help me machine and assemble the short block...my 1st time..

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
ive got an 86 gn with the engine in the trunk...already dissasembled.:eek:.....im pretty sure i can assemble the engine except for the machining...the engine spun a bearing after a rebuild...
what do i look out for? can i reuse the pistons(new diamond) and rods after checking what? the car came with another crank also...ill have both checked....what does rolled /filletd mean?
any links to the tolerences/spects of the build (main bearings,etc)..

i plan on having the block checked,line bored,etc. i would like to assemble the rest with all the tricks ive read up here.....
how much will be right to pay for the engine checks/machining/etc ??

It depends entirly where you're located Gary, as far as cost. The main thing is make sure the shop is familular with the Buick V6 in performance apps. What was damaged when what was spun?

It depends entirly where you're located Gary, as far as cost. The main thing is make sure the shop is familular with the Buick V6 in performance apps. What was damaged when what was spun?

east ga....
yeah,ive read about how tight the tolerences are (i plan on giving the machine shop all the specs they need)theres one in my area almost everyone recommends......ill have to convince them to throw out the chevy 350 mantality....also i plan on giving the shops' owner in my T first,to show him the "stress" the lil v6 will be under:eek:.....
i havent looked over the engine too close yet,but i was told it spun a main bearing,scored the crank.....i was also given a "good" crank....

i hope you are talking about K&P Machine in augusta ga. these people are the only machine shop in our area that know about the buicks..good luck with anyone else.........Bob

i hope you are talking about K&P Machine in augusta ga. these people are the only machine shop in our area that know about the buicks..good luck with anyone else.........Bob

+1 they did mine too. :smile:

How much power do you plan on producing? How much track time?
First the machine shop needs to see what the crank and rods will clean up at what size. Same for the cylinders. You can't tell the engine what you want it to be, it tells you. If aiming for more than 500 hp, go with a girdle and rods. If lower than 500 hp at least center caps and ARP studs. As you said, make the clearences snug and balance the assembly. Have them do the cam bearing too, unless you have the tool.
Hope this helps you.

thanks for the replys....the shop is in statesboro...im just doing a stock rebuild....
thanks on the cam bearing recommendation,i didnt know that.arp bolts are planned too...
i plan on making it my DD (if i keep it)....:cool:

Hey Gary, listen to Super6 and go with K&P. he did a jam-up job on the block for JR's car. after the "other" machine shop missed a hole in the first block. never heard talk of a machine shop in Statesboro and i've been doing this stuff for awhile, were they recommending Bill Ford?

god,i hope not...if engine is bad,wont the block out of my 84 turbo riv work?just drill/tap the oil return hole,right?

Nothing special with that Riv block over an NA block that I know of. You could get by with any NA block to a point (like 400-450hp). I wouldn't put alot of $$ into an NA block though. Just a budget build.

ive got an 86 gn with the engine in the trunk...already dissasembled.:eek:........the engine spun a bearing after a rebuild...
what do i look out for? can i reuse the pistons(new diamond) and rods after checking what? the car came with another crank also...ill have both checked....what does rolled /filletd mean?
any links to the tolerences/spects of the build (main bearings,etc)..

Just a word of caution..

If this was one of those gas station mail order rebuilt long blocks, you might be looking for more parts then you thought.

I helped a board member years ago with his Gn that blew a rebuilt motor. Turned out to be a complete NA motor that they drilled the oil return into.
The cast NA piston broke at the pin where the turbo pistons are reinforced with that plate. It let go and windowed the block with his wife driving down the road.

So, cross your fingers that you still have turbo parts to deal with!!...

Gary - Get that engine up to Billy at K&P. Let him go through the engine and give you a quote on the machine work. Billy is the master at re-sizing buick connecting rods - he also does a cam bearing modification to the Buicks that sends more oil to the mains. Their machining equipment is some of the best in the southeast and they will shoot straight with you. You mentioned a bearing spun - is it a rod bearing? There is a trick for re-sizing a Buick connecting rod that most machine shops are unaware of.

Mike

stock rebuild or not

your best bet is to take it to K&P Machine and yes talk to Billy..he knows what to do.....Bob

thanks for the replys everyone....ill be getting in touch with the guys in sc....ill check my block out closely first....