You can type here any text you want

High Temperature Paint for Headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
^^^ I'd listen to what is said here. Yes, Ronnie's my friend but he won't BS you about what does or doesn't work. He does it for a living so he probibly knows what will work best. Al (aminga) also has a point and is learning how to do his own powder coating with Ronnie helping with info. Powder it and don't look back. Is it expensive? Yes! but it will hold up the best after all.

Thanks Charlie. My grandma says hi.

I used this on my 64 Lincoln's manifolds. As far as I am concerned, everything besides this and ceramic coating is temporary. At $20, one container will do at least a dozed V8 headers.

Calyx Manifold Dressing

It seems like its just graphite mixed with toothpaste for a carrier. The carrier just burns off and leaves the graphite shell.

I used this on my 64 Lincoln's manifolds. As far as I am concerned, everything besides this and ceramic coating is temporary. At $20, one container will do at least a dozed V8 headers.

Calyx Manifold Dressing

It seems like its just graphite mixed with toothpaste for a carrier. The carrier just burns off and leaves the graphite shell.

Do you know if there is a temperature when using this? The EGT temps for the turbo buicks manifold's can run above 1600F.

Do you know if there is a temperature when using this? The EGT temps for the turbo buicks manifold's can run above 1600F.

Because of their awkward flow/poor design, my Lincoln headers get to be 'nuclear reactor hot' I forget the actual temps that have been measured. I have had no problem. I believe since it is basically graphite, there is no max temp. Maybe if they get hot enough it will crystallize into diamond?:biggrin:

FWIW, As soon as I get my GN's engine back together, I plan on using the Calyx on my headers, crosspipe, and turbine housing. It definitely is easy to coat, since you just dip in a toothbrush and scrub it on. Smells minty too.:D

Because of their awkward flow/poor design, my Lincoln headers get to be 'nuclear reactor hot' I forget the actual temps that have been measured. I have had no problem. I believe since it is basically graphite, there is no max temp. Maybe if they get hot enough it will crystallize into diamond?:biggrin:

FWIW, As soon as I get my GN's engine back together, I plan on using the Calyx on my headers, crosspipe, and turbine housing. It definitely is easy to coat, since you just dip in a toothbrush and scrub it on. Smells minty too.:D

Thanks.

I like ceramic the best! Here's a few of mine! I do plan to se VHT on my next set because I dont have the money to spend on the new motor but I have used VHT in the past with good results. Just need to make sure you clean them well. I also bake them in the oven at 500deg for an hour. It stinks up the house but it does help.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 871
  • resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 842
I did the VHT silver this weekend on our T's stock headers. They looks great out of the oven lol. We will see how they hold up. They were sand blasted and cleaned, and preheated at 200 in the oven. After they were painted i baked them at 400 for 30 mins and let them cool. I then baked them at 600 for 30 and they are sitting in a box ready to go on the engine.

I sprayed my brand new TA's with VHT flameproof over 2 years ago on a Daily Driver and they are starting to get a lil bit ..reapeat a lil surface rust here and there nothing crazy. So the ceramic coat would be better but for the price the rattle can works well.

Back