Help - Expert/Professional Opinion On A Stage II TT Setup

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Hello Stage II community and how are you? Guys, I need some serious help. Specifically, your professional opinion about a particular setup I have staring me in the face. I need for someone/several/many of you to tell me what you think about this particular Stage II Twin-Turbo setup. I am seriously considering purchasing the car with this setup but again want to know what you guys think about it. This would be a serious/major investment for me and a GN that I would hope to finally be able to keep for a while. If you search my history, you'll see that "Yes, I Have Been Looking For A While."

If any of you read something that is questionable about this setup, please, please, please let me know before I make the final decision. Even if you think the issue is minor, again, please let me know because I'm talking some major money here and don't want to buy something that's probably going to give me problems in the long run. So if something sounds fishy or questionable, again please let me know and good looking out for a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks In Advance Guys For Your Support

Here's The Setup

PARTS LIST:
JE Pistons 4.014 Bore
Speed Pro File Fit Rings
6.5 Inch Rods
BMS 3.590 Crank
JW Flexplate
BHJ Balancer
Comp Cam Roller Cam 258 at .050
Comp Roller Lifters
Stage II Heads w/Jessel Valvetrain
Fel Pro 1026 Headgaskets
Aluminum Fabricated Oil Pan
Duttweiller External Pickup Oil Pump
Oliver Rods
Electric Water Pump
ATR Dual Exhausts
ATR Headers
FAST XFI Engine Management System
Dual John Craig 60-1 Turbos w/.63 Housings
Bradco Engineering-Cohan TH350 (Bullet Internals)
Rear Air Bags
Pro-Trac Adjustable Upper/Lower Control Arms
Moroso Springs w/Adjustable Shocks
Stock Sway-Bar
Fuel Cell
Weldon Fuel Lines – 10a to Motor and 8a Fuel Cell

O.K. what do you guys think about the setup???????????

Thanks

flip

flipmo said:
Hello Stage II community and how are you? Guys, I need some serious help. Specifically, your professional opinion about a particular setup I have staring me in the face. I need for someone/several/many of you to tell me what you think about this particular Stage II Twin-Turbo setup. I am seriously considering purchasing the car with this setup but again want to know what you guys think about it. This would be a serious/major investment for me and a GN that I would hope to finally be able to keep for a while. If you search my history, you'll see that "Yes, I Have Been Looking For A While."

If any of you read something that is questionable about this setup, please, please, please let me know before I make the final decision. Even if you think the issue is minor, again, please let me know because I'm talking some major money here and don't want to buy something that's probably going to give me problems in the long run. So if something sounds fishy or questionable, again please let me know and good looking out for a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks In Advance Guys For Your Support

Here's The Setup

PARTS LIST:
JE Pistons 4.014 Bore
Speed Pro File Fit Rings
6.5 Inch Rods
BMS 3.590 Crank
JW Flexplate
BHJ Balancer
Comp Cam Roller Cam 258 at .050
Comp Roller Lifters
Stage II Heads w/Jessel Valvetrain
Fel Pro 1026 Headgaskets
Aluminum Fabricated Oil Pan
Duttweiller External Pickup Oil Pump
Oliver Rods
Electric Water Pump
ATR Dual Exhausts
ATR Headers
FAST XFI Engine Management System
Dual John Craig 60-1 Turbos w/.63 Housings
Bradco Engineering-Cohan TH350 (Bullet Internals)
Rear Air Bags
Pro-Trac Adjustable Upper/Lower Control Arms
Moroso Springs w/Adjustable Shocks
Stock Sway-Bar
Fuel Cell
Weldon Fuel Lines – 10a to Motor and 8a Fuel Cell

O.K. what do you guys think about the setup???????????

Thanks

flip
I meant "Weldon Fuel Pump w/10a to Motor and 8a to Fuel Cell"

Thanks Again

flip

I'm no expert but I would ask for a sonic test sheet on the block. Any sleeves? The only other thing that sticks out is the TH350. I don't know what a Cohan Th350 is but I'd be surprised if any TH350 would stand up to that kind of power. My $.02..HTH

flipmo said:
I meant "Weldon Fuel Pump w/10a to Motor and 8a to Fuel Cell"

Thanks Again

flip

You did not say what size injectors are on the motor. I would guess 160 pph with twin 60s.

The parts list is all top notch stuff.

How many passes are on the motor?

