HELP-Turbo GURUS, WOT Problem!

Ok 1st JASTRCKL - The car gave the code (i believe code 42) but now that code is not up so I don't believe it is a factor.

I will check for vacuum leaks and replace ALL vaccum lines and check charcoal canister as well as order a billet vac block like CHUCK suggested.

Ormand - I will also blow out the lines from tank pressure and return to check for blockage.

Thanks, anyone else have any other thoughts?

UPDATE! Help Turbo Gurus/WOT problem

:mad:

OK...
I installed a new Billet vaccum dist block and gasket on top of the intake and replaced all of the visible vacuum lines under the hood.

The fuel pressure is still not rising with boost! What now?

Also I noticed, (Maybe another problem), the scanmaster is registering of the scales (all the way to 19 degrees of retard) as far as retard degrees at highway cruising speeds ( not in the boost, just cruising). Don't think this would have anything to do with fuel pressure not raising with boost, but...???

Chuck Leeper:
As far as not getting far enough to the source of the vacuum problem, what about that stuff that GM makes "Upper Intake Cleaner" or something?

the 42 code could be an intermittent indication of some kind of spark system problem. The bigger issue though is that your fp STILL doesn't rise under boost. You need to look into that first. Top Engine Cleaner is that junk you run that smokes up a storm... it'll let you find leaks. hook up a new vacuum line to that metal FPR pipe and see if you can blow through it or something to see if it's clogged. Good luck.

The metal line to the FPR WAS clogged. That is what prompted me to change the vacuum distribution block on top of the intake to a billet on with a new gasket. When I was at it I bypassed the clogged metal line to the FPR and ran a rubber vacuum line straight to it to eliminate it. AND still no pressure rise with boost! What gives?????:mad:

I will try and pick up a can of that Top Engine Cleaner today and try it...

How about riggin' up a vacuum/boost gauge to the fp line to see what kind of changes are occuring???

If you verified that you have vacuum at the fp regulator (set fp at static and hook up the line..and the vacuum should pull the fp down about ~5)...then hook up a boost gauge to the line and make a "light" load run to see if the boost pressure matches the pressure seen at the fp regulator.

Maybe it is a crazy idea, but at least it would tell you if the problem lies with the regulator or not.

Mark

p.s. I wouldn't get too crazy with the boost if you do try this, since fp won't come up to compensate for the boost = knock = possible boom boom = sad owner.

Originally posted by Maltman
How about riggin' up a vacuum/boost gauge to the fp line to see what kind of changes are occuring???

If you verified that you have vacuum at the fp regulator (set fp at static and hook up the line..and the vacuum should pull the fp down about ~5)...then hook up a boost gauge to the line and make a "light" load run to see if the boost pressure matches the pressure seen at the fp regulator.

Maybe it is a crazy idea, but at least it would tell you if the problem lies with the regulator or not.

Mark

p.s. I wouldn't get too crazy with the boost if you do try this, since fp won't come up to compensate for the boost = knock = possible boom boom = sad owner.

You can still do it, just use a vacuum tee on the fp line so the reg still see's the boost.

That is the way I have it hooked up now. Vacuum line to FPR is tee'd on top with the aftermarket boost gauge vacuum line. STILL... boost goes up but not FP....