HELP....Fuel pump dosnt run all the time..

jason85ttype

Hey guys just put a new 255 in tank in the car.Trying to get this thing running.Car started then shutoff after 5 seconds.Could not hear the pump running.Tried to start again and nothing happened just cranked.Disconnected battery to charge battery.Hooked back up hit key and pump came on.Then quit.It comes on when it wants.Is there a relay bad?This is an 84 hot air car.Were are the relays located?I know I need a hot wire kit.Just wanted it to start and run fist.I went throught this 4 times till I said the heck with it.Its not the pump cause I can run it with 12 volts..

Fuel pump only runs when you are below the set pressure. Mine comes on when I turn the key but turns off until I start the car. There is a fuel pump relay but it does not sound like yours is bad. Does your fuel rail have a schrader valve? If so, turn the key on but don't start the car. Bleed off some fo the fuel via the schrader valve and see if the pump comes back on to rebuild pressure. If it does then move on to other things. I would disconnect the battery (or unplug computer hot) and reset the computer. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes. If it still does not start figure out if the ignition is firing. What is the TPS set at? Is the IAC working? Good luck.

the relay is on the passenger side of the car by the a/c. also when the car start and the oil pressure comes above 5 psi i think it is it bypasses the relay and keeps the pump on. just a fyi. will the car run if you put 12v to the jumper next to the tack wire and start the car? i would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what she is doing