Who built it?

Which intercooler does the car have on it?

My opinion: Even when the motor is built right and everything is spot on perfect with the car, you will run into problems. Things will break under the best of circumstances.

Yes you are spending a lot of money and it is necessary in order to run the speeds and times you want.

The turbos are good enough to 1000 hp maybe more. Again the motor is only as good as the guy that built it. There is not one part on a Stage motor that is not a custom length or cut to fit.

They are lots of fun, but know what you are getting into. You are asking questions so that is a great start.

STP said:
I'm no expert but I would ask for a sonic test sheet on the block. Any sleeves? The only other thing that sticks out is the TH350. I don't know what a Cohan Th350 is but I'd be surprised if any TH350 would stand up to that kind of power. My $.02..HTH

Great STP and thanks for the input - I really appreciate it. I knew I would get something from you guys that I never thought of asking. Keep it coming.

Wow, STP, you kinda lost me there man. What is a "Sonic Test Sheet"? Never heard of that before. Is this the same thing as a "Blueprint" of the block? No, the block has not been sleeved (Great!). Yes, I agree, the TH350 puzzled me as well. However, if I buy, I wasn't going to dogged the car out anyway and really put it to the test every now and then. The TH350 however, was built with the best parts to my understanding (kinda hard to prove or disprove without breaking it apart).

Yes, I'm kind of going out on a limb with some of the internals of the engine, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes and you have to take chances. The owner has some of the receipts; however, not all. Do you guys consider that a major gamble to buy this type of car with not having all of the build sheets and receipts?

flip

Reggie West said:
You did not say what size injectors are on the motor. I would guess 160 pph with twin 60s.

The parts list is all top notch stuff.

How many passes are on the motor?

Who built it?

Which intercooler does the car have on it?

My opinion: Even when the motor is built right and everything is spot on perfect with the car, you will run into problems. Things will break under the best of circumstances.

Yes you are spending a lot of money and it is necessary in order to run the speeds and times you want.

The turbos are good enough to 1000 hp maybe more. Again the motor is only as good as the guy that built it. There is not one part on a Stage motor that is not a custom length or cut to fit.

They are lots of fun, but know what you are getting into. You are asking questions so that is a great start.
Hey Reggie and how are you? Thanks for the responses and additional questions.

Here are the answers to your questions that I didn't mention earlier.

Additional Parts Not Previously Mentioned
160lb Injectors
No Passes On The Motor At All
Will Need Dyno Tuning (Currently Just Runs and FAST XFI Needs To Be Properly Tuned)
Built by Kip Aspendh - Indiana (Don't Know Nothing About Him - Please Help)
CAV Intercooler - (Built Out Of Chicago)
Zero Miles On Engine and Trans

What do you think?

flip

Kip is on this board and he know his stuff.
I think he spells his name Asplund, but I am tired so who knows!
For the XFI tunning you probably want to talk to Cal or Joe.

What intake?
Air to air or water IC? With dual exhausts, I would guess A/A as it sounds more street car.

Hyd or solid cam? Don't be scairt of having a solid cam, it's not much work and as mentioned before, you WILL be working on the car.

The TH350 doesn't seem like enough tranny. Seems like the rest of the car might not be up to the motor either. Stock rear sway bar means just a few things were changed that you listed (to me anyway). What about brake upgrades? Have the wheel tubs been widened or the frame narrowed?

Roll cage?

Is the car rusty at all? Has it been hit? That's a lot of power for a car that has a lot of stock suspension on it.

Nashty said:
What intake?
Air to air or water IC? With dual exhausts, I would guess A/A as it sounds more street car.

Hyd or solid cam? Don't be scairt of having a solid cam, it's not much work and as mentioned before, you WILL be working on the car.

The TH350 doesn't seem like enough tranny. Seems like the rest of the car might not be up to the motor either. Stock rear sway bar means just a few things were changed that you listed (to me anyway). What about brake upgrades? Have the wheel tubs been widened or the frame narrowed?

Roll cage?

Is the car rusty at all? Has it been hit? That's a lot of power for a car that has a lot of stock suspension on it.

Purchase a Wolfe sway bar ASAP, then take out the air bags.
With the correct chassis set up and driving experience you should be ok in the 8s. Chow has gone 7.9s with a full Wolfe Stock Suspension.

Nashty said:
What intake?

Roll cage?

