Home A/C?

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
What's the rule of thumb as far as BTU's/Size of room in sq. ft.?:D

Different for a split system vs window mount?

I just know that you need 4000 BTU's per/1000 cubic feet. Also you got to factor in the windows, doors and furniture. But normally a standard bedroom is about 1000 sq. ft but there are no 4000 BTU's for an airconditioner so you will have to purchase a 5000 BTU A/C.

Thanks!

So, the general rule of thumb would be 4000/100 sq ft. Give or take? (Hot side of home), etc...

(Can't be per 1000 sq ft.....!! :eek: :D )

If you interested in a split system let me know. I have a good friend that installs and sell split units for home a commercial.

is this for a luxary turbo regal garage? wrenching in the comforts of a/c :D

Screw the BTU Limits...the bigger the better..comes with a bigger elec bill though :eek: I should know...our house has central a/c. our elec bill sees mid $400/mo. sometimes lower in the high $300 range. once it was over $600 cause it was one all day...all night, when we 1st got the house.

HEY GEOFF,

ITS ME JOE, I MET YOU AT THE TRACKS WEDS. NIGHT, GIVE ME A CALL, I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU, I'M AN ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEER, CALL ME AT MY HOUSE #672-4414 OR MY CEL. #222-6456

MAHALO,
JOE

hey..you're a an arch? I hope you're like them idiot architects I deal with :p jk Yo, Geoff...I can ask my boy down at Thermal Engineering Corp about BTU Req. It's part of their life :D to be such air heads.

What is that new bike doing in your sig. chris.....when did you get the bike.....I soooo want one
:cool:

:D I picked bought it with the left over cash from buying books. I kinda have to ghetto some books at the library when school starts next week. but yah...bought it today. :D But its still at the showroom :( I dont have insurance as of yet for the bike..the sales guys there are helping me out the best that they can. You should get one too :D. I'm gonna be like Robert and go over to the south seas shop every Saterday...w00t!

now everyone knows why I dont come to the track....

But heres the plug:

Free hot dogs every saturday 11am-2pm @ South Seas Harley Davidson in waipahu (I'm gonna get my money back for my bike, 1 hot-dog at a time....)

Originally posted by Turtle TR
It's part of their life :D to be such air heads.

oh boy;)

Geoff,

usually for residential construction, we use 350-400 sq ft per 12,000 btu (35-30 btu/sq ft). west facing rooms getting the higher loads. if your rooms have a lot of windows, you may want to add a few 1,000 btu's.

window a/c:
cheapest first cost
not as energy efficient as a split system.
louder.
need electrical outlet nearby.

if you use the window unit, get one that has a "slinger". this will almost eliminate any condensate dripping from the unit.

ductless split

higher cost (~$2500 for a 12,000 btu system)
indoor unit should be mounted on the exterior wall.
be careful of where the condensate drain is routed, especially if you have ground termite treatment. the condensate can wash away the chemicals.

if you want to a/c multiple rooms, the split has a 3 in 1 package where 3 indoor units are connected to one outdoor unit. the hard part routing the pipes from each indoor unit to the outdoor unit.

bigger is not necessarily better. a little bigger is fine, but grossly oversized systems will make the compressor cycle on-off too quickly reducing the useful life of the equipment.

with AC....bigger is not always better

When I had my central air installed and they showed me the outside unit I thought it was kind of small. I asked if I could have a larger system and here is what I was told.....

"Too many people buy a larger system than they need. You do not want a system that is too large for your house becuase it will cool the house down before it removes the humidity. That leaves you with a cold wet house. A smaller unit will get the house just as cool but will take longer to do so, thus removing more humidity from the air."

:)

Re: with AC....bigger is not always better

Originally posted by Renthorin

"You do not want a system that is too large for your house becuase it will cool the house down before it removes the humidity. That leaves you with a cold wet house. A smaller unit will get the house just as cool but will take longer to do so, thus removing more humidity from the air."

:)

I remember someone telling me the same thing a while back. Thanks for reconfirming that. :)