Help me pick next upgrade.

tford

Registered Member
Since Fullthrottlespeed is having a Christmas sale on two items I need, but I can only pick one, which would you choose. Powerlogger or Aluminum radiator?
In 90 degree summer heat I'm running around 195-215 in heavy traffic. I already have a wideband which is not installed yet. Which direction would you go if you had to decide? Thanks, Tim

If you need a radiator the fbody unit is nice and cheap. The Powerlogger is nice to have .

This is a no brainer... Sounds like your car needs a new Radiator & a 160* thermostat.

My car responded nicely to running cooler. Less ping.

~JM~

Powerlogger will do you no good if you overheat your car and F*@^ up the motor.

Get the aluminum rad.

get the fbody alum rad, usually around $100 brand new and super effective. When i installed it last spring, didnt even need to turn my fans on till summer. But im also located in bc, canada.

I would go to your cheap parts store and get the fbody rad. They are 100 bucks or less and work flawless

The save a tiny bit more and get the power logger.

Those rads at Mikes are beautiful and work well.

I prefer to have the power logger so I don't really break something major.

hope this helps

I hear alot of people saying f body rad. What years will that have to be 93-02.

I would get the rad if it is only $100 with the 160 thermostat and still get a power logger. The power logger is a must and from what I've heard that the f body rad will cool your car with the 160.

Powerlogger for sure, your car is running normal summer temps. assuming the A/C is on in the 90 degree heat.

An aluminum radiator might not help lower those temps.

A hotwired dual fan kit might help more.

I already have the 160 stat and those temps are with out ac. I hear you on the fbody radiator but I prefer a direct drop in with out having to mod anything. I may just get the fans for now & see how it helps next summer. Yes a good tune is key in keeping things together which is why I got the wideband first. Sounds to me like you guys are split 50/50 like me.
If I go fbody radiator, is the external oil cooler necessary? There's a lot of conflicting info out there on that subject. I already have the external trans cooler. Any cutting for the fbody rad install?
All of your responses are greatly appreciated. I'm still on the fence but all info from you guys will be taken into consideration. Thanks, Tim

Go with the radiator! I will be doing the same soon. I'm not going with the F body radiator, only because I want to keep stock oil cooler to keep my car "Stock Appearing". My $.02

You could also look at this Radiator. Supposed to be great quality and keeps the stock oil cooler. Cheaper too!

http://www.arizonagn.com/Products/default.html

I already have the 160 stat and those temps are with out ac. I hear you on the fbody radiator but I prefer a direct drop in with out having to mod anything. I may just get the fans for now & see how it helps next summer. Yes a good tune is key in keeping things together which is why I got the wideband first. Sounds to me like you guys are split 50/50 like me.
If I go fbody radiator, is the external oil cooler necessary? There's a lot of conflicting info out there on that subject. I already have the external trans cooler. Any cutting for the fbody rad install?
All of your responses are greatly appreciated. I'm still on the fence but all info from you guys will be taken into consideration. Thanks, Tim

IMO the stock oil cooler is not necessary at all. I deleted it off my old 95 Cobra when I turbocharged it as well. I recall several people testing temperature before and after and it was a negligible difference. F-body radiator here and it was a HUGE difference in the hot ass SC summer. No cutting at all, bolts right in. Think I got mine for like $90 at Autozone :biggrin:

what do you guys mean when you say f body radiator and what would i ask for at autozone parts store to get one of these ,and is it a direct drop in with the trans cooler and oil coolers for my stock gn.

215 is getting a bit high imo especially without the A/C. I'd go with the radiator first.

the car should be mechanically sound before mods and tuning.i replaced the stock radiator in my car a few years ago,with a pretty expensive unit but the temps never move and the car has a small front mount.totally worth the money.i like to not worry about 100 degree weather and traffic affecting my use of the car.