Help - Trans Slips in D, OD not in 1, 2

65malibuss

I have an art carr 9" 3000 stall non lockup tc and an art carr shift kit (for non lockup converter). Shift kit is from CPT Transmission, purchased about 3 months ago.

If I start out in Drive or Overdrive, the rpms go up to 3000-3500, boost goes up, but car is very slow and I can hardly feel it shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4.

However, if I start in 1st gear with part throttle or WOT, the car is fast, and when I shift to 2nd at 3000-4000 rpm it shifts fast and hard, then when I shift to 3rd it shifts fast and hard.

So it seems that the trans is slipping and shifting early when I let it shift itself but if I shift it manually it doesn't feel like it's slipping at all and the car flies and shifts great.

I tried resetting my TV cable a few times by pushing button in, pulling cable towards firewall, letting button go, and pushing gas pedal to floor, but I don't think that could be the problem if everything works fine when shifting manually.

Any advice or idea of what the problem could be?
Thanks.

the reason it holds more in the 123 manual gears is because the manual line circuits are designed to have more boost pressure than when you select OD.

You probably already smoked the clutches, but the main reason could be a the pump is worn out and not putting out the pressure anymore, or you have a cross leak on a seal somwhere, who knows? sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

Trans still not right, have more information

I dropped the pan to make sure I had the tv cable adjusted properly, and it was perfect.
I made sure the fluid level was correct, and it was.
There was nothing in the pan other than clean fluid, looked like it just came out of the bottle.
I put the pan back on, refilled with fluid, drove around for a while.
Then I hooked up a pressure gauge.
Pressure in Park, Neutral, OD and D is 100.
Pressure in Reverse, 2 and 1 is 200.
When I pull on the TV cable the pressure in all shifter locations is above 200 psi.
I think these pressures are normal, which means my pump and throttle valve are working properly, correct?
I'm sure the clutches are fine, since I just disassembled and reassembled the trans before putting it in my car, and they looked fine then, and the fluid in the pan is very clean.

So I think something is not right with my valve body - maybe checkball in the wrong place? Or holes drilled too big on separator plate by previous owner for different shift kit?
Any advice?
Thanks.

looks like the pressure is hi in od and d. could you be getting 2nd gear starts?

I guess that's possible

I guess it's possible that when I put it in D or OD it starts out in 2nd. What can I do to fix that?

Also - when I put it in manual 1st and go WOT, it seems to shift itself into 2nd at around 4300 rpm even though the shifter is still in 1st. I read somewhere that it's normal to shift to 2nd even though it's in 1st, but I thought it would be at a higher rpm, maybe 5000-5300?

Thanks.

Fixed

It turns out that I had the wrong governor.
It was yellow and had 2 big weights and 2 springs.
I switched it with the governor out of my spare BRF transmission and it shifts great.
I guess it was starting out in 2nd, shifting at very low rpm's, and not downshifting.
Even on the highway if I gave it full throttle it might have downshifted to 3rd once or twice but mostly it would stay in high gear.

Now it shifts at higher rpm and shifts fast and hard, and downshifts when I punch it.
However, it still seems to occasionally start in 2nd instead of 1st.
If I shift it to manual 1st then back to D or OD then it will start in 1st.
Any idea what would cause that?

Also, my spare governor is green.
I thought they were supposed to be orange?

One more thing - my scanmaster mph readout seems lower than before.
Does the governor drive the speedometer cable?
Maybe the green governor has a different number of teeth than the yellow governor?

sounds like someone sprinkled some voo-doo chicken blood on your car.

I've also exsperiences this similar problem on my LaSabre, that voodoo chicken blood can really screw up a car sometimes!!

Voodoo Chicken Blood

Originally posted by LaBuick
sounds like someone sprinkled some voo-doo chicken blood on your car.

I've also exsperiences this similar problem on my LaSabre, that voodoo chicken blood can really screw up a car sometimes!!

That must be the problem.
Thanks.