Hey Bruce...

Well, how can you measure tv pressure with stock config? I think that guy has a stuck or misalighned Pr system. Something is out of whack. Pressure shouldnt do as he said tho. What was your theory?

Originally posted by WE4
Well, how can you measure tv pressure with stock config? I think that guy has a stuck or misalighned Pr system. Something is out of whack. Pressure shouldnt do as he said tho. What was your theory?
Pressure difference @ min. & full TV, my take is:
Originally posted by HOTTOGO
What is happening is 50-60 is the normal pressure, the 92 is full tv, so you were correct in thinking the valve was sticking and it maybe sticking but it may not be physically. It is either worn (tv valve) and is getting hyd. locked to max position or you still have the exhaust check ball in the vb and the little rod on the lever linkage is missing, the one in the pan that actually pushes the pluger in, it should have a little rod that pushes the check ball off it's seat. I would still recommend the pr system and vb kit from PTS I mentioned above. The only way your gonna know if the prob is the rod and checkball is to drop the pan and vb and also there is a hole in the seperator plate that can be drilled to stop hyd locking, Bruce at PTS if you contact him and purchase the parts can instruct you further.
This basically is his prob.
Originally posted by SSDuane
When I first started the engine, the pressure was 50-60 for the first 30-60 seconds, during which time, it would increase when I pulled the cable. But after that 30-60 second period, it then went up to 92 psi, on its own, and then I couldn't get it to change by pulling the cable. It was like the transmission hadn't had a chance to build up full pressure yet. But, it's the only time I've seen it change its pressure by moving the cable.

Originally posted by WE4
Sticking TV inner valve maybe? hrmmm
Isn't that what drilling tv balance hole larger suppose to prevent, the valve getting hydro-locked at full tv from being worn? and also if the tv exhaust checkball was to remain seated wouldn't that cause similar symtoms? Thanx

Hrmmmm I dont think so.
I still do not , well maybe I am an idiot which I do not discount :), See how you are measuring TV pressure without drilling another port. You can only measure MAINLINE which is totally different.
If mainline is "sticking" at 92 and it is normally 60-65 something else is going on. TV balance is so that with increased line the throttle valve will still react the way it should. Ahh.... you know all those guys that complain that after rebuild and shift kit or PR system increased, car will not shift at WOT till they crack the throttle? I do not believe anybody else modifies the TV balance in kits, or in builds, but us.

( This one is free guys :D )

What it allows is the TV Valve to stroke forward against the plunger spring enough that it "bleeds" the excess and lets the valve stroke to over ride gov pressure to shift.
If it didnt , Gov pressure would be higher and not allow shift to occur till you "crack" throttle, or bounced it off the rev limiter.
What you are really doing (lifting for a split sec) is relieving pressure on front of TV valve for a split second or just enough to get the valve stroking. That is TV balance. TV pressure balanced to Govenor pressure is what it should say.
Anyway... back to the problem. I would have to make a couple changes and see what changes I incurred and go from there. Good one tho... :)

Originally posted by WE4
Hrmmmm I dont think so.
I still do not , well maybe I am an idiot which I do not discount :),

That is HIGHLY doubtful! :D

Originally posted by WE4
I do not believe anybody else modifies the TV balance in kits, or in builds, but us.

Actually out of the ones I've seen Superior, TCI, B&M and Trans Go, beleive it or not Trans Go is the only that does, go figure? :p

Originally posted by WE4
See how you are measuring TV pressure without drilling another port. You can only measure MAINLINE which is totally different.

I realize that, I guess I should have been more clear, it's not max tv pressure I was refering to, but line pressure at max tv cable as per checking press. at min. and max tv cable settings... Ooops :rolleyes:

Originally posted by WE4
Hrmmmm I dont think so.
I still do not... If mainline is "sticking" at 92 and it is normally 60-65 something else is going on. TV balance is so that with increased line the throttle valve will still react the way it should. Ahh.... you know all those guys that complain that after rebuild and shift kit or PR system increased, car will not shift at WOT till they crack the throttle?.... What it allows is the TV Valve to stroke forward against the plunger spring enough that it "bleeds" the excess and lets the valve stroke to over ride gov pressure to shift.
If it didnt , Gov pressure would be higher and not allow shift to occur till you "crack" throttle, or bounced it off the rev limiter.
What you are really doing (lifting for a split sec) is relieving pressure on front of TV valve for a split second or just enough to get the valve stroking. That is TV balance. TV pressure balanced to Govenor pressure is what it should say.
Anyway... back to the problem. I would have to make a couple changes and see what changes I incurred and go from there. Good one tho... :)

VERY VERY well put!!!..... ;) and understood, thanks for the freebe...LOL! I basically knew the purpose of tv balance except for the fact that it balances the gov. press., but I did order a "Principle of Operation" manual the other day so hopefully I won't have to ask stupid ?'s as much in the future... I hope anyway... LOL. I guess maybe I was trying to over simplify the prob., but correct me once again if I'm wrong, if (line) press. is normally at approx. 60 and gets raised on it's own to 92 couldn't it possibly be caused by a stuck tv valve weather or not it is stuck hydraulicly or physically, also would the tv exhaust checkball if it stayed seated? :confused: Thanx again!

Quote by Hottogo

"but I did order a "Principle of Operation" manual the other day so hopefully I won't have to ask stupid ?'s as much in the future... I hope anyway... "

Funny, I don't remember you ordering one.....:eek:

LOL

WE4
Bruce

I know it's involving, but you should expand your "on-line catalog" It took me a while to find that manual, I didn't know you were also a book store.... Duh! :p ... LOL I guess I should have asked... HUH? :rolleyes: