HELP!!! Need shop to tune/dyno my car

O

ohiogn

Are there any shops in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area that can tune/diagnose my car? Just purchased it and it is not running how it should...(doesnt pull as hard as a car with these mods should) It cant even spin the tires...
Mods:
TE-44
42 lb injectors
Adjustable FPR, Big mouth cold air kit, 3" down pipe, ATR 2.5" duals, ATR header, XP fuel pump, Red Armstrong 93 chip, new valve springs, B&M tranny cooler, Jay Jackson TB and plenum....
At 17 lbs of boost, I would think this thing should boil the tires off it. I just bought the car and have No idea where to start. Guy before me said it was running great until he put some knid of plate between the upper plenum and lower manifold? Seems to idle a little rough and doesnt pull very hard. Previous owner says it has a vaccuum leak...cant find one though.

http://gnttype.org/members/name.html

The link above will show you a lengthy list of TR owners in Ohio.
Try e-mailing a few of em & get their advice.:) You're actually in a state that has alot of Turbo Buick owners & enthusiasts. I doubt you'll have too much trouble getting some help. Good luck:)

I tried the carb cleaner process already and couldnt find a vacuum leak. I'll try to be more thorough and do it again though. Thanks for the info though, it gives me hope that it is not something serious!!!

Check vacuum, should be around 17.
What is your FP set at?
Sounds like you may be running to rich.
Do you have a scantool?
My car does not blow away the Nittos on the low end but does pull hard on the top end.

I would think with the TE-44 and the other mods the car has, it should be really strong. It isnt. It wont even spin the tires when brake torqueing. FP is at 42 I think with the line on...so the previous owner says. I didnt check it yet. I think it is too rich, but that could be caused by a vacuum leak.....

John,

Does Red actually work on them, or just sell parts? Sorry, probably a silly question, but from a newbie to turbo buicks....

Thanks

Does anyone have an idea where FP should be with my combo on 93 octane and about 17lbs of boost? With 42lb injectors and XP pump, i would think it wouldnt need to be much higher than stock?

Re: .

Originally posted by ohiogn
With 42lb injectors and XP pump, i would think it wouldnt need to be much higher than stock?

Wrong answer. FP depends on what the chip burner recomends. If you have anything over 45 psi line off, you are probably way rich. Try 42-43 line off.

Thanks....I'll check it when I get home with the line off.....

Does Red actually work on them, or just sell parts?

Give him a call. Advice is free; parts and labor cost money. He don't do internet. If you need a part, I'm sure a purchase would net you some good information to get on track. A good baseline is definitely worth a few bucks.

You're lucky to be in the Cleveland area; tons of TR action up there, lots of good guys too: GNandGS? (Shawn), re-evaluating (Dave), Red, etc.

Glad to see another Cleveland guy on here. Do you have a scanmaster? If not, this needs to be your next purchase. I'd gladly help ya out, but I'm still learning as well. There is a guy that lives around the corner from me that has a full drag GN, along with a street version. I keep waiting to see the garage door open to pick his brain.

If you ever go out to Thompson dragway, there are a couple of knowledgable TR owners that go there. They all seem to run the maximum times without a rollbar (11.5 1/4), very consistantly. The one runs 10's at Norwalk.

Thanks!!

For the info.....I talked to Red....nice guy. He advised me on some things to check for myself, the first one being to take out the spacer between the upper plenum and lower manifold. He told me to contact a guy named Frank that is a chevrolet mechanic by day and TR racer/mechanic by night and is in the Akron area. If I cant figure it out by this weekend, it will probably be coming his way. Thanks again.

I am in Streetsboro Ohio near Akron. If you guys head out to the track soon, let me know. Actually a friend of mine with a Typhoon is going out next Friday to Dragway 42. If I can get my car running right I will go. Shoot me an email if you ever get together or head to the track at ohiogn@yahoo.com.

Back to the car>>

Fuel Pressure at idle with the line off was set to 50lbs!!! Trned it down to 42 and feels slightly better at idle, but still falls flat on acceleration. I do have a scan master but not hooked up yet. That will come after I take the plate out from between the upper and lower manifolds....at Reds advice. If I cant figure it out soon, I am going to take it somewhere I think....

John (ohiogn),

I'm in Twinsburg. You are welcome to call me at 216/896-2292, days, if you care to get together. I'm 4 miles away.

Hank