You can type here any text you want

Hey Nick TA cover??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Rob, even with your self-proclaimed "knowledge and experience" about everything in the turbo Buick universe, you are way off base on this subject, and many others that you have "explained"?

Unlike you, others here did grasp the concept that you cannot take a shit machined casting and make it right, but you are too arrogant to admit you were not correct, but like our politicians, your re-direct the facts to support your position. :rolleyes:

Not only is the TA cover machined to much closer tolerances, but changes have been made to internal oil passages for improved flow as well. The most "perfect" stock GM cover cannot match the performance and output of a GM cover, and this is NOT an opinion but facts from much testing and practical use.

I worked with TA over 30 years ago out of his garage at home, and one of the products was modified timing covers for Buick 455 and 350 engines. With your vast knowledge you must know the Buick 350 V-8 and the V-6 share the same cover/oil pump?

Even with the magic Earl Brown, or anyone, does to modify a stock cover, it will not perform as well as a TA cover.

I am not dis-crediting Earl's work or the stock GM cover as I continue to use them, and they have proven to be adequate to 1000 HP or better when in excellent condition. When building a $15K engine for a customer, I do want to use the best parts available, certainly one a critical as the oil pump.

You can continue to make an ass of yourself here as I am sure you will refute the facts I have presented, but I am done with this thread that you have completely trashed. :(

Whoa hold the bus there Nick, I was was not proclaiming my expertise, just what I see and what others have said.

Please set my dumb uninformed ass straight then. Does Ta use the china POS cover and make it right or do they have one made here in the USA and finish machine it??

I will refrain from passing any insults your way at this time as I think you have misjudged me and hope that you will refrain from doing so in the future as I didn't attack you personally.

If I'm wrong I can live with that as long as facts are put out there to prove otherwise. I don't want your opinion, show the cover before and after machining to prove your/TA's point.

They have the same part #s and the only difference is that TA stamps a part # on it and does some machining as far as I can tell.

I think the TA cover is a good cover at a good price for those who can't do the modifications themselves, but it's still just a china cover that's been worked as far as I can see.

If I'm wrong show me where. I'm looking for the truth as are others.

I have been into buicks for over 20 years and have a supply of covers as well as BB engines heads and parts so yes I do know what interchanges.

I will admit that I'm new to the turbo aspect of buicks but I know the machine work end of all the buick blocks and covers.

Please don't insult me as you have no idea of the knowledge I have or don't have.

Last edited:
I rebuild and freshen a lot of Turbochargers. Sometimes even brand-new components from a named manufacturer are out of their own spec. The bearing bores on almost every Garrett bearing housing are out of spec. Not that they won't work just out of their catalog spec. The way something is cast has little to do with how it will be machined. You shouldn't associate overseas production with poor quality either. Poor quality comes from poor machine work and poor inspection. Chances are if the price is too good it's too good to be true

The way something is cast has little to do with how it will be machined.

That's what my understanding of TA's cover is. A china cover that is brought into spec with proper machine work.

China crap isn't all crap either, I have 90,000 miles on a HX40 hybrid that I have on my diesel with no issues at all. Best 225.00 bucks I've ever spent on a turbo, and it was new not used. Four years of use and still like new.

Last edited:
Back