Help...Daughter stranded in Houston

rb68rr

My son in law and daughter were traveling to Houston from Dallas in their 2002 Grand Am (3.4 ltr.) when it just shut off going 70 mph down the freeway! He says the engine will turn over but it won't start. Any guesses? Would a fuel pump just die like that? Any fuses to look for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, R.B.

I have an 01 Gran AM 2.4L. It's a salvage car and did not come with an owners maunal but I can tell you there are two fuse panels. There is a fuse panel inside on the left side of the dash board (drivers side). You can open the drivers side door to access it. There is also a fuse box under the hood (drivers side). One of the two or both should have spare fuses. It might be a good place to start. Good luck

My GN fuel pump fuse in the panel blew when I punched it, consequently getting passed by an old firebird with a 200 hp sbc in it. Try looking through the fuses one by one.

IF you can't hear the fuel pump with the IGN key on test it could be a relay or ECM to relay fuel pump trigger problem.

In some GM cars now the relay is near the fuel pump fuse in the front engine fuse box.

If you can find it and remove it and see the contacts you can try a bent paper clip or heavy gauge wire to bypass the power directly to the pump and it should run all the time to get you back on the road.

Pull the wire out at any stops obviously or the pump will run until it burns up.

You should be able to hear the pump in the back of the car near the tank when you first turn the key from off to run.

Common for crank sensor problem also,Not a side of the road repair though

KLHAMMETT said:
Common for crank sensor problem also,Not a side of the road repair though

I was going to take a stab at that, too. I have a Cadillac that had the crank sensor(s) fail. It's a pretty common problem with a number of vehicles in the GM fleet. Car will simply stop running at random. Sometimes it will restart, sometimes not. Eventually it will fail completely and the car won't run. However, they will light the SES light and throw a "P" code. Are there any codes?

Jim

It doesnt usually set a code,That ive seen.
And it sometimes will work when it cools off.Sometimes it just never works again
With a scanner you can usually tell its no good by watching for a tach signal.

KLHAMMETT said:
It doesnt usually set a code,That ive seen.
And it sometimes will work when it cools off.Sometimes it just never works again
With a scanner you can usually tell its no good by watching for a tach signal.

It set a code on the Caddy (P0336), but it was misbehaving long before the PCM reported it. I knew what the problem was before it actually threw a code based on the symptoms.

I don't know anything about the Grand Ams though, other than that my brother owns one and he's already posted on this thread.

Jim

Thanks for all the suggestions. They left the car at my other daughter's house because they had to continue on down to the river. Nobody's had a chance to look at it yet. R.B.