You can type here any text you want

HELP the fuel pump does not turn on the normal way

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
HELP the fuel pump does not turn on the normal way

I put the key on ON and nothing
I crank the car and nothing.
If I use the electric fuel tap by the alt. the pump comes on with no problem.

The pump is a walbro 340m
The car has a hot wire set up.
new wiring from the dash to the tank
Where do I start
Thanks
David.

if the factory oil pressure switch is installed and pluged in once the car reaches 5 pound of oil pressure it bypasses the fuel pump relay.

if the factory oil pressure switch is installed and pluged in once the car reaches 5 pound of oil pressure it bypasses the fuel pump relay.

Good to know
Maybe it’s a combo
Bad relay and bad OPS
I guess ill just throw money at it!!
thanks
David

Sounds like the relay has died. First with some help have someone cycle the key on and off while you put your finger on the fuel pump relay under the hood and also the "hotwire relay" where ever it's mounted. Start under the hood on the pass side fp relay as it may control the hotwire relay. Get out the trusty meter and
1: check for batt voltage at the relay
2: check for key on voltage on the "control" wire (87a?) on a gm relay I think. Good luck Jon Hanson

I will go check a relay in the garage and give you a breakdown on the wiring on a GM relay.

OK guys
its the OE Relay.
but if i crank the car for a few seconds it builds oil presure and starts right up.
but i am still going to replace the relay.
thanks
David

with the relay disconnected
if i crank the car for a few seconds (maybe 10) it builds oil presure and starts right up.

is this normal?

yes that is normal. if you have a fualty relay this is a back up. once its reaches a set pressure it will ground the switch and turn the pump on. this is what i have had to do for sometime. my relay was good but for some reason it would never start. come to find out there was a problem with my ecm. sent my ecm to bob bailey and he fixed it up.

yes that is normal. if you have a fualty relay this is a back up. once its reaches a set pressure it will ground the switch and turn the pump on. this is what i have had to do for sometime. my relay was good but for some reason it would never start. come to find out there was a problem with my ecm. sent my ecm to bob bailey and he fixed it up.

thanks
David

Back