your GN looks great! @SFI Cutlass I'm always in Marina for our Target runs (I hate going into Salinas, I'm in Spreckels so the one in Marina is easier to get to). Perhaps we can meet up for coffee sometime. I'll take some before photos and post them here soon. Thanks again.

For sure let me know hopefully I can get the car up and running before we meet.

The Bates Nut Farm meet is already nipping at your heels........... ;)

The Bates Nut Farm meet is already nipping at your heels........... ;)

There is no pressure at this event, just a bunch of really great TR guys getting together and having more fun than a barrel of monkeys with our beloved little cars.

"Imperfect" is a good thing at this event.

The guys that put this event together are guys you would want to hang out with every weekend if you could, I'm serious.

There is Soooo much out of the ordinary and soooo much near perfection at this event......... the best part is.... ALL of us have a place to hang out, bullshit, bench race and just generally be proud of out TR's together.
No judgment, just a bunch of TR's in the same vacinity.

You can't help but be amazed at the cars that show up. And if you don't show up, you missed out, period.

Make sure you're there, with or without your car. Again, no judgments.........