Hey Nashty and thanks for the feedback. Haven't decided upon buying just yet because I do have a few reservations. You guys are making me think.

O.K. it has a 90mm TB, Precision Plenum, CAS V3 Intercooler (I thought he said CAV - My Badddd), Dual Exhausts, Roller Cam (Not sure if Solid or Hydro - Does it really matter in a Stage 2?), Electric Water Pump, and Lightweight Starter.

Nashty, Guys, what do you think?

Thanks

flip

Spongebob said:
TH350 is probably Coan, found here:

http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?CatClass=03TR

I abused one of their glides for two years in a bracket Nova...Never a problem. Expensive and worth it.

http://www.coanracing.com/
Oh yes, that makes sense now. "Coan" seems to be the correct name for the transmission. The transmission and stock rear-end I'm sure will be the first to give/go under a big load or a lot of pressure. Mainly because the rear-end is stock; however, the trans has good stuff in it.

Oh Nashty, the car does have a cage, not sure of brake uprade, or any narrowing done on the car.

Let me ask you guys this question - How many of you guys would buy this with this particular setup for $25K or less. I would just like to know.

Thanks

IMO if the body is straight, paint is good, and it's built on a 86-7 TR platform it's worth 25k with that list of parts. I would still however ask for sonic test records. Odds are the block wasn't sonic tested to see how thick the cylinder walls are...But it's worth a shot. Kip is a good guy and won't feed you a line of bs.

For that motor and if the rest of the car is good, I'd say under $25K wouldn't hurt you too bad. Depends on how much under $25K.

Too bad it doesn't have a SM intake. :(

Coan makes decent stuff, my powerglide is a Coan unit, so was the convertor. It wasn't right for my car so I got a Chance convertor for it this time.

This sounds like an excellent start. 25,000 is a deal if you ask me. Most don't take into account all the labor involved in putting a Stage II together correctly. The parts list is dreamy. The 350 will get you by. I've built 350s for blown big blocks and nitrous small blocks that went through numerous motors without problems. I would prefer a 400 though, or PG if car weight is 3000 or less.
Other items I would consider:
Better rear sway bar. Keep the right side air bag and air up to 25 psi. This will help keep the car straight during burnouts.
Driveshaft and U-joint upgrade, if not already done. Do this first before anything else!
Driveshaft loop or loops.
Rearend upgrade or at least better axles and C-clip eliminators. Safety (or should I say your life) should always come first.
Since the block is the foudation of the engine. I would do a tear down and find out about the cylinders, as was already mentioned. You'll also have the chance to inspect for proper assembly.
Potential is going to be, at the very least, 1200 HP. If your a good driver, you should be OK. If not, you should tub the car. Things get pretty slippery feeling at that HP level.
Have an experienced person tune it for you. That is a big investment your playing with.

Finally, as Reggie mentioned, the initial investment is only the start when your getting into a car of this caliber. If your not mechanically inclined and need someone else to do the work for you, be prepared to outlay a bunch of money if your going to run the car regularly. Depending on the punishment you put the car through, figure on engine inspection teardowns every 75 to 200 runs. Trans should go through checks also. The intermdiate roller assembly and race should be changed out during an inspection teardown no matter what the parts look like.

the only thing i see as a concern is the rods i have had experiences with 6.500 rods olivers especially i bent a set of oliver light rods that were 6.5 even with a good rod 6.5 is a little long 6.3 is the rod to have but it all depends on how hard you want to push it. i ran 42lbs of boost with 26 degrees of timing thats what bent my rods. so if your not as hard on it it should be fine but that will be your week point as far as the engine the car i don't know allot about that i run a dragster and have a power glide

as far as tunning a dyno will help with the start up map and idle adjust ments but your acctual fuel and timming map will be allot different from the car to the dyno use the dyno to get you in the ball park but dont get discouraged when you bolt it in and the map is off.

Even if you think the issue is minor, again, please let me know because I'm talking some major money here and don't want to buy something that's probably going to give me problems in the long run.

hehe....

Are there any high power stage guys that dont have a collection of spare pieces? High Hp tears stuff up thats one thing Ive picked up from other stage guys giving me advice on my projects. Stage motors are like stock motors, there are certain power and boost levels that can be attained and still have good reliability and then there are levels that will start causing problems.

Does the car have a ford 9" with good axels or a built up stocker? Does all the SFI approved pieces have thier stickers with the dates on them?

Jason