You can type here any text you want

Help with piston ring gap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickboy

brand new .040 Wiseco pro tru forged pistons/3/16 rings, fresh bore. What is the recommended gap? My machinist tells me .006 per 1 inch of bore which would make gap around .0021???? Same gap for all 3 rings??? planning 25 lb boost + and 6000 RPM shifts.

Mitch

I like

.018 top ring
.021 second ring
.024 --.026 oil ring
This with Speed Pro plasma moly ring--you didn't say what rings you have.

I fitted mine 24 and 24. Guy at Total seal said that equal gaps are getting popular on boosted/nitrous motors!

.018 top ring
.021 second ring
.024 --.026 oil ring
This with Speed Pro plasma moly ring--you didn't say what rings you have.

Lee, i am freshing up a stock shortblock, any idea where to get some standard moly rings?

I tried napa and they wanted over 100.00 for them.

Any help good buddy? Recommendations?

BW

My experience is that the .040 rings from wiseco will net a .020 top & .024 2nd gap out of the box, no filing at all. I had a very reliable source tell me that no one makes a .040 file fit ring in a 1/16th ring set. The conslusion was that these rings are probably a 3.835 ring for a file fit .030 HTH

John

Maybe --worth a try

Lee, i am freshing up a stock shortblock, any idea where to get some standard moly rings?

I tried napa and they wanted over 100.00 for them.

Any help good buddy? Recommendations?

BW

SRS Auto Parts
800--333-7113
Tell them I recommended them--not that the price will be any different--I like to deal with these people. They have about everything drop shipped --you will have it in 1-2 days. Whole sale prices.

I would like to add

I have had more than 1 jobs with Total Seal rings that were .005 oversize so I could file to fit ( as an example 3.820 bore and order 3.825 ring set). In all cases the oil rings were NOT .005 over and I had most, if not all smoke more than they should. The end gap on the oil ring would be in the .040-.050 range. I highly recommend to check your oil ring end gap.

Ring gap

Thanks for everybody's opinions!!! I will check them in the bore and repost my gaps.

Mitch

Measured ring gaps

Ok I measured the top and second ring gaps in #1 cyl yesterday.

Top ring=.0019
second ring = .0021

Opinions?? will be mostly racing at 25 lbs boost at 6000 RPM shifts.

Mitch

Back